Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is this likely a wheel speed sensor issue or...?

n_hudson

Guys, 

This popped up intermittently, now its on constant... but then does goes away sometimes... and then back... 

Is this likely a wheel sensor problem or maybe a loose connection? 

No punctures, no odd shaped tyres and no issues with pressures. 

Thanks! 

IMG_0473.jpeg

IMG_0471.jpeg

IMG_0475.jpeg

Guys, 
This popped up intermittently, now its on constant... but then does goes away sometimes... and then back... 
Is this likely a wheel sensor problem or maybe a loose connection? 
No punctures, no odd shaped tyres and no issues with pressures. 
Thanks! 
IMG_0473.thumb.jpeg.59d4a28179cb271421ef35d73c1fc902.jpeg
IMG_0471.thumb.jpeg.b028e69ddddbe554e46c6c189c607b45.jpeg
IMG_0475.thumb.jpeg.bac99093d6b71374eb632789140fd5ec.jpeg

Probably an abs sensor, I m pretty sure hill assist uses the abs to hold the car from rolling back. I’d be checking the connections to the abs sensors and cleaning them if needed. Worst case, replace them :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3 minutes ago, Monks600 said:

Probably an abs sensor, I m pretty sure hill assist uses the abs to hold the car from rolling back. I’d be checking the connections to the abs sensors and cleaning them if needed. Worst case, replace them :)

Thanks pal! 

Are the connections replaceable? Not wired into the hubs for example? 

Thanks pal! 
Are the connections replaceable? Not wired into the hubs for example? 

No worries at all! And Yes, there replaceable from what I remember. Think the sensors are about £20 each depending on where you source them from. Don’t need the full sensor and cable, just the sensor... :)

Ive swapped the front and rears left/right and still have the DTC for rear left.So I know its NOT the sensor - I no longer have a DTC for Front Right - I know assume that to have been an old stored code, as its not come back at all.

I've checked the wiring from rear wheel to the inside the car (rubber grommet by rear seat). There's no breaks, no shorts and 12v all the way to the rear wheel - unless it's an intermittent short somewhere further up the loom (from rear seat onwards...)

After putting it all back together for a test drive, no faster than 30mph for around 10 mins, with a few harsh stops, hill starts and stop start traffic with handbrake... There's no ABS light YET.  So, we'll see what happens when I take it for a more spirited drive tonight. 

I was starting to think its was the ABS ring in the hub? 

• 4 weeks later...

FIXED / SOLVED ...?

So, after 2-3 weeks of changing the sensor, hub, wiring extension, measuring the voltage and recording live data... getting into a ford dealer finally came around, after booking the appointment the day the issue first popped up on the dash.

Less than an hour and £65 fee... it seems to be fixed...

The problem...?

The connection from the main loom to the underbody extension. Apparently, the pins had corroded inside the block and this wasn't visible until it was popped off. Pushing multimeter probes into the connection made the circuit complete, so always gave a good reading and with constantly reconnecting and removing, remade the connections... temporary. 

Im still not 100% convinced, but after a long drive yesterday, no fault popped up. If it does, I'll report back about how much I hate this car...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, n_hudson said:

I'll report back about how much I hate this car...

Now now, once she starts behaving herself, you'll fall back in love all over again...🤣

• Haha 1

And... 30 mins on the motorway... Christmas lights are back on. 
I had a quick look underneath and I reckon (pray) that its a loose connection this time, the plugs have dropped from the mounting, so maybe wiggles loose a little. 

• Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...

It’s back and more intermittent than ever. Managed to book into Ford in 2 weeks, for a further in depth diagnostic... which is apparently more costly than a standard diagnostic check. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, n_hudson said:

It’s back and more intermittent than ever. Managed to book into Ford in 2 weeks, for a further in depth diagnostic... which is apparently more costly than a standard diagnostic check. 

You'll find the 'intensive' diagnostic is even more expensive than that, and don't get me started on the 'hyper intensive super dooper diagnostic one'! LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/29/2020 at 4:07 PM, n_hudson said:

Do yourself a favour and find a good independent (local) garage that is familiar with working on newer Ford cars.  It should be a lot less expensive than Ford and even if they just follow the same automated checklist (computer says no etc) at least you're not paying stupid labour rates.

• Like 1

I’m starting to think it’s maybe a power / wiring problem - earth? I noticed the abs module is on the drivers side. I have an issue with the drivers headlamp, sometimes the xenon fails to ignite or flickers off. Also the turning light bulb works for a few days, then doesn’t (bulbs fine). The led drl also flickers when the engine is running, but not with ignition off. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, ford cancelled on me again, 2 weeks in a row. So its now going in on Wednesday. 

Ive started to drive with the radio and fans off, now I can hear a "grrr grrr grrrr grrr" noise, for about 10 seconds before the ABS lights etc come on and the brake pedal seems to vibrate. 

• 1 month later...

Fault has been cleared. 

The SKF ABS hub provided by ECP was faulty. 

After £660ish at Ford, they replaced BOTH rear hubs with THEIR SKF hub units, that came with sensors, as faults had been stored for both sides. 

Fault cleared and has been for a number of weeks now. 

Thanks to ALL who read, commented or messaged me for your help. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club