Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Power shift gearbox

Dmasser

I’ve got 2013 mondeo tax with the 6 speed power shift gearbox and every so often it comes up on the dash as limited transmission

been told changing the oil and filter won’t make any difference 

been told the gearbox needs replacing

1st and second gear change is a bit jerky but the rest are quite smooth, any advice would be great

thanks

I would deffo gamble an oil and filter change. I know a guy who did exactly same thing last week and it fixed it - for now, who knows?? It is suspected that the drain and refill hopefully dislodged a bit of sludge/whatever that was possibly making a valve stick

What mileage is it now.

The oil and filter MUST be replaced every 3 years or every 37.500 miles whichever occurs first.

Get hold of the old filter and let it fully drain down for 1 or 2 days - then carefully examine/scrutinise it for signs of miniscule bits of off white/cream plastic bits - if there are any it is early signs of the front clutch breaking up

Darren, don't want to to put you off track, and this was early Mk5 Mondeo, but just one other suggestion to be aware of

Possibly something else to consider

Not sure of the exact number, five if I remember correctly, goes back quite some time, but reported on Talk Ford site - all Mk 5 diesel vehs. all low mileage Powershift Trans. 

Spanner light came on (sometimes on and off) and message Transmission Limited Function showed. Sometimes jerky trans operation. In all cases everybody/dealer dived to condemn the powershift trans

In all cases it transpired to be faulty EGR Valves 

Thanks Trevor, the mileage is 150000 and I don’t have any service history on the gearbox so don’t even know if the oil have ever been changed

mines the mk4 facelift

1st 2nd  jerky gear change 4, 5 and 6 alotsmoother

Hi darren,

Clutch one controls 1st 3rd 5th and reverse. Clutch two controls 2nd 4th and 6th.

It could be a sticking valve caused by contamination - Personally I would try the oil and filter first. (examine the filter) Have you read up on how the oil and filter procedure is carried out. Labour is not long. It is the oil that is expensive. You need 6 litres. Just shout if you need more info on doing the oil and filter. Quite a few You Tube video's as well - some of them rubbish  

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club