Do Not Sell My Personal Information

125 eco boost thoughts please

neilc04
聽Share

Good morning everyone 馃榿

Im looking at a 2017 67 plate 125ps eco boost are these cars any good, or am I asking for trouble? I鈥檝e noticed posts on the turbo pipes rusting is this a certain year model or does it affect them all. The car will be used on A roads for most of the time 35 miles each way to work. What is everyone getting mpg wise on these cars. 聽I have diesel at the moment but I鈥檓 trying to get away from this.

Can only talk from my experience, but my 64 plate has been good so far. Only 33k, so low milage but no complaints or problems to date.
Bought 10 month old with 2.5k on the clock, Ford direct and dealer serviced.

Sent from my SM-G770F using Tapatalk

I鈥檝e got to admit I so like the look of them it鈥檚 like any car tho, you read some right horror stories. That鈥檚 why I thought I鈥檇 ask on a forum instead. Just a bit weary as I do a lot of miles and wondered if the 3 pot. Could take it

Mines been fine apart from having some creaking on my steering rack which is getting mended under warrenty this coming monday morning . Otherwise I love mine!b8bbf9e75bad65aa9582db83dfa099cd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

5k a year average. Less this year with lock down.

About 6 roughly

I've had my 66 1.0 125 for just over 2 years now.聽 Purchased from Ford dealer when just under 2 years old.

Only problem so far has been the rear door rubber seal coming away - seems to be a common issue.聽 I havent noticed any rusting on the turbo pipes (I had read about this but not sure if its the older models).

Only done a couple of thousand miles this year because of lock-down. Normally about 6-9k per year.

On motorway trips I can get between 50-60mpg.聽 Not sure about local driving as I tend to only pay attention to that kind of thing on long trips.

• Thanks 1

Yes I had the door seal issue, forgot about that. Bit of superglue sorted it.

• Thanks 1

My Mk3 had rusting turbo pipes. I got this dealt with under the TSB that was issued but they are now showing signs of ruast again. I think this problem was sorted on the facelift models, as was the degas hose weakness (which mine still has) so it should be pretty reliable.

The 125 3-pot is a competent engine. It doesn't have the grunt of a diesel but is reasonably lively when pushed. My long-term displayed average consumption is 48mpg. That's based on my journeys all being out-of-town on A-roads and dual-carriageways and generally half-an-hour or more.

• Like 1

I do like these cars but just worry about the mileage that I do just shy of over 15k a year. I wanted to get away from diesel 聽but can a 3 pot handle that type of mileage for say 3 years

I bought one 4 years ago when it was 4 years old with 21,000 on the clock. I have put 12,000 miles on it each year with no significant problems. Other than routine servicing its had an o2聽sensor, one coil spring, a wheel bearing and 6 tyres. The door rubber seals are hopeless but generally I've been happy with it. I'll probably change it next year at 80,000 miles and 9 years old.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

picked up a 15 plate 125 focus as a 2nd car from a dealer when it was 18 months old. not had any major issues what so ever - apart from door seals - superglue to the rescue.

oh, there was one thing:-聽A/C is not climate control. it's either on, or your air is warm. even with the dial all the way to "cold" the cold settings without the A/C on seem to get heated from something somewhere. but when it is on,聽it's aggressively (wonderfully) cold. have had to have the A/C heat exchanger and related hoses replaced when it wouldn't hold pressure anymore a year or 2聽back - that was when we noticed that there was no way to not have warm air vended聽into the cabin without the windows open or A/C working.

also a bit annoyed at drum rear brakes and manual windows in the back - but at the time we were more interested in seeing if the baby car seats fitted when we were on the forecourt.聽no chance of fitting those in a fiesta!

it's done sterling work shlepping us around the聽country. its like driving a happy bouncy puppy. keep the revs up and it's eager. trouble is other folks in the household drive around in too lower聽gear so the revs are way too high at cruise.聽"as that's what their driving instructor told them to do" in the 4 speed nissan micra of the day. so it's only showing 37mpg聽on the trip computer. with our combined driving

did a boys weekend down to Bournemouth in it, and 3 *ahem* additional聽"lads" with full kit, and on that 8 hour run (one way)聽I聽can well imagine the 60mpg published figures are achievable. provided you're not Larry Large on the loud pedal. But it's just too much fun. turbo lag is perceptable - but a giggle, and working it聽through the gears you can hear the wastegate whoosh and chirp.聽all good fun, and at this power, all inside聽the national speed limits too.

ah, while i think of it, the leather boot over the gear stick - i think one of the plastic clips on mine has聽broken so it occasionally comes away from the centre console - just a little push back into place.聽2nd gear is sometimes a pain聽to engage in "spiritied" driving, but i've learnt a little flick up to - but not into first, before down into second - like there's a little bump on the gate - gets round that. not sure if it's just mine, or a "feature".

would buy again, but higher spec with rear discs and leccy windows all round. it's 2020, not 1920 for the love of gawd.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to everyone who has answered my questions on this. Looking at it these 3 pots can easily manage decent mpg,which was my main concern and don鈥檛 mind mileage been put on them. Least I get one year ford warranty on the one I鈥檓 buying to馃憤馃憤馃憤

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone who has answered my questions on this. Looking at it these 3 pots can easily manage decent mpg,which was my main concern and don鈥檛 mind mileage been put on them. Least I get one year ford warranty on the one I鈥檓 buying to[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
Just had my steering rack replaced by ford under warrenty happy chap now!!

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Morty1977 said:

Just had my steering rack replaced by ford under warrenty happy chap now!!

I鈥檓 getting a little creaking too. Mk4 . How bad does it need to be to get steering rack replaced?聽

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alex.S said:

I鈥檓 getting a little creaking too. Mk4 . How bad does it need to be to get steering rack replaced?聽 Mine was only doing a little bit mate when I turned slowly but gradually it went from creaking to clunking... just take it in and tell them . Mine at first was quite a quiet creak so they might do it. Keep us informed

• Thanks 1