Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Insurance Prices??

Adam Wilson

Calling All ST/RS Owners of any generation Fiesta or Focus.

When the PCP Ends on the Fiesta Active i have now ill be wanting something fast (So an ST or RS) and I'm wondering what the insurance quotes will be. when the PCP ends i will hopefully have 4 years no claims and ill be 22, it'll be full comp, kept in a work car park in the day and on a drive at home. So if anyone has similar to that could you let me kn0w the prices? if possible?

All I will say about insurance is these points:
1: Age (young driver + high performance car = very expensive)
2: Price will vary and is very dependent on your postcode, how it is stored, how it is used (SDP+C I assume for you)
3: Driving experience

I think you'd be looking at £1500/£2000 upwards based on the above info. Also, some insurers won't touch drivers under 25 with performance cars such as the ST or RS.
You're looking at something with 200+ps with a lot less experience and are under 25 so it will be very, very expensive.

I'm 36, have got 18.5 years worth of driving experience (quite a bit commercially too), live in a good area, have 4 years NCD and I'm paying £450 a year for an ST-Line 140ps so not a performance or high powered car by any standards. 

41 minutes ago, Nick Y said:

All I will say about insurance is these points:
1: Age (young driver + high performance car = very expensive)
2: Price will vary and is very dependent on your postcode, how it is stored, how it is used (SDP+C I assume for you)
3: Driving experience

I think you'd be looking at £1500/£2000 upwards based on the above info. Also, some insurers won't touch drivers under 25 with performance cars such as the ST or RS.
You're looking at something with 200+ps with a lot less experience and are under 25 so it will be very, very expensive.

I'm 36, have got 18.5 years worth of driving experience (quite a bit commercially too), live in a good area, have 4 years NCD and I'm paying £450 a year for an ST-Line 140ps so not a performance or high powered car by any standards. 

well currently I'm 19 with 1 years no claims and the insurance on my active 100ps is 1600 a year, id imagine when the PCP end it would be about the price you stated 

We might all have died from Covid19 by then...  But seriously, you really can't gauge insurance prices that far in advance.   I'm shocked by just how much prices have gone up and I'm not that old lol!

I was 22 5 years ago...and only paid £300 to insure a 2.0 306 GTi6 (167bhp).  My insurance has remained around £300 a year ever since, regardless of how fast/slow/expensive/cheap/old/new the car was...  The only surprise I've had was a 320D that would have me double!  Presumably because it's RWD...needless to say I didn't buy it.

31 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

We might all have died from Covid19 by then...  But seriously, you really can't gauge insurance prices that far in advance.   I'm shocked by just how much prices have gone up and I'm not that old lol!

I was 22 5 years ago...and only paid £300 to insure a 2.0 306 GTi6 (167bhp).  My insurance has remained around £300 a year ever since, regardless of how fast/slow/expensive/cheap/old/new the car was...  The only surprise I've had was a 320D that would have me double!  Presumably because it's RWD...needless to say I didn't buy it.

im really just looking for an idea incase its possible 😂😂 but i wish my insurance was 300 a year, id have so much more money

1 minute ago, Adam Wilson said:

im really just looking for an idea incase its possible 😂😂 but i wish my insurance was 300 a year, id have so much more money

I honestly don't know how your generation can afford to drive. :sad:  

7 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

i know me either. before my fiesta i had a 2007 corsa and that was 1500 on insurance 😲

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Lol and here's me worrying that my next renewal might go over the £200 mark for the first time in 50 years!😀

Getting vaguely back to the point I do wonder if a higher performance car is worth the hassle nowadays, tbh. I was seriously thinking about something nippy again (Gti/ST or above) for a few years last blast in a petrol car before we all have to go electric. The more I think about it though, most places I drive are 60 limit max, you can easily keep that up in a Fiesta without having to slow down much for bends, so what am I going to do with another 100bhp or so? Get to 60 about 3 seconds quicker?

The other factor is speed enforcement. Not that many years ago when enforcement was by human being, not camera, you needed to be doing something really stupid to get pulled. Now it's all like that annoying Meerkat, "all automated". It's very rare now I can complete a journey without seeing at least one camera van or officer with a hand held - we drove back from the coast the other day (about 60 miles) and I spotted 3.

25 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Lol and here's me worrying that my next renewal might go over the £200 mark for the first time in 50 years!😀

Getting vaguely back to the point I do wonder if a higher performance car is worth the hassle nowadays, tbh. I was seriously thinking about something nippy again (Gti/ST or above) for a few years last blast in a petrol car before we all have to go electric. The more I think about it though, most places I drive are 60 limit max, you can easily keep that up in a Fiesta without having to slow down much for bends, so what am I going to do with another 100bhp or so? Get to 60 about 3 seconds quicker?

The other factor is speed enforcement. Not that many years ago when enforcement was by human being, not camera, you needed to be doing something really stupid to get pulled. Now it's all like that annoying Meerkat, "all automated". It's very rare now I can complete a journey without seeing at least one camera van or officer with a hand held - we drove back from the coast the other day (about 60 miles) and I spotted 3.

I do see your point, speed enforcement and speed limits are factors however what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas as they say 🤫😂 but its also about the fun factor. yes it might only be getting to 60 that bit quicker but the amount of fun goes up tenfold with a sportier car

50 minutes ago, Adam Wilson said:

I do see your point, speed enforcement and speed limits are factors however what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas as they say 🤫😂 but its also about the fun factor. yes it might only be getting to 60 that bit quicker but the amount of fun goes up tenfold with a sportier car

Lol, I don't mean to discourage you. It's just that it's a lot harder to keep things in Vegas nowadays than it used to be! In a way we have the same dilemma - you want to scratch your itch while you can, before time runs out for petrol cars and I want to give mine one last scratch before time runs out, period!

If you feel a serious need for speed, you could always look at trackdays etc, I've had some good fun that way particularly on 2 wheels and there's no nasty cameras there!😀

speakng of track days ive been thinking of making a track car when i can afford it but thats for another thread elsewhere

• Like 1

My daughter is 24 and has an Audi TT, the 3.2 V6 jobbie, it's an oldun (2005), she pays £900 for that on a limited mileage / modified car policy through Brentacre, that is a group 40, the STs are a 34 and the RS is a 38.

Probably better to save up for a house instead of buying hot hatches and track cars...you might just about have a mortgage deposit together before your 50th birthday... :biggrin: 

I agree with the sentiments above though.  There's something special, a certain je ne sais quoi as they say in Spain, about an ST or a GTi that the 'lesser' models just don't have.  I've been hankering after a Golf GTi myself (Focus ST doesn't suit my needs sadly)...I could afford the insurance, fuel and tax...just not the purchase price with the spec I actually want. :sad:   Though on the other hand, the slower depreciation will be better when the time comes to sell...

Hi.

Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you wish.

We'd also send you a free goody bag too for just getting a quotation at the moment.

Regards,

Dan.

The best 'goody bag' any insurance Company could give any driver is to stop ripping them of with over inflated premiums.

Scenario is, under 25 x sporty car = boy racer.

13 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

13 hours ago, Adam Wilson said:

i know me either. before my fiesta i had a 2007 corsa and that was 1500 on insurance 😲

Going back 18 years, I had a 1996 1.2 Renault Clio RL as my first car and that was £1650 for the first year fully comp. I dread to think how much it cost for the younger ones these days to get insurance for a car, even an old one (unless mummy and daddy pay for it all). Even policies with black boxes and restrictions on driving conditions are expensive for young drivers. 

What the OP has to remember is that an ST/RS or other high powered car like a GTi is a prime target for thieves, hence the steep insurance prices. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DAN@ADRIAN FLUX said:

Hi.

Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you wish.

We'd also send you a free goody bag too for just getting a quotation at the moment.

Regards,

Dan.

What's in the goody bag, Dan?  A litre of petrol?  A windscreen decal?  An air-freshener?  :biggrin: 

6 hours ago, Nick Y said:

Going back 18 years, I had a 1996 1.2 Renault Clio RL as my first car and that was £1650 for the first year fully comp. I dread to think how much it cost for the younger ones these days to get insurance for a car, even an old one (unless mummy and daddy pay for it all). Even policies with black boxes and restrictions on driving conditions are expensive for young drivers. 

What the OP has to remember is that an ST/RS or other high powered car like a GTi is a prime target for thieves, hence the steep insurance prices. 

My first year was £1,500 8 years later!  1997 1.4 306 Miami... It was cheaper to insure than anything small and boy racery like Fiesta's, Clio's, Saxo's and 106s.  Though I never could win the one-way system grand prix out of college in the evenings, mates VTR always had the edge there... :biggrin: 

I'd suggest there will be a big difference between RS at ST prices.  The ST is just a daily driving, all round hot hatch, whereas the RS is a 'drivers car' that only has one purpose and that's not the school run or the daily commute...  I've just checked and it'd cost me £75 to change to a petrol ST3...but £105 to change to an RS.  Both 2017 Focus's.  Not much as a figure for me, but 25% difference is going to be a huge amount on a 22 year olds prices!

Interestingly, it'd only cost me £20 to change to a 2017 Golf GTi Performance...only 5 less BHP than the Focus ST but considerably cheaper to insure...  Work that one out!  

Nick Y wrote.....

The theiveability of a young drivers car has nothing to do with the cost of the premium, it's based on their inexperience and statistics that they are more likely to be involved in an accident than an older more experienced driver.

On 9/19/2020 at 2:55 AM, Nick Y said:

the corsa i had was fly comp, 7k miles with a black box and still was 1500 quid which is alot for a 17/18 year old with a part time job