Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wiring up tow bar - relay + wire colours for rear lights?

Fordster1

Hey folks, I'm gonna be wiring up a tow bar on a Mk2 2010 focus hatch, would anyone be able to tell me the colours of the wires at the rear lights for the indicators, parking lights and brakes.

Also, do I need a canbus bypass relay for this car, I got 1 but not sure I need it? 

It's just the normal tow bar plug I'm fitting, not the caravan plug with it's extra wires / features.

I'm based in ireland too so don't need a indicator buzzer for the MOT, at least I think that's required for the Mot from reading some threads on here in my search.

I see a link to some wiring diagrams in a thread on this forum section, I'll have a look in there again for the wiring colours but if someone could confirm it'd be great. Or perhaps there's a guide to fitting a tow bar on the forum, I'll have a gander in there now too.

Ok, them complete wiring diagrams linked to in the thread link below are absolutely class, fair play to the lads posting them up.

As far as I can make out, for a 4dr mk2 the rear lamp wires are:

Pass Side

Parking = Orange / White

Brake = Black / Green

Indicator = Blue

Drivers Side

Parking = Orange

Indicator = Blue / Red

Can anyone tell me if I require the canbus bypass relay? Also, can anyone tell me if the brake and tail lights share the bulb like with VW's where if the brake bulb goes the tail compensates for it, therefore you only need either the tail or the brake wire into the relay. Is the Focus the same or do they not have this bulb/wire sharing feature?

• Like 1

Anyone able to inform me of a good spot to get a wire through from the car out into the engine bay, any easily accessible existing grommets or such?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club