Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ignition keys swap?

tommy1340millar

My replacement mk 2.5 estate only came with 1 x key.

I have a scrap mk2 estate and a scrap mk 2.5 estate each with 2 x keys.

What would I need to change to have 2 x keys?

If it helps, message me or email please.

cheers, T

Key barrels for drivers door, bonnet and ignition (which also contains transponder ring). Then there's BCM and instrument cluster.

I'm not 100% on whether you need to swap ECU itself. Obviously can't use the BCM from one car with the instrument cluster from the other. You can use the lock barrels from either car provided you swap the immobiliser chip and transponder ring.

• Like 1

It can be done much easier.

Just order a pre-cut keyblade on AliExpress for about €10,-. The keyblade can be ordered based on the key code or a high quality picture of the key. My experience is that these keyblades are decent quality (comparable with the original keyblades). Once the new keyblade is installed on any of the spare keys the key can be used to turn on the ignition. Next the PATS immobilizer transponder inside the key can be programmed into the PATS system using a simple ELM327 interface and the free Forscan software. Finally the remote central locking functionality can be programmed by performing the procedure described in the owners manual.

• Like 2

Cheers for replies, guys!

I've been trying to find out how deeply "embedded" the car info is in the GEM.

I got caught out with my 1st mk2 and bought a brand new one from Ford, (£315 & vat back in 2011) and had to pay another £100 to get it programmed to the car.

I initially thought about swapping the GEM from scrap car into new car, to see if it would be fooled as regards spec level, but my worry is that; unless I'm able to change to the new car's chassis number, there would be a clash.

(all this for a 2nd key!!)

On the Focus MK2/MK2.5 the GEM module has nothing to do with the PATS immobilizer system. The GEM only controls the remote central locking. A new (or used) remote can easily be programmed by performing the procedure that is described in the owners manual.

The Focus MK2/MK2.5 PATS immobilizer system is fully integrated into the PCM and the instrument cluster. The transponder keys are actually stored in the instrument cluster. The instrument cluster is synchronised (paired) with the PCM. If the instrument cluster detects a valid programmed PATS transponder key the instrument cluster will communicate with the PCM through the CANbus network. Based on this information the PCM will disable the PATS system.

As I already wrote before you only need a new keyblade for the spare key and a suitable diagnostic system  to program the PATS system. Programming an additional PATS key is just a 10 minutes job.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club