Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chip tuning

Declankellyy

I have a MK3 Ford Focus 1.5 ecoboost with 182bhp red edition, I have been looking around for chip tuning and remaps to improve performance and have just received one from RaceChip which will take me to 234bhp with 310nm of torque, is the engine built to handle this? I also have a K&N air intake. Has anyone used racechip are they reliable? 

I believe the 1.5 ecoboost engine in the Focus is the same as the one in the Fiesta ST which can go up to 255ish. I think you'll really need to put an induction system on to get the best out of it though. It would be best to get it on a rolling road before and after putting the chip on to make sure that you're getting what you're paying for.

• Like 1

Okay that’s cool, thank you for the advice would I need more then the K&N system I have on there now, is so what do you recommend!

Do you have a K&N panel filter or is it a K&N induction kit? If it's a panel filter then I know the tuning places recommend a full induction kit to get the best out of their chip products, it could of course just be a ploy to sell you an induction kit though! I've not got one of these kits so I can't say for sure if you *need* one though.

the clutch isn't designed to cope, the gearbox and drive shafts won't be impressed.  you need to ask yourself, do you want to put a clutch in it soon and do you regularly hold it on full throttle at 5k rpm for more than 5 minutes... if not then don't bother tuning the engine

work on affording better tyres, adjusting the geometry, maybe swapping out certain suspension bushes, buying some 1k each dampers, changing the pad material for the brakes, removing the sim card and battery from any mobile devices in the car and going on some how to drive courses are ideas that are potentially helpful....   almost the last bit any car needs to upgrade is the engine

if we're honest

40% of the time other road users limit how much power you can use
30% the driver is inadequate
20% the road conditions aren't suitable
5% where you are unable to overtake
5% the wrong people are watching you

leaving you less than 5% where more power can be applied sensibly....  and of the other 50% that's therefore possibly accessible, 20% is limited by law / jail term, with the remaining 30% working best with the list I wrote above...

• Like 1

Frowma it is not just a panel filter I have it is the 57S performance air filter, I will get the chip tune as this should keep the engine cool enough.  

1 hour ago, Botus said:

the clutch isn't designed to cope, the gearbox and drive shafts won't be impressed.  you need to ask yourself, do you want to put a clutch in it soon and do you regularly hold it on full throttle at 5k rpm for more than 5 minutes... if not then don't bother tuning the engine

work on affording better tyres, adjusting the geometry, maybe swapping out certain suspension bushes, buying some 1k each dampers, changing the pad material for the brakes, removing the sim card and battery from any mobile devices in the car and going on some how to drive courses are ideas that are potentially helpful....   almost the last bit any car needs to upgrade is the engine

if we're honest

40% of the time other road users limit how much power you can use
30% the driver is inadequate
20% the road conditions aren't suitable
5% where you are unable to overtake
5% the wrong people are watching you

leaving you less than 5% where more power can be applied sensibly....  and of the other 50% that's therefore possibly accessible, 20% is limited by law / jail term, with the remaining 30% working best with the list I wrote above...

Wise post, I had a 'superchips' installed on my 1990 RS Turbo. You could definitely tell the difference on 'before' and 'after', though I also had some brake upgrades, and uprated shocks as well. You are correct to point out that engine upgrades should be the last on the list of various other component upgrades, but the young will always go the route of the most flashy ads of 'increased power' LOL (I know that, 'cos I use to be young too!)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StephenFord said:

LOL (I know that, 'cos I use to be young too!)

So was I - what the heck happened?😀

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club