Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Battery upgrade

Bill Hughes

Hi all my 1.8 petrol Focus needs a battery, at the moment it has a 071 would it be a problem to fit a more powerful 096 in it ? thanks for any advice     Bill

2 hours ago, Bill Hughes said:

Hi all my 1.8 petrol Focus needs a battery, at the moment it has a 071 would it be a problem to fit a more powerful 096 in it ? thanks for any advice     Bill

096 is longer so you will have to check that it fits first👍

071= L 266 x W 175 x H 220mm     096=L 278 x W 175 x H 190mm👍

Thanks Richard I think it will go in ok, I have both an 071 and an 096, just wondered if the alternator would handle it

5 minutes ago, Bill Hughes said:

Thanks Richard I think it will go in ok, I have both an 071 and an 096, just wondered if the alternator would handle it

As long as your alternator is generating about 14.6 volts i think it will charge your battery with no problems👍

1 hour ago, Bill Hughes said:

A Bosch S5 is an excellent battery upgrade 

I've fitted one in my focus, as I have alot of accessories, purchased from royal batteries in London during lockdown they delivered the promise in the mist of disaster as im an essential worker and needed the battery but everywhere local was like a ghost town 

Thanks for your replies and advice, If it goes in I will fit it, glad to hear about the good service you received from a London company Lenny as I was born in London and am still a proud Londoner even though I now live in West Sussex  Cheers  Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2020 at 4:37 PM, Bill Hughes said:

Thanks for your replies and advice, If it goes in I will fit it, glad to hear about the good service you received from a London company Lenny as I was born in London and am still a proud Londoner even though I now live in West Sussex  Cheers  Bill

It should definitely fit mate, I recently upgraded my wife's 1.8 MK2.5 Focus to a Bosch S5 without any problems.

An in terms of the increased battery capacity, think of it like using a bigger bucket.  it will initially take longer to fill but once full it only takes the same amount to refill as the smaller bucket (assuming neither is getting heavily depleted, which they shouldn't be unless something is wrong).  You just end up with a MUCH bigger reserve of power.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1979Damian said:

It should definitely fit mate, I recently upgraded my wife's 1.8 MK2.5 Focus to a Bosch S5 without any problems.

An in terms of the increased battery capacity, think of it like using a bigger bucket.  it will initially take longer to fill but once full it only takes the same amount to refill as the smaller bucket (assuming neither is getting heavily depleted, which they shouldn't be unless something is wrong).  You just end up with a MUCH bigger reserve of power.

All things being equal the higher the Ah the longer the battery takes to discharge👍

Thanks for all your replies, not had chance to change it yet but will keep you posted for future reference.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bill Hughes said:

Thanks for all your replies, not had chance to change it yet but will keep you posted for future reference.

look forward to hearing some positive change in the future 

• 2 weeks later...

Fitted the 096 ok, it was ok length and width but a bit taller so could'nt use the holding down strap and am now trying to make a strap that will fit

Bill

40 minutes ago, Bill Hughes said:

Fitted the 096 ok, it was ok length and width but a bit taller so could'nt use the holding down strap and am now trying to make a strap that will fit

Bill

The 096 is 30mm taller as I said👍

Actually Richard you said the 071 was 30mm taller than the 096

6 minutes ago, Bill Hughes said:

Sorry my mistake.I’ll have another look at that now👍

14 minutes ago, Bill Hughes said:

Just double checked the dimensions, they are correct.The 096 should be shorter by 30mm.Why do you need a longer strap?

You were probably right with your dimensions Richard but got the height A about F as the 096 is the taller that's why I need a longer strap

51 minutes ago, Bill Hughes said:

You were probably right with your dimensions Richard but got the height A about F as the 096 is the taller that's why I need a longer strap

According to looking at the spec the 096 is shorter by 30mm.

the length is not the problem it's the height

30 minutes ago, Bill Hughes said:

the length is not the problem it's the height

The 096 is shorter in height by 30mm than the 071 according spec that I have read unless someone knows better.

Hi Richard not sure if I need to go to specsavers but the battery in it was an 075 which is the correct fitment however the 096 is 15mm taller that's why I need a longer strap, my apologies for the confusion

Bill

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club