Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Best house paint advice.

jace1969

I'm in the middle of doing one bedroom out and want to paint it white but im a novice on house painting but i do want a bit of a shine.

Doing walls and ceiling but want a nice thick paint so i don't have to do 3 or so coats but what is the best make even a budget one.

Looking at Johnson silk emulsion and is this the right sort, to be honest ain't got a clue and even asda/wilko/etc.ones

1 hour ago, jace1969 said:

I'm in the middle of doing one bedroom out and want to paint it white but im a novice on house painting but i do want a bit of a shine.

Doing walls and ceiling but want a nice thick paint so i don't have to do 3 or so coats but what is the best make even a budget one.

Looking at Johnson silk emulsion and is this the right sort, to be honest ain't got a clue and even asda/wilko/etc.ones

For optimal results take time to prepare the walls, 

ae235.jpeg.jpg.fa1bc896393bf3e44f51f2577c331e9d.jpg

Purchase some ronseal "Big Hole" ready mixed filler and some P100 sand paper or preferably an orbital sander, 

I highly recommend Ronseal big hole compared to any other type because it drys out very very, light and easy to sand requires alot less sanding compared to other filler types; it hardens fast then absorbs paint to become very solid when paint is applied, 

There is another type of ronseal filler looks the same but it's not "big hole" it's "five minute multi-purpose" as saw here👇

ae235.jpeg-1.jpg.e6e92c10916fb1c77742b7eee983f3f0.jpg

Although it is essentially the same tac and slightly cheaper; It's colour is white which is difficult to see for sanding on a white wall, where this big hole variant is scratch card Matt grey in colour and easy to see for sanding.

Fill any imperfections and sand smooth, 

Wheather you do that or not really is optional but smooth walls make a huge difference, 

IMG_20200924_190829.thumb.jpg.5615da3f7c3c0b4968f969d577444821.jpg

Second then is an essential; wash the walls prior to painting using a solution of sugar soap and a cloth or my personal favourite is to purchase a pack of cheap J cloth and make a solution of warm sugar soap to wipe down all walls which prevents any lumps in the paint, also available in ready mixed form; I recommend purchasing from Poundland rather than the DIY shops as there's a mammoth difference in the price for the same chemical solution. 

Allow to dry overnight prior to painting, 

Also depending on the previous colour and various surface colours; it may take two or even three coats of paint to appear correct, 

unnamed.thumb.jpg.59229196e8e84eb7b105680501e43518.jpg

We used Fleetwood premium white acrylic when preparing all rooms for the finished colour; it wasn't the cheapest 10 litre bucket in the shop but the results are impressive, also used Stanley roller and never let it touch the ground or ceiling, 

342709xlg.thumb.jpg.1868cc41ac4a5adad4e46b6be4d82a1a.jpg

Wrap the tray & roller with cling film to prevent them from drying out between coats of pain on the walls. 

My home improvement thread may also be of interest: 

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/80864-living-room-project/

All of the preparation work really pays off in the end,

it's a difficult effort which is required only once especially on a new build, but the next time painting is required there's alot less preparation involved. In my opinion all of the effort helps you to relax in the environment when completed as you can admire the work.

10 hours ago, BigLen said:

For optimal results take time to prepare the walls, 

ae235.jpeg.jpg.fa1bc896393bf3e44f51f2577c331e9d.jpg

Purchase some ronseal "Big Hole" ready mixed filler and some P100 sand paper or preferably an orbital sander, 

I highly recommend Ronseal big hole compared to any other type because it drys out very very, light and easy to sand requires alot less sanding compared to other filler types; it hardens fast then absorbs paint to become very solid when paint is applied, 

There is another type of ronseal filler looks the same but it's not "big hole" it's "five minute multi-purpose" as saw here👇

ae235.jpeg-1.jpg.e6e92c10916fb1c77742b7eee983f3f0.jpg

Although it is essentially the same tac and slightly cheaper; It's colour is white which is difficult to see for sanding on a white wall, where this big hole variant is scratch card Matt grey in colour and easy to see for sanding.

Fill any imperfections and sand smooth, 

Wheather you do that or not really is optional but smooth walls make a huge difference, 

IMG_20200924_190829.thumb.jpg.5615da3f7c3c0b4968f969d577444821.jpg

Second then is an essential; wash the walls prior to painting using a solution of sugar soap and a cloth or my personal favourite is to purchase a pack of cheap J cloth and make a solution of warm sugar soap to wipe down all walls which prevents any lumps in the paint, also available in ready mixed form; I recommend purchasing from Poundland rather than the DIY shops as there's a mammoth difference in the price for the same chemical solution. 

Allow to dry overnight prior to painting, 

Also depending on the previous colour and various surface colours; it may take two or even three coats of paint to appear correct, 

unnamed.thumb.jpg.59229196e8e84eb7b105680501e43518.jpg

We used Fleetwood premium white acrylic when preparing all rooms for the finished colour; it wasn't the cheapest 10 litre bucket in the shop but the results are impressive, also used Stanley roller and never let it touch the ground or ceiling, 

342709xlg.thumb.jpg.1868cc41ac4a5adad4e46b6be4d82a1a.jpg

Wrap the tray & roller with cling film to prevent them from drying out between coats of pain on the walls. 

My home improvement thread may also be of interest: 

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/80864-living-room-project/

All of the preparation work really pays off in the end,

it's a difficult effort which is required only once especially on a new build, but the next time painting is required there's alot less preparation involved. In my opinion all of the effort helps you to relax in the environment when completed as you can admire the work.

Cheers for that it's a great help,i was looking at white being the main coat just over paper as its only painted now so just paint over it.

I have filled the holes and sanded them down ready to go so its just paint but every website i have read says white emulsion and if a little shine get silk one.

As a few knows on here i lost my dad 7 weeks ago and was a carer for 14 years at home with mom and then dad.

It's a council house so don't want to go to much on price just want to do 1 bedroom out so it's all empty and ready but i do want it nice and look fresh even if not 100%

3 hours ago, jace1969 said:

Cheers for that it's a great help,i was looking at white being the main coat just over paper as its only painted now so just paint over it.

I have filled the holes and sanded them down ready to go so its just paint but every website i have read says white emulsion and if a little shine get silk one.

As a few knows on here i lost my dad 7 weeks ago and was a carer for 14 years at home with mom and then dad.

It's a council house so don't want to go to much on price just want to do 1 bedroom out so it's all empty and ready but i do want it nice and look fresh even if not 100%

Silk paint looks nice and reflects light if the room is a bit dark.  But it shows up every imperfection which could be a problem in an older house. 

You might be better off with matt.  The main problem with matt is that it can't be cleaned and just comes off if you try to wipe a mark off it.  Shouldn't be a problem in a bedroom though so it's up to you.  You can also buy 'scrubbable matt' nowadays which is meant to be more hard-wearing.

The main thing is to buy some branded paint imo, generally it doesn't smell as bad and coverage is better than the cheap stuff.  Worse paint I've ever bought was Wickes Trade paint...only useful for traders paid by the hour with the amount of coats it took! :laugh: 

If you have a look in the reduced section at B&M or The Range etc, you might find some super cheap branded paint.  I got a 5 litre Crown Matt for just a quid when I moved in here! 

As for white, it can make a bedroom feel a bit cold, a slight peachy colour, even Magnolia, can give a bit more warmth to a room.

4 hours ago, jace1969 said:

glad to see you keeping busy with some project work mate, I can understand it can be difficult to maintain motivation given the recent events, but its great to see you progressing with something which will help improve your own health in the future as your making the area different and that's a real positive,

keep it going man 👍

9 hours ago, BigLen said:

glad to see you keeping busy with some project work mate, I can understand it can be difficult to maintain motivation given the recent events, but its great to see you progressing with something which will help improve your own health in the future as your making the area different and that's a real positive,

keep it going man 👍

Thanks mate it means a lot words like that,i just take every day at a time and try and set some stuff to do each day, the hardest job in my life looking after 2 parents single-handed 24/7 right up to the end and it does pay toll on your health in a massive way,14 years area i was a carer.

Its like a mini project the 1 bedroom and just do bits a day.

• Like 1

Done the ceiling which i know its never going to be A1 as it needs a complete strip down but as long as its clean and fresh it's ok for me,one coat did it as it was white before and its got this polystyrene edging around it which will need a few coats,i got the Johnson's white paint in 5L tubs and very thick and aint dripped using roller on sealing.

The walls are a 50/50 like a tint green and pinkish and tried a test and it will need a good few coats but going to do 2 big walls first.

Large brush seems to leave brush marks so as i have 6 spare rollers ends i think i might use roller, paint around the edges the roller it in one complete roll top to bottom.

What a pain,got some Johnstone emulsion and its very thick and don't drip so all good there but my what a pain to do.

Anyone tried to paint over a Lime green wall that's been up for a good 25 years, doing 2 main bedroom walls first as the big ones,2nd coat on one and see a bit but it's going to take a good 3 or 4 coats as it covers it and cant see the colour under the white paint but still the area very faint if you understand what I'm saying.

When painting white over a strong colour, you should use a white primer first ideally.  Otherwise it will take quite a few coats until it's totally solid white.

Thick paint does tend to drip as you end up putting it on thick so it runs. With thick emulsion you can thin it with about 10% water for both brush and roller application.

We tend to do a thin first coat because it shows up and imperfections in your prep - quite often you need to do a bit more filling and sanding to get a good finish.

Always start with the cutting in, that will be much easier if walls and ceiling are both going to be the same colour.

Comment above re matt and silk was spot on, with silk you see defects more. Artex ceilings look fine with silk, it shows off the pattern.

You will be very lucky to find any white emulsion on a clearance, white always sells. It is quite often on a deal, and generally because you use it on ceilings buy a large tin for better value.

I renovate property for a living, done enough decorating to know my microporous paint from my thixotropic gloss

2 hours ago, fiestaecoboostman said:

Thick paint does tend to drip as you end up putting it on thick so it runs. With thick emulsion you can thin it with about 10% water for both brush and roller application.

We tend to do a thin first coat because it shows up and imperfections in your prep - quite often you need to do a bit more filling and sanding to get a good finish.

Always start with the cutting in, that will be much easier if walls and ceiling are both going to be the same colour.

Comment above re matt and silk was spot on, with silk you see defects more. Artex ceilings look fine with silk, it shows off the pattern.

You will be very lucky to find any white emulsion on a clearance, white always sells. It is quite often on a deal, and generally because you use it on ceilings buy a large tin for better value.

I renovate property for a living, done enough decorating to know my microporous paint from my thixotropic gloss

Your spot on, its silk as i did want a little shine to it, ceiling only took one good coat is it was white anyway.

I gave it a quick first coat and then sanded a bit more of the few holes i filled, it's never going to be A1 but a good cover to make it nice a bright and fresher and looks ok does me.

I will give the 2 big walls 3 coats and leave it dry and see how it is, its getting there as 1 wall had 1 coat and other 2 and you can see its getting there.

To be honest its trial and error as first time i ever done anything like this,dad passed away 8 weeks ago just trying out one bedroom as all here on my own.

Last thing is a cheap carpet after painting done but going to keep not a lot in there once done as i have cleaned a lot out.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club