Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Annual service costs - pure fiction

K Coles

This week, I had the two year service, and the five year service on our two identical Focus Ecoboosts. £225 each.
Two year service has pollen filter change and wheels off. Five year has neither. 
So Ford concoct a HIGHER labour cost for LESS work on the five year, to fiddle the bottom line.
Equally annoying is screenwash being itemised for the first time (at £5 plus vat, for a top up ... yep, the stuff we buy a gallon of in Tesco for two quid). Mine was to the brim, when I took it in 😡

• Like 1

1 hour ago, K Coles said:

Equally annoying is screenwash being itemised for the first time (at £5 plus vat, for a top up ... yep, the stuff we buy a gallon of in Tesco for two quid). Mine was to the brim, when I took it in 😡

Yeah, that one's narked me for years as mine is always brimmed when it goes in. Some dealers at least leave the unused bottle of screenwash in the car for you.

*Takes car to main dealers for servicing*

*comes back wondering why you got ripped off*

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, K Coles said:

Been there done that! And questioned them! Guy behind the desk speechless when I told him the washer bottle was full already so how can it have been filled up, quickly refunded.

Another bugbear is when they put on the list that all hinges have been oiled/greased! This is easily spotted because white spray grease is used, two times they have written that the hinges have been greased and pretty clear they have never done this at all. 

28 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

Careful...this meme format isn't always taken lightly on here. :whistling: 

On the subject of screenwash though, don't buy the cheap blue stuff from Tesco, it'll clog up the pump and then they'll charge you to clean that out at the next service! :tongue:  Prestone is currently half price in Tesco though! :biggrin: 

You might go to the main dealer to keep up breakdown cover.

I remember an Indy once who were otherwise really good, quality work, decent prices but they would always add a "failed numberplate bulb" on to a service or an mot.  I stopped using them eventually.

5 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Careful...this meme format isn't always taken lightly on here. :whistling: 

Lol!😃

• Haha 1

On 9/26/2020 at 9:13 AM, Luke4efc said:

I thought that's why all dealers (whatever manufacturer) are nicknamed 'Stealers'.  In a similar way that Halfords are nicknamed by some as 'Halfrauds'.

Every business is out to make money tbf, they wouldn't survive otherwise.  

Main dealers make most of their money on servicing...they're not going to be pleased by you doing half thier job.  In the same way a kitchen fitter wouldn't be pleased by you asking to screw on the cupboard doors to save the last hours labour charge...

Main dealers have big shiny showrooms in expensive locations to pay for, whereas Dave working on one ramp under a railway arch has considerably fewer overheads to cover.

I must admit, I'm not a fan of 'business' at all...it all feels like you're getting pasted in one way or another.  

I often watch programmes like Salvage Hunters and wonder how it works...  If Drew can sell something for £1000, why would the owner of the item sell it to him for £500 instead of selling it privately themselves?  I know he gets some items restored...but even then, the owner could also have had the item restored!

8 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Main dealers make most of their money on servicing...they're not going to be pleased by you doing half thier job.  In the same way a kitchen fitter wouldn't be pleased by you asking to screw on the cupboard doors to save the last hours labour charge...

That's like most people who ask for help on here lol. Ask for help diagnosing something then run off to Ford telling them how to do their job because someone on a Forum told the customer one possible fix.

Either way, you shouldn't be paying the dealer £5 to top up your screenwash. That's like paying for next day delivery from a shop that's 2 doors away from you...

• Like 1

Agree a price up front. If your not happy with that price, don't go there. No rocket science. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luke4efc said:

That's like most people who ask for help on here lol. Ask for help diagnosing something then run off to Ford telling them how to do their job because someone on a Forum told the customer one possible fix.

Either way, you shouldn't be paying the dealer £5 to top up your screenwash. That's like paying for next day delivery from a shop that's 2 doors away from you...

More than once I've been told not to believe everything I read on the internet...  Read on the internet?  I'm writing the ***** internet! :laugh: 

Generally in regards to MOT, where the manual is publicly accessible, and not just someone's opinion on a forum. :rolleyes: 

The servicing is fixed price as far as I understand?  The screenwash is included in that. I'd be sure not to top it up for a month beforehand lol.  Technically you can do the whole service yourself for less...  It's only £5 anyway, not much compared to the rest of the service and assuming it's sub 3 year old car, you've lost more in depreciation leaving it in their car park for the day...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

The servicing is fixed price as far as I understand? 

Yes, that's usually the case so I do wonder why they bother showing the individual prices for oil, filter, fluids etc.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club