Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Puma ST

Guy Heaton
聽Share

I think it looks hideous. Those headlights and bonnet looks like it was borrowed from the Nissan Juke. Infact the car in general reminds me of a Juke; something that looks large on the outside but has about as聽much room as an old Metro聽on the inside.

I don't see why you'd buy a Puma ST over a Fiesta ST.

Ford have given the 1.5 the same hp but more torque to offset the extra weight and currently the lsd is only an option, unlike the Fiesta st3.

Quite interested in this, but it all comes down to the seats for me. If they're the same as the Fiesta ST, it's definitely no deal!馃槂

Quick browse of the web suggests a price of 拢28,500 plus 拢950 for the LSD etc, so over 拢30k by the time you've added metallic.

Quite near Focus ST territory, and I've seen suggestions that the new BMW 128ti (265ps, auto standard) and Golf GTI Mk 8 will start around 拢32k and there's that pesky Hyundai i30N at just under 拢30k also. Hmmm........

For 拢4k more I'd rather get the Focus ST. It's quicker and more practical. If you're over 6ft good luck sitting in the back of a Puma. I'm 6ft2 and I can't see out of the rear windows without ducking聽

I'd not pay 30k for it.聽 Fiesta st3 with lsd is only 25k.

Plus you can get pre reg Focus ST for 28/29.

On 9/27/2020 at 1:55 PM, Guy Heaton said:

MK4 Focus STs start from just under 拢25k from聽Ford Direct. Unless you're getting a massive discount on the RRP a new Ford is way, way overpriced (IMO)!

On 9/27/2020 at 1:55 PM, Guy Heaton said:

Orrrr just people get out of this obsession about having a brand new car and buy a mk3 RS with 1 owner and sub 20k miles for that sort of money. The RS would wipe the floor with anything Ford releases in the near future (apart from the mustang obvs)...

On 9/30/2020 at 9:18 PM, Luke4efc said:

Orrrr just people get out of this obsession about having a brand new car and buy a mk3 RS with 1 owner and sub 20k miles for that sort of money. The RS would wipe the floor with anything Ford releases in the near future (apart from the mustang obvs)...

If people stopped buying brand new cars, there would be no second hand market. Plus the final cost of the car is not the overall cost you need to look at. Will it cost more to tax, insure and service?

• Like 1

Fair point. Plus I would guess most of these will be acquired on finance anyway, so it largely depends on how the monthly payment stacks up.

1 hour ago, shawty1984 said:

If people stopped buying brand new cars, there would be no second hand market. Plus the final cost of the car is not the overall cost you need to look at. Will it cost more to tax, insure and service?

True, but lots of people end up buying awful cars because they think it'll be better than a second hand one.

As of 2017, all cars pay a flat rate of 拢150 (some exceptions but whatever). The first year tax is based on emissions and the Fiesta ST comes out at 拢540. So really it costs more to tax a brand new car than a used one...

Insurance companies seem to pluck numbers out of thin air it seems, but they don't charge more because a car is newer (same model/spec etc.).

Unless you're having a cambelt change at 100k or whatever, servicing costs around the same no matter how old the car. Most people with a new car聽go to Ford for servicing and get shafted anyway as they'll want the pointless "Full Ford main dealer history".

1 hour ago, Luke4efc said:

True, but lots of people end up buying awful cars because they think it'll be better than a second hand one.

As of 2017, all cars pay a flat rate of 拢150 (some exceptions but whatever). The first year tax is based on emissions and the Fiesta ST comes out at 拢540. So really it costs more to tax a brand new car than a used one...

Insurance companies seem to pluck numbers out of thin air it seems, but they don't charge more because a car is newer (same model/spec etc.).

Unless you're having a cambelt change at 100k or whatever, servicing costs around the same no matter how old the car. Most people with a new car聽go to Ford for servicing and get shafted anyway as they'll want the pointless "Full Ford main dealer history".

You're forgetting the Mk3 RS has more horse power than both the Mk4 and Mk3 ST which could mean higher running costs including insurance.聽

An RS is a different beast to an ST as well...聽 I have no desire for a 'race car' at all...would rather have the slower all rounder myself.

Don't forget a brand new car includes manufacturer warranty...anything at all breaks, it gets fixed for free...聽 Awkward and inconvenient yes, but you haven't had to pay anything extra.

Horses for courses at the end of the day, there wouldn't be so much diversity in cars if one suited everyone. :smile:

Hi.

If anyone ever needs any help with insurance for one of these then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

On 9/27/2020 at 9:25 AM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I've seen suggestions that the new BMW 128ti (265ps, auto standard) and Golf GTI Mk 8 will start around 拢32k

Now confirmed as 拢33,320 and 拢33,460 respectively.

• 1 month later...
On 9/27/2020 at 12:33 AM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Quite interested in this, but it all comes down to the seats for me. If they're the same as the Fiesta ST, it's definitely no deal!馃槂

Just seen a "first drive" report on this which states the seats are "identical to those in the related Fiesta ST". Bah!馃槨

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2020 at 12:01 PM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Just seen a "first drive" report on this which states the seats are "identical to those in the related Fiesta ST". Bah!馃槨

Yeah bit of a deal breaker. I will be happy with my 155 vignale, thanks 馃檪

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/5/2020 at 4:13 PM, Yokomoko said:

Yeah bit of a deal breaker. I will be happy with my 155 vignale, thanks 馃檪

This aged poorly. Dealer ordered a 125 vignale instead of 155. So I bought the ST. Absolutely love everything about it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Yokomoko said:

Absolutely love everything about it.

Even the seats?馃槂

On 12/23/2020 at 3:18 PM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Even the seats?馃槂

Strangely enough, yeah. I can see why some would have issue with it, but me and the Mrs are quite slim and neither particularly tall so they hug us well (which is good considering the 50% stiffer suspension from the standard Pumas!)

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club