Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

NHS COVID-19 App

Linds

I have a new Focus Titanium Mk4 and a Samsung Galaxy S10.  They have worked perfectly happily together until I installed the NHS app - now I get random disconnections so I've decided to uninstall the app.

In cases such as this it always transpires I am to blame for some reason or another!  Anyone with any knowledge or advice, I'd be happy to hear from you. 

I don't know how to fix it but the app uses bluetooth to detect how close you are to other phones.  I'd assume it's conflicting with the bluetooth connection in the car when it's scanning for other devices.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I don't know how to fix it 

Me neither, but I have heard of various problems with this app. Main one I believe is that your phone has to be running Android 6 which rules ours out for a start. Also heard of false alarms etc and people being alerted when they hadn't even been out that day.

So possible interference with in-car bluetooth could be another issue?

• Like 1

If you car starts coughing, I would isolate it for the next 5 days as per government guidelines...🤠

• Haha 4

I can't remember the last time I switched my bluetooth on so there's no point me downloading it. 

Also have no idea which Android I'm on but it looks like 6 was released in 2015 so your phone would have to be pretty old not to have updated to it?

There's only one person I'll be within 2 metres of for extended periods anyway...and that's my neighbour on the other side of the wall! :laugh: 

7 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

If you car starts coughing, I would isolate it for the next 5 days as per government guidelines...🤠

I saw a Mk2 Golf with a For Sale sign on it along my road last week...sign said 'coughs and splutters when cold'...I didn't even consider that it might have caught Covid! :laugh:  Glad I didn't park mine within 2 metres of it!! :unsure:

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Glad I didn't park mine within 2 metres of it!! :unsure:

Tom, you'll be fine, just get one of these... LOL

1115742967_carmask.thumb.jpg.fd4c0521630870ac3bc5b80c01bd091f.jpg

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I have heard of various problems with this app

Been out walking this morning, but just got round to looking at the Sunday papers over a cuppa, and there's lots on this. Words like "fiasco" and "shambles" feature prominently.😃

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Been out walking this morning, but just got round to looking at the Sunday papers over a cuppa, and there's lots on this. Words like "fiasco" and "shambles" feature prominently.😃

With respect, if the PM had rescued a ship load of abandoned puppies, the press would still be out to get the government. It's just the way the press works. No matter what they do, lock down hard, lock down too soft, give out £Billions to support citizens, not give out enough £Billions, they'll never win in the eyes of the press. mmm... just thought, this post may have a political slant which may not be allowed - if it isn't, please delete.., :laugh:

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

With respect, if the PM had rescued a ship load of abandoned puppies, the press would still be out to get the government. 

Particularly if they were asylum-seeking puppies!😃

No, in general I agree with you on the press. In this case though, we were talking about technical issues with the app which is what these press reports are focussing on today. There are various mentions of interference with other bluetooth devices which is what the OP referred to.

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

it looks like 6 was released in 2015 so your phone would have to be pretty old not to have updated to it?

Haha my phone is pretty old (like it's owner before you get that one in!😃)

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

... we were talking about technical issues with the app which is what these press reports are focussing on today. There are various mentions of interference with other Bluetooth devices which is what the OP referred to.

Releasing 'software' is notoriously full of pitfalls. When MicroSoft released Windows 8, it was that full of flaws and bugs it nearly folded them. (They spent 4 years developing it, not a few months)

Even the software that is backed by the mighty Ford has numerous glitches as witnessed on this forum when this thing isn't compatible with that thing, and an ever ending stream of 'updates' to solve issues which invariably just cause further different issues LOL

I despair at the development of 'driverless cars' for that very reason...

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Releasing 'software' is notoriously full of pitfalls.

Couldn't agree more. At the risk of going dangerously off topic and getting a telling off from admin, I remember when we were having new IT systems at work. Functional managers like myself were just wanting something that would work reliably in the hands of the least tech-savvy members of staff but the IT bods had got the group board sold on the ideas of "cutting edge", "world class" and other such buzz words. Needless to say.........😃

Yeah, driverless cars don't exactly fill me with enthusiasm either!😃

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Couldn't agree more. At the risk of going dangerously off topic and getting a telling off from admin, I remember when we ...

Staying 'off topic', I worked for a company in the 90s where they selected a new IT director. To their absolute credit, the person selected came from the pool of operation management and knew very little about IT, however, they did know what us 'op' people needed from their IT, and it worked out incredibly well. No fancy bells & whistles, just reliable data that we needed, and easy to use! (the company's boss still supports a beard and sadly his airline is under much stress right now )

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Tom, you'll be fine, just get one of these... LOL

1115742967_carmask.thumb.jpg.fd4c0521630870ac3bc5b80c01bd091f.jpg

I have just got to make one of those and put it on my car when I get to work. But risky ( excuse the term) to drive with it on or it might end up covering the windscreen. 😷😷😷😂😂😂

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, iantt said:

I have just got to make one of those and put it on my car when I get to work. But risky ( excuse the term) to drive with it on or it might end up covering the windscreen. 😷😷😷😂😂😂

Don't forget to cut holes in it for the radiator and air intake! :wink: :whistling:

3 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Don't forget to cut holes in it for the radiator and air intake! :wink: :whistling:

Like you do with your face mask, cut holes for mouth and nose😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, iantt said:

Like you do with your face mask, cut holes for mouth and nose😂😂😂😂😂😂

Exactly that! :laugh:

Just now, TomsFocus said:

Exactly that! :laugh:

So much easier to breath and be heard. 

9 hours ago, Linds said:

Thanks v much for the replies, everyone.  Such a witty lot!

Shame we don't have the wit to answer your original post!😃 Hopefully as more users download it onto phones that are paired with other devices, such as cars, the issue might become clearer. Can't try it myself as my current phone is too old as I mentioned.

A point worth remembering that the Covid app is only badged as NHS it's been done by SERCO and we know that track record also you can only add SERCO test to it, so it data will be wrong.

• Like 2

ive had the nhs app for a few weeks now and phone connects fine to my mondeo using my samsung 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, iantt said:

ive had the nhs app for a few weeks now and phone connects fine to my mondeo using my samsung 

Wasn't it only released 5 days ago in England & Wales?

i had it before as nhs volunteer responders had early access to it

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club