Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Drum To Disc Conversion

wellzy

read a while ago in fast ford magizine about being able to bolt the back brake set up from an st onto a standard fiesta and now my back drums are on borrowed time i wanna give this conversion ago. i was told it would have to be the back brake system off an st but would it also work if i took the system off a puma?

Id be interested to see how much of an improvement it makes.

I'm happy with the Disc/drum setup to be honest. :)

Id be interested to see how much of an improvement it makes.

I'm happy with the Disc/drum setup to be honest. :)

i've been told it makes a massive difference but mine are that bad that the back ones don't feel like they are working. there oright when there new but a few years down the line bit of wear tear and they are as useful as paperweights.

My mate works in a rally shop, said he could set me up with a st rear axel with discs for £350, not confident about it though.

when i use my dads x-trail which has discs all round when you go down the country roads and brake hard it does feel more secure under heavy braking. only thing i can say is take a fiesta with discs on the back for a test drive and see if you like the different brake set up.

anybody know where i could get some secound hand parts off a st or a puma to do this?

thanks karl

anybody know where i could get some secound hand parts off a st or a puma to do this?

thanks karl

ive done the conversion on my focus. what year of fiesta have you got?

ive done the conversion on my focus. what year of fiesta have you got?

2004 fiesta mk6 non facelift.

not sure about a puma but certainly a 1.8 or 2.0 focus (98-04) or fiesta st.

if you go down the route of buying a complete axle like i did, strip all the parts from it - dont try and fit the axle.

you will need to find a set of long brake hoses too or go for goodridge braided ones.

many people think putting the discs on the rear will make alot of difference but it makes pretty much none what so ever - thats a good thing, you dont want to upset the brake balance! but it does however mean that maintenance is easier and no fiddling with springs and setting up shoes. the discs can also cope with the heat better than drums. i totally cooked my drums one night after an enthusiastic drive, since i done the disc conversion i have done some very hard driving, testing the brakes to the max and have had no issues at all. the goodridge hoses are also a nice touch, keep the pedal nice and firm even when using the brakes hard.

not sure about a puma but certainly a 1.8 or 2.0 focus (98-04) or fiesta st.

if you go down the route of buying a complete axle like i did, strip all the parts from it - dont try and fit the axle.

you will need to find a set of long brake hoses too or go for goodridge braided ones.

many people think putting the discs on the rear will make alot of difference but it makes pretty much none what so ever - thats a good thing, you dont want to upset the brake balance! but it does however mean that maintenance is easier and no fiddling with springs and setting up shoes. the discs can also cope with the heat better than drums. i totally cooked my drums one night after an enthusiastic drive, since i done the disc conversion i have done some very hard driving, testing the brakes to the max and have had no issues at all. the goodridge hoses are also a nice touch, keep the pedal nice and firm even when using the brakes hard.

i've found 2 rear brake calipers off a focus mk1 if they would work?

thanks for the advice.

i've found 2 rear brake calipers off a focus mk1 if they would work?

thanks for the advice.

calipers and carriers?

they will be fine.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FOCUS-98-04-MK-1-2-REAR-DISCS-CAILPERS-HUB-ASSEMBLYS-/120552362051?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c117b1043

ive got 2 spare complete hub/stub axle assemblies in good nick but one of them might need a new bearing soon. if they are of any interest to you i could replace the bearing that feels a little iffy.

EDIT: looking at the 2 hubs i have here, the bearings are fine, one is ever so slightly tighter than the other but they both spin freely with no horrible noises or rough feeling

calipers and carriers?

they will be fine.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FOCUS-98-04-MK-1-2-REAR-DISCS-CAILPERS-HUB-ASSEMBLYS-/120552362051?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c117b1043

ive got 2 spare complete hub/stub axle assemblies in good nick but one of them might need a new bearing soon. if they are of any interest to you i could replace the bearing that feels a little iffy.

EDIT: looking at the 2 hubs i have here, the bearings are fine, one is ever so slightly tighter than the other but they both spin freely with no horrible noises or rough feeling

there perfect, would you take £130+postage for them?

there perfect, would you take £130+postage for them?

ahh, oops. i think ive caused confusion again :huh::lol:

the eBay link i posted up was only really an example to show you what £150 would get you - i really should have made this clear.

what i meant was, ive got 2 hubs/stub axle assemblies that i dont need anymore that are in very good nick. you would still need to get 2 calipers though. i also have 4x abs sensors that i would through in with them too, although you will only need 2 of these.

how much can you get 2 calipers for?

i do apologise mate :(

ahh, oops. i think ive caused confusion again :huh::lol:

the ebay link i posted up was only really an example to show you what £150 would get you - i really should have made this clear.

what i meant was, ive got 2 hubs/stub axle assemblies that i dont need anymore that are in very good nick. you would still need to get 2 calipers though. i also have 4x abs sensors that i would through in with them too, although you will only need 2 of these.

how much can you get 2 calipers for?

i do apologise mate :(

aaahhh right sorry it's my fault, i've just reread what you posted. sorry it's been a !Removed! week!! :lol:

seen 2x rear calipers on eBay for £50 inc postage from a mk1 focus i don't think they have carriers on them hard to tell from the pics.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250617554319&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260588183222&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

how much do you want for the hubs and sensors mate?

aaahhh right sorry it's my fault, i've just reread what you posted. sorry it's been a !Removed! week!! :lol:

seen 2x rear calipers on ebay for £50 inc postage from a mk1 focus i don't think they have carriers on them hard to tell from the pics.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250617554319&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260588183222&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

how much do you want for the hubs and sensors mate?

yeah its not been a great week for me either tbh.

if you go for them calipers, make sure you give them a really good clean up, looks like they have a fair bit of rust and crud on them.

im not sure how much the hubs and sensors are worth so a stab in the dark, £45 posted? the postage for these is gonna be around £10 anyway. you will still need to source some dust shields though, although something tells me they are not that expensive from ford. if i can find any other bits n pieces that will come in handy for the conversion i would be willing to throw them in for you too.

Calipers - £50

Hubs/stub axles - £45

Brake hoses - £15?(think thats what i paid for standard ones)

Dust shields - £15?

Full handbrake assembly - £30

Brake fluid - £5

Discs/pads - £50

brake cleaner and other bits n pieces - £10

total - £220 all in? thats not too bad, i f*cked up and ended up spending a fortune :lol:

EDIT: just looked at your eBay calipers, only one of them has a carrier. but..i have two in the shed, one is painted though.

i will go get some pics for you too, just so you can see what i have.

right, some pics for you if your still interested.

everything seems to have gained a little bit more surface rust from sitting in the shed. bearing caps have the usual marking/dents on them but still in good shape.

ok so ive got the 2 hubs/axles, 4 abs sensors and 2 carriers. if you need one carrier, i can supply all the neccessary bolts and 2 good sliding pin things and 2 boots. i said i was looking for £45 posted, £50 posted if you wanted a carrier.

DSC00231.jpg

DSC00233.jpg

DSC00232.jpg

there perfect mate, so 2x hubs/axles, 4x abs sensors and a carrier for £50? are you ok with paypal.

i'm planning once i have all the bits to clean and paint the rear disc brake parts put the fiesta on axle stands, strip the back drums off, fit new system, strip the front calipers off clean and paint them, some new brake fluid and a service.

cheers mate.

there perfect mate, so 2x hubs/axles, 4x abs sensors and a carrier for £50? are you ok with paypal.

i'm planning once i have all the bits to clean and paint the rear disc brake parts put the fiesta on axle stands, strip the back drums off, fit new system, strip the front calipers off clean and paint them, some new brake fluid and a service.

cheers mate.

yup thats it :) yeah ive got paypal, good with that (i will pm you my email address). i will get the stuff posted out with DHL if you are happy with everything.

Im not sure what fittings the abs wiring on your car will have, if its the same as the ones im sending then you will be able to pick out the best 2. only reason i have 4 is i ended up buying a complete axle and hubs/stub axles and my car doesnt have abs so they are no use to me...

are you going for braided brake hoses or staying with standard ones?

yup thats it :) yeah ive got paypal, good with that (i will pm you my email address). i will get the stuff posted out with DHL if you are happy with everything.

Im not sure what fittings the abs wiring on your car will have, if its the same as the ones im sending then you will be able to pick out the best 2. only reason i have 4 is i ended up buying a complete axle and hubs/stub axles and my car doesnt have abs so they are no use to me...

are you going for braided brake hoses or staying with standard ones?

yeh i'll get the money sent via paypal. the car already has abs sensors fitted but i always like to keep a few spare as theres a few i know with fords. i'll prob go for standard for now and see what there like.

• 3 weeks later...

got the conversion done and thought i would do a little review on whether or not it's worth it.

The total cost was around £150 using parts off ford focus mk1's, i think it a very good mod to do the brakes are miles better now. whenever i slammed the brakes on with the drum brakes all i could hear was the screeching from the front tyres as the abs cut in and it was not easy to control but now with the discs front and back when you slam on the brakes you can hear all 4 wheels workin with the abs to stop it and it not only stops much quicker now but gives you more feeling and control. The other positive side to it the better braking means you can really open the car up on country roads and brake much later. i roped one of my mates in to help me and it took us 2 days to do the conversion getting the old drums and cables off was easy and the focus hubs and hand brake cables just bolted on. the only 3 problems we ran into were:

The rear left abs sensor, where the hole is in the axle for the sensor to sit flush on the stub towards the front of the axle, the hole in the stub for the abs sensor sits towards the back of the axle but there was a hole in the axle that had been drilled by ford so all i did was make the hole bigger, trim and file the abs sensor so it was smooth and round with no mount and it fitted perfectly.

when you mount the focus parts in on the handbrake part of the caliper there's a small spring which rubs against the axle stopping it from working properly, since it was just a small part in the way the axle part can be grinded down so the caliper fits properly cause it's not going to cause any structrul problems or safety problems.

When we got the handbrake cable all hooked up and ran it into the car we had to put an extra nut on the threads of the cable so we could tighten the cable up, the only problem we had was as we tightened it the thread snapped, but i put that down to my own fault as i had a problem with cable that leads from the handbrake to under the car and did damage the threads a little trying to get it out the car.

overall it's worth doing if you know what your doing and does make a difference.

Also Big Thanks To Stef123. B)

woohoo - nice one mate :)

did you manage to get any pics?

sounds like you have done a good job, easy enough really isnt it? just time consuming perhaps on a fiesta with the little mods you have had to make but hey ho job done :)

wich abs sensors did you need to use then? yours or the ones i sent you?

cheers

stef

cheers mate, no the only pic i got was a one of all the brake parts before i fitted them but i will get some pics as i need to zip tie one of the wires for the abs (ran out of zip ties so used duck tape as a temp thing :lol: )

aye easy enough mate, the back right went on perfect back left was a little bit of trouble with the sensor but not that hard to sort, handbrake cable is longer on the focus then the fiesta but again easy thing to sort.

I used one of the sensors you sent me just as a test as i have never trimmed so much off a ABS sensor before just to make sure that once i started trimming the sensor on the fiesta was not gona fall to bits. focus and fiesta rear abs sensors have different plugs so they'll prob sit in my tool chest until someone needs them. roll on the MOT!!

cheers mate, no the only pic i got was a one of all the brake parts before i fitted them but i will get some pics as i need to zip tie one of the wires for the abs (ran out of zip ties so used duck tape as a temp thing :lol: )

aye easy enough mate, the back right went on perfect back left was a little bit of trouble with the sensor but not that hard to sort, handbrake cable is longer on the focus then the fiesta but again easy thing to sort.

I used one of the sensors you sent me just as a test as i have never trimmed so much off a ABS sensor before just to make sure that once i started trimming the sensor on the fiesta was not gona fall to bits. focus and fiesta rear abs sensors have different plugs so they'll prob sit in my tool chest until someone needs them. roll on the MOT!!

ahh, good old duck tape ay :P

i guess ideally the handbrake cable you want then is one from a fiesta st but as you have made the focus one fit then thats good :)

i did wonder about the abs sensors tbh, atleast you made use from one of them.

when is your mot due? you should be able to rule out the rear brakes causing problems atleast :)

focus one was a bit long, only prob i have is the handbrake lever starts to get tight round 8 clicks but it only takes 5 clicks to stop the car from moving. might try and tighten it up but dunno if it's gona snap again.

it's due on the 25th. hopefully get it booked tomorrow. only things that worry me is theres a small oil leak from the turbo (main oil feed line i think) and the wishbone ball joints have no rubbers and last time i checked (last week) no play in them.

oil leek is the main thing that worrys me, not only is it coming from the turbo but where the gasket is between the block and the head there is what looks like oil coming from there but theres no oil in coolant, no overheating, no white smoke and the oil looks a bit runny to be oil. i know i've had some problems with the injection seals so theres a slim chance it could be diesel.

focus one was a bit long, only prob i have is the handbrake lever starts to get tight round 8 clicks but it only takes 5 clicks to stop the car from moving. might try and tighten it up but dunno if it's gona snap again.

it's due on the 25th. hopefully get it booked tomorrow. only things that worry me is theres a small oil leak from the turbo (main oil feed line i think) and the wishbone ball joints have no rubbers and last time i checked (last week) no play in them.

oil leek is the main thing that worrys me, not only is it coming from the turbo but where the gasket is between the block and the head there is what looks like oil coming from there but theres no oil in coolant, no overheating, no white smoke and the oil looks a bit runny to be oil. i know i've had some problems with the injection seals so theres a slim chance it could be diesel.

did the ball joints have rubber boots on them?

how bad is the leak? if its just a minor one, i would give it all a clean up before taking it in for mot to make it look better so atleast you might not get an advisory/fail for it.

the injector seals on the 1.4 are something else, quite poor really

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club