Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyres on rear..Failed MOT...Split inside.

jace1969

Weird thing,got 4 new Bridgestone tyres on my fiesta 1.6 Tit 2 years ago at the same time and one of the best makes Bridgestone newish type.

Do low miles like 2 to 3k in the 2 years but the inside of the 2 rear tires have 2 splits but front are fine still on, don't have any weight in the boot at all or done anything wrong.

Changed and passed now in a few hours after it failed as went and got some average Budget tyres which have close rating to my Bridgestone and half the price of the Bridgestone.

Don't forget when blown up it opens so much you can put a pen tip into it which he did and tyres were the correct pressure as service stated the same day, whats done this.

20200923_154414.jpg

Never found Bridgestone tyres to be very good. Done a load of them on VAG group cars at around 2 year old due to them perishing and cracking badly. Had Bridgestone tyres on my bike, had to change those for splitting less than a year old.

16 minutes ago, stef123 said:

Never found Bridgestone tyres to be very good. Done a load of them on VAG group cars at around 2 year old due to them perishing and cracking badly. Had Bridgestone tyres on my bike, had to change those for splitting less than a year old.

Never had this on any car and had this car close to 7 years and had Budget tyres on ages ago with no problems and never this, won't have Bridgestone again not paying stupid money each tyre to have this happen.

Good Budget tyre from now on with decent rating as these i have now are close,wet and dry are close to the same and noise is lower just fuel which is up 1 level.

I hope you kept the tyres, you may have been sold tyres that could be 10 years old or more. There is a manufacture date on the wall of all tyres so if you do still have these tyres take a good look for the date on them. I was once sold a 'new' battery by a garage that failed after a couple of weeks and found out that it was actually 10 years old, needless to say it was returned for an actual new one, albeit with a bit of a fight with the supplying garage but they could not deny that the date code on the battery told the truth.

If you can send the tyres to Bridgestone for inspection, you should get a refund on them based on how much tread was left (so 50% legal tread remaining, 50% refund).

They won't take your word for it though, they will need to see the tyres themselves.  As Stef says, it's pretty common on OE Bridgestones on VAG cars.

Tyre disposal costs so much at the moment that the garage will probably have just stored them outside somewhere until the disposal price drops, I'd be very surprised if they'd gone already.

No i don't have the tyres as i took 4 pictures of them on the floor of the garage.

I'm going to look at the receipt when the exact date i had them as i have rung the place i had them from and says i would have to deal with it being over 12 months which again if i had the tyres would have been more hassle.

6 hours ago, stef123 said:

Had Bridgestone tyres on my bike, had to change those for splitting less than a year old.

Going back some years now but found Bridgestones very good on the bike. No problems with splitting, possibly I was wearing them out before they had chance to split back then!😃

We have a similar problem with Brigetone tyres cracking on the edge on my mothers 2016 Skoda Fabia.

Turenza ER300, date code, 2416. It still has plenty of tread on them

rsz_img_20200921_181035298.jpg

rsz_img_20200921_181144154.jpg

9 hours ago, jace1969 said:

No i don't have the tyres as i took 4 pictures of them on the floor of the garage.

I'm going to look at the receipt when the exact date i had them as i have rung the place i had them from and says i would have to deal with it being over 12 months which again if i had the tyres would have been more hassle.

My tyre disposal cost is up £1.44 per car tyre at the moment! 

12 minutes ago, stef123 said:

My tyre disposal cost is up £1.44 per car tyre at the moment! 

Went to my local tip on Saturday and noticed they were charging £3.50, per tyre! 😮  I'm sure it was free, pre-lockdown.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Jim H said:

Went to my local tip on Saturday and noticed they were charging £3.50, per tyre! 😮  I'm sure it was free, pre-lockdown.

When i had the car around 7 years ago it had Bridgestone all round so i just kept on them and tried some cheap ones a bit ago.

These were put on around 2 years ago but what's very strange is all 4 are the same type and front are fine and as for the date they were the newer ones when fitted but i can see what you mean by the date.

Where would i find the date as the front ones would be from the same batch so can look at them.

If you look at Jim H post on this thread his date code is 2416 (which means these were manufactured on the 24th week of year 2016.
Have a look for your date code and put it into this handy calculator.

http://www.checktire.com/

12 hours ago, Jim H said:

It's been illegal to put tyres in landfill since 2006.  Our dumps haven't taken them at all for over a decade.  The only option is to take to a tyre garage who currently charge a fiver each for disposal!  Needless to say, the backroads are littered with discarded tyres. :sad: 

2 hours ago, Fiesta1.25 said:

If you look at Jim H post on this thread his date code is 2416 (which means these were manufactured on the 24th week of year 2016.

You learn something new every day.

Must look at this.

Talking of tyres i have just had four new avons on mine 205 40 17. Two of my old i have kept which are way too good to scrap, only done about 4000mile  in them,  i damaged the inside of two similar to yours, could not get a couple of avon zz5 anywere , so if anyone out there needs two avon zz5 to match theres then contact me. Thanks.

Just a thought, but I wondered if the splits on the inner tyre wall could have been caused by straddling speed bumps? Our local council have a particularly nasty variety which is some sort of hard plastic/rubber block bolted to the road and the edges can be pretty sharp. You can get the same effect from the conventional tarmac type where the edges have crumbled away and leave jagged edges.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Just a thought, but I wondered if the splits on the inner tyre wall could have been caused by straddling speed bumps? Our local council have a particularly nasty variety which is some sort of hard plastic/rubber block bolted to the road and the edges can be pretty sharp. You can get the same effect from the conventional tarmac type where the edges have crumbled away and leave jagged edges.

I see what you mean but as far as i know round here they're large but most smooth edges no big holes or corners and its on both back tyres so if so the hole/edges would have to be on the both sides but i do see what you say.

Also, the fronts are A1 so i would have thought i would have had some on either one on the front.

Ian 318.........you said you damaged yours the same so the inside,how did you do this as im just looking to see if i could of done it but it don't add up being same as front and as old/wear.

Rubber band tyres with very low profiles are prone to damage from potholes and the like because the sidewall height is low and they have little elasticity. One only has to experience the ride to know what a pasting they are getting. They do not look too be standard for the car. Have they caught on something during "spirited" cornering?

On 9/30/2020 at 8:35 AM, TomsFocus said:

It's been illegal to put tyres in landfill since 2006.  Our dumps haven't taken them at all for over a decade.  The only option is to take to a tyre garage who currently charge a fiver each for disposal!  Needless to say, the backroads are littered with discarded tyres. :sad: 

Technically it's a recycling centre, I just nickname it the tip! 😛  It has skips for garden waste, metals, rubble, plasterboard tyres, fridges, etc

On 9/30/2020 at 8:29 AM, Fiesta1.25 said:

I knew how to work out date codes, that's why I mentioned it.  It's a 2016 car (66 plate) car so tyre is the original one.

In contrast I have the spare wheel from my brothers 06 Fiesta, it too is a Bridgestone (B391) dated 4th week 2006,  that has no cracks all. I'm guessing being stored in the boot, UV light hasn't damaged them.

Beggared if I can see why UV light would have damaged the inside and not the outside!

• Like 1

To look at the tyre it looks fine just that area and its on these 2 tyres and inside.

Well there gone now and new ones and MOT but the garage was confused about them as so much tread left and seems both through the Bridgestone name on both.

12 hours ago, Jim H said:

Technically it's a recycling centre, I just nickname it the tip! 😛  It has skips for garden waste, metals, rubble, plasterboard tyres, fridges, etc

They get money back for the recyclable items like garden waste, wood, metals, electronics etc though. 

Aside from the general waste (landfill) bin, our council dumps won't take anything that costs them to dispose of like, tyres, paint, coolant, etc.  They will take plasterboard, but only if it's clean and dry, and you're charged £2.50 a sheet!

It seems mad to me though...as cleaning up fly-tipping costs them far more per year than if they'd just accept ALL waste in the first place. :g:

Back on topic, I did think about this thread yesterday... 

Was on a wet single track backroad and moved as far left as I could in a passing place that was partly under water.  Sadly the road had fallen away under the puddle and I felt/heard both wheels get dragged into the chasm and scrape along what I presume is a sharp road edge inside the tyre sidewall!  I'm on balloon tyres so hopefully they'll be ok (will know if they're flat on Monday morning!) but I dare say low profiles may not have taken that so well!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club