Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Drl

IRONMAN

Hi, Would anyone know if it is possible for my aftermarket drl's to be switched on with the sidelights when the car (2012 focus) is unlocked, and then work as normal from the ignition? Cheers

Depends on the DRL controller, but if you tap into the sidelights wiring to provide power then it should work.

• Like 1

If you tap into the sidelights then the DRLs will only come on when the sidelights are on. If you also put a DRL controller on them as well you might need to put a diode in the circuit to stop the DRL circuit feeding back to the sidelights. The DRL controller I used on my old car turned them on when the ignition was active, they also stayed on for 10 seconds when the ignition was turned off.

• Like 1

Last time I tried to come up with a solution to this i was thinking of make/break relays and alsorts. You might just be able to get a DRL controller (which normally is ignition fed and dims when the sidelights come on). Instead of wiring it to an ignition live use the interior light with a diode inbetween. Just check where you wire it in to ensure it has 12v only when you unlock the car.

• Like 1

Yeh the question has been asked many times. The drl controllers do make it come on with the ignition. There was one I had before that came on based on the voltage alone and also had the wires to dim when the appropriate one came on that was tapped to. This was on my old mk2 which did not have the sidelights come on by pressing the button. If you can obtain a controller that does that same job then it could be tapped to come on when the sidelights are on hence when you press the key then when the dipped lights come on it will dim if you tap the appropriate wire to a dipped headlight. The only problem with the voltage only ones is they are slightly delayed on and off. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the info guys, I have the white dimming wire connected to the red positive so they are permanently dimmed and still look good, I presume this will do no harm, and still be road legal. So is it right for me to think that the sidelights have 2 live feeds (1 for normal use and 1 for lock/ unlock? 

23 minutes ago, IRONMAN said:

Thanks for the info guys, I have the white dimming wire connected to the red positive so they are permanently dimmed and still look good, I presume this will do no harm

Why don't you just move it to the dipped beam for the sake of 20 minutes work and then have them work properly lol. Kinda defeats the point of the controller having them dimmed all the time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luke4efc said:

Why don't you just move it to the dipped beam for the sake of 20 minutes work and then have them work properly lol. Kinda defeats the point of the controller having them dimmed all the time.

Cheers Luke, that's the plan next dry day 😉 I think the dipped beam is pin 10 blue/brown 👍

2 hours ago, IRONMAN said:

Cheers Luke, that's the plan next dry day 😉 I think the dipped beam is pin 10 blue/brown 👍

The clouds parted, the sun shone down, job done 😂👍

5 minutes ago, IRONMAN said:

The clouds parted, the sun shone down, job done 😂👍

Lucky you belting down forever here. Enjoy your drls. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, F0CUE said:

Lucky you belting down forever here. Enjoy your drls. 

Thanks Ian, a dealership mechanic (off duty) fitted drl's for a friend of mine, my friend said they were wired to empty fuse 37 and they come on with the engine running, and not with the ignition on as with the piggy back fuse 42

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club