Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stolen Fiesta

Bobr

Could I ask members to keep an eye open for a stolen Race Red Fiesta FL 17 HXZ.   Stolen this morning.

• Sad 5

Yes Tom.   Police reckon they used a device to 'read' the key.

• Sad 4

Sorry to hear that Bob, hopefully it will be recovered in near same condition as you last left it in. I know you are a proud fiesta owner mate and am devastated for you.

When you say they read the key, is your car keyless entry, I cannot remember if you said previously.

Hope it comes back home, Bob.keyless is not difficult to disable, disconnecting the aerials beneath the centre console is sufficient to prevent it from working.

47 minutes ago, Mavroz said:

Sorry to hear that Bob, hopefully it will be recovered in near same condition as you last left it in. I know you are a proud fiesta owner mate and am devastated for you.

When you say they read the key, is your car keyless entry, I cannot remember if you said previously.

Yes mate, it is keyless entry.

23 minutes ago, tomshepp said:

Hope it comes back home, Bob.keyless is not difficult to disable, disconnecting the aerials beneath the centre console is sufficient to prevent it from working.

If it comes back I'll have a look at that Tom.

Modem equipped cars could conceivably be switched off remotely with a password but for the rest, I use a £20 gps tracker, wired in to the car on a Giffgaff sim card which returns the Google map location to my phone I haven' t yet hacked the tracker in order to switch the car off and deadlock the doors but it does alert to movement so in all probability could easily be adapted to do so.

• Like 1

Anything makes it stand out from the rest ?

I live in Mansfield Woodhouse so local.

Sons mate had a Fiesta ecoboost, blue one with a lovely interior & bodykit, his car was found on a lane near Newark, the whole interior & bodykit had been removed.

3 hours ago, Bobr said:

Yes Tom.   Police reckon they used a device to 'read' the key.

Sorry to hear that.  I doubt it'll come this far south but I'll keep any eye out!

If the fob is kept near the front door, it's fairly easy to relay the keyless signal across to the car.  You can keep the fob in a Faraday pouch or metal tin to stop any signal getting through.  Alternatively, you can switch off the keyless entry function altogether.

Very sorry to hear that Bob. Fingers crossed for a good outturn for you.

1 hour ago, Ian Lanc said:

Anything makes it stand out from the rest ?

I live in Mansfield Woodhouse so local.

Sons mate had a Fiesta ecoboost, blue one with a lovely interior & bodykit, his car was found on a lane near Newark, the whole interior & bodykit had been removed.

No Ian, it's bog standard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Very sorry to hear that Bob. Fingers crossed for a good outturn for you.

Thanks Roger.

Sorry to hear your bad news, will keep a look out in loughborough area,

• Like 1

Ah sorry Bob. 😞 That really sucks. I hope you get er back.

• Like 1

Fortunately I have both fully comp and gap insurance. Insurance claim is in and the insurers don't think it will be coming back.   I am thinking of replacing it with a new 2020.75 Titanium X 1.0T Ecoboost 125PS 7 Speed DCT Auto.    Incidentally, this car comes with a key that detects movement and if it doesn't detect movement for a certain amount of time it switches itself off.

• Like 2

Stilll hackable though Bob. See if the Keyfree entry can be programmed out at delivery.

Hacking and deadlocking the car would be awesome but probably illegal in our nanny state.

Not quite sure what you mean, Guy. The motion sensing key can still be hacked by thieves. My car has to have an adaptor fitted in order to use the OBD. If you don't, the rearranged wiring tends to destroy the port of the device connected to it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tomshepp said:

Stilll hackable though Bob. See if the Keyfree entry can be programmed out at delivery.

New Fiestas don't have keyholes (that you can easily access) and the keys have the "key" hidden inside the fob as well.

If or when the replacement car comes it will be having two devices when left overnight.   The first is a device that locks the brake pedal to the steering wheel so that the car can't be started and the second is the device that locks onto the steering wheel so that it can't be turned.   Further to that, I've bought a box from amazon that acts as a Faraday Cage and all of our car keys will be residing in that.

• Like 1

Sensible precautions, nothing’s safe from the scum these days. Sorry to hear about your loss and will keep eyes peeled around Leicester.

• Like 1

Just heard from the police with the crime number.   I'm sad to say that they don't think I'll get the car back and have already closed the case.

• Sad 4

Anyone got any experience of Thatchem trackers?

14 minutes ago, Bobr said:

Anyone got any experience of Thatchem trackers?

my only thought would be by the time you get to use it you car is already gone.