Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help locating a rain water leak

Rv5

Hi all, first post on the forum woop! The car (2010 Focus) has let in a lot of water during the rains this last week, lots of water in the boot, and found the path it's taking into the rear driver's side footwell and seems to have sponged through to the driver's footwell too.

Have located where the water is coming in to boot, but not how it's getting in. From looking online it seems the usual problems at the front, or the rear vents aren't the issue (as the leak is in the rear and higher than the vents at the rear).

For context, here is an external shot and the area I can see the water coming in:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The water is coming down through a hole the trim clips into:

spacer.png

Heres the exact point the water is coming out of, the square hole the trim clips in to:

spacer.png

That's the point the water is coming down into the car, however I can't find where the water is actually entering from the exterior.

For a little more context here's roughly where the point the water is coming in to, so of course the water is coming down from a higher point:

spacer.png

Have removed the light and seems to be no issue there (the screw gromets or the wire gromet). When it's not raining will do some more tests with a watering can and see if can pinpoint anything, the trouble there is it does seem to accumulate and then drop, or at least there's some inconsistency it seems which might make this a tricky method to be 100% sure, but will try again. When it was a heavy downpour the dripping was quite heavy and pretty consistent.

Nothing obvious from visual inspection - anyone have any advice or are there any other known issues worth checking out? I saw one video suggesting the hinge but that doesn't seem to be an issue. The only way I can tell to be really sure is pour water somewhere specific = drip.

Many thanks for any help!

Take a look at this post - I thought it was coming through the light fittings first bt then found there is a weld seam higher up on the roof that was letting the water in.  I came in at the roof but trickled under the trim and dripped from below the light area.  

I didn't fix it yet, waiting until I need to l open a tube of silicone for DIY and will use a bit to cover the leaking area and hopefully seal it.  Until then I am driving around with the plastic trim and carpet taken off the the spare wheel well is a swimming pool.

I had the same problem last year on my 2007 Focus. If you carefully lift the last couple of inches of the roof trims, Check the the weld seams to see if they are cracked. Mine had an inch split on both sides, but most of my problem was a leak around the rear lights. A generous covering with a silicone sealer has cured the problem. Also look at the tailgate hinges. Aparently the welds crack around them too. There are quite a few videos about Focus leaks on youtube.