Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk 2 lifetime mileage

Sjg15

Interested to know what sort of lifetime mileage other owners get? I have a 59 reg Titanium that has done about 140k with normal sort of servicing from a local, general garage. I say 'about' because the trip computer display has failed. Wondering if it's worth getting it repaired.

150k on mine.  There are a few issues I am not bothering to fix now due to the value of the car being so low its not worth it.  A few dings, a/c packed up and would need a new condenser, bonnet lock removed but overall running well for its age and mileage with very few repairs, just normal servicing and maintenance which I do mostly myself nowadays.. 

The clusters are known for getting dry solder joints on the mk2 and failing.

High milers are great if you don't need to depend on it, and can use another car whilst getting it repaired (because something will go eventually that takes it off the road for a couple days).  Unless you're going to do any work yourself, personally I'd avoid such a high mileage car. An alternator and battery replacement at a garage will cost more than the cars worth...

You didn't say what engine it is? That can make a massive difference to how long it will run for lol.

• Like 1

2005 MK2 Focus 1.8 TDCi, 175K miles and other than replacing the MTX-75 gearbox (with a cheap 2nd hand unit) it's still on it's original expensive bits e.g. clutch, DMF, injectors, high pressure fuel pump and turbo.

You cant stop rubber aging though, so it's a fact of life that once a car is 8+ years old you'll periodically need to replacement something suspension related (bushes/springs/shocks etc).

Thanks for the replies, it's a petrol engine so I guess I am getting near the end. I hadn't intended keeping it so long but I am driving from London to Oxfordshire two to three times a week and it's overtaken me. Time to look for an alternative I think. Maybe one that fits in my garage again...

Maybe move to Oxfordshire instead? :biggrin: 

Which petrol engine?  The 2.0 is a strong unit and won't mind motorway mileage.  Though I wouldn't want your fuel bill if it is that lol.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sjg15 said:

Thanks for the replies, it's a petrol engine so I guess I am getting near the end. I hadn't intended keeping it so long but I am driving from London to Oxfordshire two to three times a week and it's overtaken me. Time to look for an alternative I think. Maybe one that fits in my garage again...

Why do you think you need to change it?  "If it's not broke then don't fix it" would be my approach, depending on which engine you've got you could have plenty of mileage left.  The 1.8/2.0 units are chain driven so no cambelt to change and as long as the oil has been consistently changed on schedule, they can go on to reach really high mileage.

• Like 1

322k on my 2010 1.6TDCi focus, 

Have it since new and it's still on the factory turbo, running a remap since 70k 

Has only ever needed an injector seal and an alternator.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BigLen said:

322k on my 2010 1.6TDCi focus, 

Have it since new and it's still on the factory turbo, running a remap since 70k 

Has only ever needed an injector seal and an alternator.

Christ, you must be in possession of the most reliable DV6 powered car in the universe.  You must have kept on top of the maintenance so fair play mate, hopefully there's plenty of mileage left in it.

10 minutes ago, 1979Damian said:

Christ, you must be in possession of the most reliable DV6 powered car in the universe.  You must have kept on top of the maintenance so fair play mate, hopefully there's plenty of mileage left in it.

He's Irish...that's 322Km not miles. :wink:   Still impressive though!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Ah, I missed that detail :withstupid: although as you say it's still very impressive.  Especially from that engine.

• Like 1

I got about 120k out of my old 1.8 diesel, after the front got rebuilt due to being written off and then in it's last year it caught fire. Had to give it up in the end the rust got into the framework which would have required too much welding sadly. Apart from a battery failure (and the fire due to the alternator seizing) the car never let me down not bad for 60-70k+ I did in it.

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

.that's 322Km not miles.

At 322Km it's not even run in yet . . . :laugh:

322,000Km = 200,000 miles approximately.

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, mjt said:

At 322Km it's not even run in yet . . . :laugh:

322,000Km = 200,000 miles approximately.

Indeed...there are a few taxis that have topped 200k on a DV6.  Not sure if any other forum members have though?

Back in my 306 days I owned one on 274k miles...  Another forum member owned one over 300k, pretty sure it's still running now, albeit no longer daily driven.

• Like 1

322Km is 200 miles. Barely delivery mileage. Tongue in cheek. Did you miss that? :biggrin:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, mjt said:

322Km is 200 miles. Barely delivery mileage. Tongue in cheek. Did you miss that? :biggrin:

Oh!! 🤦‍♂️ :laugh:

On the plus side, at least @1979Damian missed it too... :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Being Irish also means every km was driven while being fully under the influence of alcohol #FullTilt 😅

14 hours ago, mjt said:

😂 Well I can't afford to replace it at the moment; bank wouldn't lend me a pen and I got sucked in to home improvements a few years ago which I really need to get completed before my eldest is looking to bring people home 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

How long does the mk2 ti - vct engines last anytime got mileage lifetime usage on these engines

My 1.8 petrol is on 131000 at the moment, had 5 years now, it was quite high mileage when I bought it at 82000, I'm hoping 🤞 that I can keep it for another 5 years, by then it should be on about 180000.

The only thing I have had to fork out for was when my clutch went on 92000 when I was 25 miles away from home I drove it without the clutch for about 20 miles only to find out after having it replaced, I had damaged the second gear synchromesh. Had to take the gearbox out and get it rebuilt, private warranty wouldn't pay up as they said it was wear and tear.

I’ve had my 1.6 petrol 2007 for 11 years and it has 165000 miles on the clock. Things I’ve had done apart from a yearly service are starter motor, front wishbones, front shock absorber, battery, front and rear wheel bearings, engine and gearbox mounts and exhaust repair. Just has an engine malfunction warning come up though I’m hoping it is not an expensive job otherwise I might just replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP here. Mine is a 1.6 petrol. Had a new clutch cylinder last summer so I feel like I've had my money's worth out of that now. It is running quite smoothly so tempted to hang on a bit longer.

Has anyone tried an OBD2 computer reader unit - seen lots of them on amazon around £30-40 and wondering if it's worth getting one just so I can check the mileage more accurately?

Been doing some more 'research', a bluetooth ODB2 reader and a phone app (Torque or Car Scanner) look like the way to go 😁. Anyone else tried it and have any recommendations?

Forscan is by far the best diagnostic software for Fords.

You can buy a decent afdapter from tunnelrat electronics, choice of hard wired or bluetooth dongles available for about £20.

I could only find a usb version on tunnelrat. £15 later and a Vgate dongle from amazon and I now know the car has done 140116 miles. I certainly won't worry about getting the dash fixed now I have a trip computer on my phone 😁

Screenshot_20201021-225358.png

• Like 1