Do Not Sell My Personal Information

oil sump change

wesley j

hi guys 

i have a 2016 ford ranger 2.2 xlt and just noticed i have an oil leak from the sump.

when i had a look it has rusted away and slowley leaking, is it an easy change, looks like it may be owkward to remove.

• 3 months later...

I’m following this as I’ve got the same issue, How did you get on? 

• 10 months later...

i have the same issue, 2018 with 38,000 miles. gonna try and claim it under the perforation warranty due to being so young, and should not be falling apart with rust. also had a full ford service history and nobody had ever mentioned it to me. and to make matters worse it was serviced two weeks ago and was not leaking, so they have obviously over tightened the drain nut, which caused the sump to crack as its so badly rusted. 

8143359d-1f25-4b78-b0a3-1aaa0ea144af.jpg

Edited by Iain377
Pic add

• 2 years later...

I have a 2019 Ford Ranger 2.0l BiTurbo. It has had a full Ford service from new and only had its last 37500 mile service 2k ago. (June 2023) Also got the MOT done at the same time. 
I work away and have recently returned from a 2 month job, hence only around 2k miles since Ford had it. 

I noticed small oil marks on the drive and found the sump was riddled with Corrosion and leaking. 

I took it back to the dealer who recently serviced it and yet again talked crap to me. Not realising I am a Mechanical Engineer of 30+ years they said it was going to cost £1200 to fix but Ford would pay £400 as a matter of good will. I understand it’s more about time to replace rather than the parts as they come to around £150/£200 which includes renewing oil. (Just replaced). 
I have had cars far older than this Ranger and certainly not designed for off road conditions which this once doesn’t get used for. Sump’s do not just rust away after 4 years. 

I’ve taken it to another dealer who are trying to reprice and get help from Ford but I want to know if anyone else has had this issue and more importantly had any joy with Ford taking responsibility for either poor material spec and/or bad tool handling as they have been the only people working on it. 

I’ve tried to deal it with Liquid Metal for now but it’s bandaid on a broken arm. Waiting to get the sump changed and a price. 

I look forward to hearing from anyone experiencing this. 

Will follow thos as just bought a 2017 ( no leaks) but like to keepan eye on this thread

I’ve had two quotes from two different Ford Franchises now. Both have managed to get Ford ‘Good Will’. One has a total of £1200 with me having to pay £750!  The other has not given me the total price but all I need to pay is £281. 

Be very careful with how they quote you as it seems to be a lottery. This issue is not new to any of the branches I spoke to but with all recalls, there has to be a certain number of failures before it becomes a recall. So if you have the issue and on warranty, claim on it. If out of warranty, your call to have it fixed before it perishes and seeps oil. But it will need done anyway. I’d still report it whether you repair it yourself or get Ford to do it. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club