Revatron

Too much oil OUT during oil change?

Hi all,
I did an oil change on my car today. 2013 1.0 125 Titanium. It is new to me, bought a few months back. I put back in around 4 litres ( measured in a jug and oil marks on bottle confirm ) including half pre-filling the new filter. Started car, waited around 60 seconds then turned off. Tidied away the tools etc and checked oil. It was barely on the low mark. I topped off with about 200ml and went for dinner. After dinner I went to check and the oil level was still only 1/3 of the way between min/max notches. Very conscious of not overfilling I’m leaving overnight to settle before checking the level again. 
However when I was decanting the used oil into bottles to take for recycling I filled to the brim a 4 pint (2.27l) milk bottle and a 2l Irn Bru bottle, and then used about 250ml of an old 1l top up oil bottle. That’s over 4.6l by my maths. 
The book says 4.1l with filter. Is it possible the oil was overfilled by the dealer on last service (before I owned it)? I don’t think this is the case as I check oil/fluids/tyre pressures regularly and I would have noticed if it was overfilled. No leaks or other signs of overfilling. Any ideas? I want the right amount of oil in the engine but this is confusing me. Thanks for any advice.

4.4-4.6L it should be. The dealer couldn't have overfilled it as you say you put 4L & then another 200ml and still wasn't enough.

Always use the dipstick level rather than what you measure in/out. Oh, and make sure the cars on level ground before using the dipstick as you'll find the level is showing as nearly empty if the front end is still on stands. Don't ask how I know that :whistling:😂

The manual is not correct. 

A European 2013 1.0 ECOboost has the larger sump that has a total oil capacity of 5,05 Litres (initial fill). This is however a bit more than the service fill oil capacity including oil filter. When the car is level not all of the oil can be drained from the engine. 

I discovered Years ago that when the front of the car is raised approximately 10 cm and the engine is fully drained it will take 4,95L of engine oil to fill it to the MAX mark. A 5L can of oil is just enough.

JW, That is making more sense. Thanks. 
Noticed it was draining nicer with the front raised and I figured it was better to get as much old oil out as possible. 
Luke, to be clear I was not filling back to a removed amount. But the difference in the book/manual capacity to what I got out was confusing me. I was always going to fill to the dipstick, but using the manual as a good initial guide instead of ‘guessing’ for the initial pre-engine run fill.