Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cost of new Unit / ABS - can controller be replaced separate from modulator?

n_hudson

I've come to the realisation that it's now likely that my ABS control module is the fault - despite every garage Ive called saying that these failing are rare.

The Rear Left fault code is intermittent, resets randomly while driving, but always comes back - TC, ABS, HSA, TPMS and Information Lights.

Replaced so far - 

Wheel Speed Sensor (Swapped sides and NEW sensor replaced)

Hub (NEW hub - Correct unit by part number)

Wiring extension (Swapped sides and NEW harness replaced)

The car is booked in with Ford a week this Friday (First booking I could get - booked 2 weeks ago!), but before it goes in, I was wondering if the ABS module had to be replaced as a whole unit, or code the "brains" of the unit control be replaced separately - and so avoid the hassle of a ABS bleed?

Also, I found a Ford EPC website, gives the part number - 1779677 - Anyone have any ideas if thats right?

https://ford.7zap.com/en/car/53/1.28746,2.5145,4.49858,6.1112,7.13221,10.32097,12.37222,15.48438/0/1769/16380/71466/#2M110

Thanks! 

The ABS ECU can be removed from the modulator, but I'm not sure whether Ford would do it.

The complete unit will be very expensive from Ford...£300+ as a rough estimate.  You can buy used replacements for £30 on eBay.  They do rarely go wrong so I'd be surprised if you managed to buy a faulty used one.

• Thanks 1

Be aware that on the Focus MK3 the ABS module is part of the PATS immobilizer system. When the ABS module is replaced for a used one the car will be immobilized.

I know several cases where a Ford dealer was not able to reprogram a used ABS module on a Focus MK3. Unfortunately I do not know whether this is caused by incompetence or restrictions of the Ford IDS/FDRS diagnostic system. Programming of a new ABS module should be no problem.

• Thanks 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club