Do Not Sell My Personal Information

68 plate new shape focus bonnet stuck!

Ryan200591

Hi all, 

i have a new shaped focus (68 plate) I have just tried to open the bonnet but it isn’t doing anything when I pull the latch, never been a problem before, wondering if it has detached itself somehow? Any idea how I can gain access? All help appreciated. 

If it's the latest model you need to pull the release lever twice.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

If it's the latest model you need to pull the release lever twice.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I have done this, feels loose, like there’s no tension in it

1 minute ago, Ryan200591 said:

I have done this, feels loose, like there’s no tension in it

Unlucky - normally it takes at least 10 years before the Focus bonnet mechanism breaks!

• Haha 1

There's an emergency procedure as outlined in the handbook where you can gain access to the mechanism behind the lever.

2 minutes ago, Comares2001 said:

There's an emergency procedure as outlined in the handbook where you can gain access to the mechanism behind the lever.

Ah ok! I will check this out, thank you!

Yeah the bonnet cable stretches 🙄 I've replaced quite a few of these. To get it open you'll need 2 people, 1 person keeps pulling the lever and the 2nd person hits the bonnet where the latch sits and it'll pop open 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, MasterTechTip said:

Yeah the bonnet cable stretches 🙄 I've replaced quite a few of these. To get it open you'll need 2 people, 1 person keeps pulling the lever and the 2nd person hits the bonnet where the latch sits and it'll pop open 

Very annoying isn’t it, ok, I will give that ago tomorrow, appreciate the help. 

• 2 weeks later...

Seems to be a common problem, mine is suffering the same fault. It’s strange how for many decades opening the bonnet was an easy function but progress has put paid to that. Thanks for the tip reference the emergency procedure for opening the bonnet.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Mine has stopped working too. Is there a fix? Perhaps a re-route that can fix it so it hasn't got to go in for repair?

Mine started to stick, requiring pushing closed and re trying, but a spray of WD40 seems to have stopped it and restored normal service!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SteveP1041 said:

but a spray of WD40 seems to have stopped it and restored normal service!

I've tried that, it made no difference.

It's going to have to go in I think, because it will get to a point where it won't open at all

Unfortunately my 68 plate Mk4's bonnet release went last year too. It does indeed seem like quite a common issue with the Mk4 (as do a lot of things!)

On 7/8/2021 at 7:49 AM, DaveT70 said:

I've tried that, it made no difference.

It's going to have to go in I think, because it will get to a point where it won't open at all

When you do get it back it would be a good idea to adjust the rubber Bump Stops on the Bonnet to take some pressure off the cable. When my car was new the opening lever was far too tight and you had to slam the bonnet down before it would shut. If I had left it the way it was I'm sure mine would have stretched by now. The Bonnet alignment is how it should be now.

I also use real oil to lubricate the latch. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dark Andy said:

.. It does indeed seem like quite a common issue with the Mk4 (as do a lot of things!)

And Mk2s, and Mk3s - Ford seem to find it awfully difficult to attach a lever in the car cabin, via a cable, to release a simple latch in the bonnet! LOL

• Like 1

Available from your local parts department:

Mk4 Bonnet Opener.JPG

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, unofix said:

Available from your local parts department:

Mk4 Bonnet Opener.JPG

Now, can you get that colour matched to your car? 🤣

• Haha 1

On 7/10/2021 at 9:44 AM, StephenFord said:

And Mk2s, and Mk3s - Ford seem to find it awfully difficult to attach a lever in the car cabin, via a cable, to release a simple latch in the bonnet! LOL

The Focus MK3/MK3.5 and MK4 all have a lever in the car cabin that operates the bonnet release mechanism with a cable.

The key operated bonnet release mechanism was discontinued in 2010 when the production of the Focus MK2.5 ended.

• 5 months later...

If you pull the trim under the glovebox down you can see the cable that the lever is connected to, if you pull on that whilst operating the lever it opens up, not a permenant solution but when I needed to refill my washer fluid it worked fine.

• Like 1

Similarly --68 plate MK4 focus.

Boot release lever now does nothing.

Assistant depressing bonnet while retrying lever did not help.

Will try stripping down to bare cable next ...

Had 1st MOT and service 1 month ago!

On 10/7/2020 at 8:24 PM, StephenFord said:

Unlucky - normally it takes at least 10 years before the Focus bonnet mechanism breaks!

3y for me

I had this issue on my 68 plate this morning .. and this was the only source of useful info I could find anywhere .. so thanks Ford owners club community !

I ended up doing the procedure from the owners manual for when you can't open the left hand door .. and I'm afraid I don't quite understand how having the left hand door shut would stop the bonnet release from working .. but there you go!

I removed the bonnet release handle (and trim around it) and found that the plastic fixing at the end of the cable sheath hand separated from the cable sheath, and the whole thing had fallen out of the mount which holds the cable sheath. Pushing this back in place lets the bonnet open as usual .. but I don't know how long its going to be before it gets out of place again.

Just in-case its of use to anyone .. here is what the bonnet release handle mechanism looks like (my phone is a bit rubbish .. sorry)

IMG_20211222_120610232.jpg

• Thanks 1

You have to open the passenger door (RHD cars) so the the bonnet release handle can be pulled fully back (Twice) to unlatch the bonnet catch.

On LHD cars it is of course the drivers door which makes more sense. With the door closed the handle can not be pulled fully back and so the latch will not release.

H Mate,

Same thing happened to me, Ford changed the cable and opens correctly now. Looks like a common problem.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

@stroppy Please can you explain in simple terms how to remove the bonnet release handle as described in the manual for a 68 RHD Focus? The manual says insert a screwdriver at the position shown (top of handle) and gently prise the clip upwards. Can't find the clip, handle won't come off. Bonnet won't open, trying to see if it's something I can fix by turning the mechanism manually / realigning the parts before I have to take it for a repair.

Thanks

Jamie