Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What is actually better in the new Sync 3 update?

jamieburchell

Hours of excitedly anticipating, downloading and installing the latest Sync 3 update later, I'm underwhelmed and actually think things are now worse.

The overall aesthetics of the UI are OK and I appreciate this is subjective, but there are areas where it just feels like no thought or user testing was involved.

The map, when navigating now has a distance/time countdown plonked in a bar which takes up too much space and usually partially obscures the road you are on. That, combined with the white bar above it, which apparently can't be removed or moved, means less space for the map. If I'm navigating somewhere it's usually because I don't know the place, so how is telling me the name of the roundabout ahead or the joining road remotely useful? I want to see more of the map. At least give me that option. You'd be forgiven for thinking that the big red cross on the right of that bar would close it, given that's what would happen on literally every other UI ever made - nope that cancels the current route. Of course. Well I suppose for consistency then, the home button top left would start you navigating home? No, that returns to the home screen, silly.

Ah well they ballsed up the maps, what about audio. Surely that's been improved?

Missing radio icons, album art is now tiny, with more space given to... well I don't know really. White space? A-Z search replaced by a text search which sounds like a positive step forward, except that it couldn't find what I was searching for.

There's a good half a second lag or more between pressing a button and something happening, often leading to repeat actions.

So, what is actually better?

I also tapped on the Ford Pass app on the car screen and got "This apps language does not match the active language of sync" 🤔

What is actually better than Sync 3 ?

A Philips Cassette and a Road Atlas....

....You can tell how old I am from my answer !!

• Haha 1

Lol. Feel your pain. My other half often wonders why I use the screen as a clock instead of radio / sat nav etc etc other than that its switched off.

Wont be long till I'm rattle n squeak counting......up to 1 on both atm. 

Apart from my door panel rattling when the music is loud the only other annoying sound is the roof lining directly above my head towards the centre which creeks constantly. I thought I'd cured it with a folded up kitchen towel wedged up there but it's back. Perhaps a sponge would be better...

2 hours ago, Paulkp said:

What is actually better than Sync 3 ?

A Philips Cassette and a Road Atlas....

....You can tell how old I am from my answer !!

I'm old enough to remember both 🙂

I don't think Sync 3 is terrible, quite the opposite, but this update in particular seems a step back. Change for change sake rather than change to actually improve on something.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club