Do Not Sell My Personal Information

[MK4] Reversing camera blocked by water droplets

MTHD
聽Share

Has anyone tried something like a water repellent spray on the reversing camera to stop its vision being blocked by rain droplets? Could it damage the camera coating at all?

Whenever its rained in the past few hours the camera can become totally useless, becoming mostly obscured

7 minutes ago, MTHD said:

Has anyone tried something like a water repellent spray on the reversing camera to stop its vision being blocked by rain droplets? Could it damage the camera coating at all?

Yep, Rain X makes absolutely no difference whatsoever 馃檨 There is no way it would damage camera lens, just doesn't help at all...

• Like 1

Just now, StephenFord said:

Yep, Rain X makes absolutely no difference whatsoever 馃檨 There is no way it would damage camera lens, just doesn't help at all...

My old Hyundai i30 13' plate lifted the logo on the boot to reveal the camera, never had an issue with it and it was so cool!

There are a few cars that use a flip logo for the camera, Golfs have been doing it for years as well.

Maybe Ford should develop a tiny Quikclear heated lens聽for the camera on theirs! :biggrin:

• Haha 2

The 'water repellent' is very good at clearing the glass when traveling at speed, maybe the secret is to apply it to reversing lens, then floor it to reach about 60MPH, you'd have great vision then!

• Haha 2

Definitely annoying, I've taken to wipingvthe lens before I drive in rain.
A small cover or lip would have helped for sure.
Maybe someone can devise one and do a 3D print then make a lot of money?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Yeah mine is the same, and the droplets never move unless you wipe them.

I do like having the camera though, the wide.angle setting really helps to see cross traffic when reversing out of a parking space.聽 Much rather see than have yet another bong going off.

• Like 2

I'm thinking of trying a small lip of sugru around the top of the lens case just to see what happens.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

I'm thinking of trying a small lip of sugru around the top of the lens case just to see what happens.

I have done frequent searches for, 'rear car camera shroud', but just get nothing. You'd have thought with such a universal problem, someone would have invented something! If your solution works, you need to post a photo! Good luck...

• Like 1

My previous coach had an external high mounted back-up reversing camera. It didn't take long for the image to become blurred after travelling on dirty winter roads.

The flat back of a coach lifts the road spray right up to the level of the roof and straight on to the lens of the camera. The only way to clear it is to get out the extending handled brush along with a bucket of water and brush the dirt off. Yes, I did carry all the necessary kit underneath.

My new coach (brand new and it belongs to the boss really) has the camera behind a flap which opens with the selection of reverse. Much better. I am just hoping that in sub zero weather conditions, the flap does not freeze over.

Mind you in that sort of weather I much prefer it if the boss gives the run to another driver and leaves me sitting in the warm at home!

ScaniaPBman.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i use dodo juice super natural sealant kit works well long lasting but expensive聽(water repellent)

12 minutes ago, st line x 140 driver said:

i use dodo juice super natural sealant kit works well long lasting but expensive聽(water repellent)

I'm curious how it 'works' on a reverse camera, repellent normally need a bit of 'wind' to clear water, being almost static (in reverse) there is nothing to sweep the water off...

Somebody did invent a motorised add on. I'll show it once the parts arrive. Simple shutter driven from the reversing light feed rotates through 90 degrees with a motor mounted beneath the camera. One hole in the bootlid handle for the wiring. One wire to earth, one to the rear light cluster.

14 minutes ago, tomshepp said:

Somebody did invent a motorised add on. I'll show it once the parts arrive. Simple shutter driven from the reversing light feed rotates through 90 degrees with a motor mounted beneath the camera. One hole in the bootlid handle for the wiring. One wire to earth, one to the rear light cluster.

I definitely got to see this!

i have a reversing camera on my other car and is motorized only exposes itself when reverse is selected - german engineering for you.

The Nissan I had, they had an air tube that blur the rain off which was quite clever. Only revealing it when necessary would be the best way to go.

• Like 1

Never had an issue on my 2018 Fiesta but it鈥檚 doing my head in with my 70 plate Focus.聽

I鈥檝e left a cloth in the boot to wipe it before driving now but that鈥檚 a pain.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club