Do Not Sell My Personal Information

[MK3] Upgrading instrument cluster

DaSingh

So slowly slowly my list of mods have been increasing! Trying to keep it all factory and not go over the top. 

Now that my sync3 upgrade is done, I was thinking of doing the instrument cluster but from what I have read they are a few different types. 

I have a small blue screen in my 2013 Titanium which has the following options:

Trip, Settings and System check

So would like to upgrade to face-lift version. I have forscan license etc so should be able to match the milage as long as the one is I get is less than that mine is at the moment. 

Anything I else I need to look for? Would I need to run firmware update? Can I get any version or does one have more features? 

20201013_082702.jpg

I recently did this on mine and my partner's cars. I used the ones from the pre-facelift as I believe that using facelift ones will stop either the sound or visual display for the parking sensors, I can't remember which and also the light dimming won't work.

I updated the firmware on both with a ucds clone, I wouldn't attempt with an elm327 cable as it will take the best part of a day to update.

I have a ELS27 which I used to update firmware on APIM and ACM would that do? 

Is there much difference between the mk3 and mk3.5 cluster? 

I don't want to lose any features as I have just got my sync3 system all up to date and working correctly

I am not 100% sure with an ELS27 cable to be honest. I haven't used one myself.

In this thread there's some great info by Wilco regarding the clusters along with some info about MK3.5 and MK3.

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/75747-mk3-instrument-cluster-swap/#comments

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, jlawes20389 said:

I am not 100% sure with an ELS27 cable to be honest. I haven't used one myself.

In this thread there's some great info by Wilco regarding the clusters along with some info about MK3.5 and MK3.

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/75747-mk3-instrument-cluster-swap/#comments

Thanks looks like I need a mk3 2012-2014 level 3 cluster to save time changing the software. 

If I find one at a decent price I think I will do it. 

I got lucky with the two I purchased as I didn't check the mileage on them and they were low enough for my needs and I got them for £25 and £30.

I did have this one in my eBay watch list, not sure of the mileage as I didnt ask.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254624900224

May be worth checking out?

• Thanks 1

The problem I have is my car is low mileage so need to find below 35k

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone able to help with milage correction? 

Just bought a cluster but seller doesnt know the mileage so assuming its high. 

I think you'll need someone with ucds if it's too high. Where are you located, somebody local may have it and be able to do it?

Or buy yourself a Chinese UCDS clone for less than €20,-.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jlawes20389 said:

I think you'll need someone with ucds if it's too high. Where are you located, somebody local may have it and be able to do it?

Nottingham 

25 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

Or buy yourself a Chinese UCDS clone for less than €20,-.

Anything in particular to look out for on aliexpress? Is 35 tokens enough? 

Make sure you ask the seller to say it is a gift, I've forgotten to do that in the past and have been hit with a customs charge, it's not the customs charge I mind (they've only been a couple of quid) it's the £8 default fee the post office charge for paying it for you that I resent!

• Thanks 1

Cluster came today, took 5mins to swap...

Everything seems to be working, including satnav directions on cluster... 

Just waiting for ucds and will do firmware update too

20201028_171440.jpg

If you update ipc software do you lose reverse sensors beeps? 

Wouldn't mind digital speedometer but not if its going to mess with other stuff 

When updating the instrument cluster in a Focus MK3 to MK3.5 software you will loose the sound of the reverse sensors and in case of Active Park Assist you will loose both the sound and the visual image on the FCDIM.

The only way to solve this is by installing a MK3.5 PAM (Parking Assistance Module). In case of Active Park Assist you also need to install 2 additional parking sensors at the side of the rear bumper.

Oh wow that's not good! So the digital speedo is only on mk3.5?

I will probably just update the standard software only as I don't want to lose anything. 

Any ideas what the mk3.5 PAM and the extra sensors part numbers are? At least I can work out if its worth doing 🙂

The digital speedometer is indeed only present on the MK3.5 software. The MK3 software did never had this functionality.

Very late Kuga MK2's did have a digital speedometer but the Kuga did have a different instrument cluster from the Focus Mk3. The Kuga MK2 instrument cluster can be installed into a Focus MK3 with only a minor modification.

To convert the MK3 Active Park Assist system to the MK3.5 Active Park Assist system you need the following parts:

1x PAM module

Finis 2125320
Part number F1ET-15K866-BJ
Price €62,79

1x Wiring harness

Finis 2120207
Part number F1ET-15K868-ALE
Price €47,22

2x PDC sensor

Finis 1911179
Part number F1ET-15K859-AA
Price 2x €39,85

2x Ring transparant

Finis 1911177
Part number EM2T-15B864-BA
Price 2x €12,24

2x Sensor bracket

Finis 1904899
Part number F1ET-15K870-EAXUAA
Price 2x €12,06

• Thanks 1

Thanks for quick reply! For now I don't think I will be doing this. I will probably just update the current to the latest available and look at adding a custom vbf to make it a look a bit better. 

I want to perform this modifications myself on my car. Next time I have to order spare parts for my car I also order the parts to retrofit the MK3.5 PAM module.

I currently use a modified version of the latest MK3 instrument cluster software with animated RS logo

• Like 1

I have just noticed the remain fuel on the quad screen seems to be higher. Just to test I wait for orange fuel light to come on which is normally 50miles left and currently it's showing 100miles. 

I thought the cluster came from same engine car but looking back at this listing it just says petrol manual. 

Can this be corrected using forscan? 

The "Miles to empty" calculation and the activation of the orange fuel light is adaptive. These values are calculated based on average fuel consumption, actual fuel consumption, driving style, outside temperature, engine temperature, etc.

When an instrument cluster from a different car with a different engine type is installed the "Miles to Empty" calculation and the activation of the orange fuel light are still based on the original vehicle the instrument cluster came from. The memory that has this information stored can not be erased or reset.

During time the instrument cluster will adapt itself to the new situation. On a low mileage cluster this process will be a lot faster than on a high mileage cluster.

• Like 1

Ignore me! I was looking at the wrong quarter!

Flicked through the trip screens and it was correct 🤦

All done! Got my ucds fixed the mileage... Going to try apply a new theme soon other than and need to add compass direction to ipc too. 

The Compass will only work if your car has a GPSM module. On the Focus MK3 the GPSM module is only present on cars that have SYNC 1.0/1.1 with Emergency Assistance.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 10/28/2020 at 8:58 PM, JW1982 said:

The digital speedometer is indeed only present on the MK3.5 software. The MK3 software did never had this functionality.

Very late Kuga MK2's did have a digital speedometer but the Kuga did have a different instrument cluster from the Focus Mk3. The Kuga MK2 instrument cluster can be installed into a Focus MK3 with only a minor modification.

To convert the MK3 Active Park Assist system to the MK3.5 Active Park Assist system you need the following parts:

1x PAM module

Finis 2125320
Part number F1ET-15K866-BJ
Price €62,79

1x Wiring harness

Finis 2120207
Part number F1ET-15K868-ALE
Price €47,22

2x PDC sensor

Finis 1911179
Part number F1ET-15K859-AA
Price 2x €39,85

2x Ring transparant

Finis 1911177
Part number EM2T-15B864-BA
Price 2x €12,24

2x Sensor bracket

Finis 1904899
Part number F1ET-15K870-EAXUAA
Price 2x €12,06

I have fitted the MK 3.5 cluster to my 2012 C Max. As expected I have lost my Park Assist chimes (I only have rear sensors), mileage correction was straightforward (FORScan). If I change My PAM I'm guessing these will come back.

However I noticed a far more concerning problem that after configuration with Focccus writing o BCM was fine but writing to IPC caused many issues (engine light etc) and wouldn't complete, leaving the car inoperable. Fortunately I was enable to recover from backup. I haven't tried to write to ICP since. Is this normal and if so can it be fixed.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.