Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus style estate

dsayer

Hi I’m considering buying a 08 focus estate style 1800 diesel sitting at 44k miles are these good cars anything to look out for ? What sort of mileage if looked after are they likely to cover 

79DD6043-43F2-4DDC-B5A7-6C8AED57B424.jpeg

Diesels like to be driven, I'd be more worried about 44k in 12 years than 100k in 12 years in all honesty.

Cambelt is well overdue if it hasn't been done so that's something to factor in to the price.

If it's done a lot of stop start traffic the clutch and DMF may be on the way out.

Fuel filter probably needs changing.

Other than that, the 1.8 TDCi is a pretty reliable engine.  150k+ is easily achievable on a motorway muncher.  I wouldn't expect that on a car that's rarely been driven by this age.

• Thanks 1

The car was owned by an old boy didn’t do many miles. If I buy it the first thing I would do is service it and have the cam belt changed. I will use it for driving to and from work which is a 35 mile round trip they are asking for 2k but I know the bloke do he would let me have it for £1500 his reason for sale is his wife doesn’t like it he’s also put a years mot on it which also had no advisory’s 

12 hours ago, dsayer said:

The car was owned by an old boy didn’t do many miles. If I buy it the first thing I would do is service it and have the cam belt changed. I will use it for driving to and from work which is a 35 mile round trip they are asking for 2k but I know the bloke do he would let me have it for £1500 his reason for sale is his wife doesn’t like it he’s also put a years mot on it which also had no advisory’s 

No advisories but it failed the first time.  Snapped spring and worn front brake disc (and a bulb).  Looks like the other spring snapped the year before so at least they've both been replaced now, and the rear brakes failed last year so should have new brakes all round too.  £1500 sounds alright.

Yeah all works completed and no advisory’s. I checked the car out today it drove well but had a slight shudder when ignition turned off? It also has slight rust coming through on all wheel arches to be expected for a 12 year old car I suppose also like you said cam belt is overdue so I’m at a loss if to buy or not 

11 hours ago, dsayer said:

Yeah all works completed and no advisory’s. I checked the car out today it drove well but had a slight shudder when ignition turned off? It also has slight rust coming through on all wheel arches to be expected for a 12 year old car I suppose also like you said cam belt is overdue so I’m at a loss if to buy or not 

There is a 'throttle butterfly' on modern diesels that closes when you switch the engine off to stop the shudder (other manufacturers even refer to it as an anti shudder valve) so it may just be that not working properly, easy fix if so and it's not dangerous anyway, just annoying.  If it was more of a knock, it could be the DMF which is a much bigger job.

The Mk2 facelifts are starting to rust now unfortunately, especially if it's been a coastal car.  I owned mine from 6-10 years old so rust wasn't an issue back then.  On the plus side, at least there's no structural rust if it's just passed MOT.

If there's no confirmation of the cambelt having been done, I really would want to replace it asap given it's age.  Looking at roughly £400 at a garage for belt, pump, coolant and aux belt.

I guess the question is, can you buy anything better for ~£2000?  If not, maybe worth going for it, having the belt done and either sorting the rust yourself or getting a quote for a smart repair place.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club