Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is the MK7 1.6TDi Fiesta a good car to buy now?

Jakub_NF

Hello, I'm looking to get my first car soon. After looking at a bunch of them I got my eyes on the aforementioned model in either the zetec s or titanium option. I will use it for college commute (about 120km/day) so that why I want to go with the diesel. I couldn't find much information when it comes to maintenance and costs hence my question. How much should I be expected to put into a car that I buy for around 4000 euro in Ireland that has 100,000-120,000 miles? I know that there's a lot of those cars around which makes me think that parts must be cheap but I have no idea. Also what can I be expecting to having to spend on it in the future if I'm planning to use it for at least 3-4 years? Thanks

The engine's decent enough and parts are no more expensive than any other cheap car really. Just expect the car to be worth very little when you go over that 150k-160k mile mark.

1 hour ago, Luke4efc said:

The engine's decent enough and parts are no more expensive than any other cheap car really. Just expect the car to be worth very little when you go over that 150k-160k mile mark.

What's the reason for the value loss when crossing that particular mileage? Correct me if wrong but I'm guessing it's just because people look at it and see it as a big number which makes them think that the car is in bad condition while in reality it all depends on how it was taken care of.

11 hours ago, Jakub_NF said:

What's the reason for the value loss when crossing that particular mileage? Correct me if wrong but I'm guessing it's just because people look at it and see it as a big number which makes them think that the car is in bad condition while in reality it all depends on how it was taken care of.

Not many cars make it to that high mileage. So the ones that are left generally have big bills around the corner. Yes you're right it depends how it's been looked after, but a lot of cars with high mileage generally don't have a full service history anymore and don't have genuine parts fitted due to the low value of the car.

Costs in Ireland are very different to over here from what I've read.  Cars are expensive, tax is expensive, insurance is expensive, etc.

There's no way I'd buy a 120k Fiesta to do 20k a year in for the next 3 years though...would be looking at something with around 50k myself.

Which would only take it up to 110,000 miles. But it would cost twice as much to buy, at least.

Sensibly, budget for a clutch,and a turbo,(neither of which you will need if you are lucky,) a new battery which you almost certainly will, and chuck some injector cleaner in every second tankful. Drive it like you want it to last and change the oil and filters every six months. Your chances are pretty good.

40 minutes ago, tomshepp said:

Which would only take it up to 110,000 miles. But it would cost twice as much to buy, at least.

Sensibly, budget for a clutch,and a turbo,(neither of which you will need if you are lucky,) a new battery which you almost certainly will, and chuck some injector cleaner in every second tankful. Drive it like you want it to last and change the oil and filters every six months. Your chances are pretty good.

It's a modern diesel...DPF, EGR, piezo injectors etc...think these have a DMF as well.  Not to mention the suspension will all be knackered by 120k, let alone 180k.  Having had both high and low milers, I'd chose low mileage any day.  Pay a bit more in depreciation for less hassle and with the bonus of the interior being in better shape too...

Each to thier own at the end of the day though. :smile:

Yes, Tom you are quite right. I should have recommended that he bought a new E class Mercedes instead.

I wonder if he asked our advice because he couldn't afford one?

Enough. Have fun people.

13 hours ago, tomshepp said:

Yes, Tom you are quite right. I should have recommended that he bought a new E class Mercedes instead.

I wonder if he asked our advice because he couldn't afford one?

Enough. Have fun people.

Enough?  Is that your decision to make then? :laugh:  This is a forum to share opinions...you questioned mine so I elaborated on it.  The days of moon mileage diesels only requiring a clutch or turbo are long gone in this world of ever decreasing emissions and cost-cutting sadly.

Buying a ~10 year old car at ~120k for a high mileage commute is a false economy imo.  If he wanted it for a local run-around doing 6k PA it'd be totally different.   He'll be replacing parts every other weekend, worrying about what's going to break next and leave him stranded, and the car will be unsaleable time he's finished with it...  Buying at ~50k, fewer parts needing replacement, peace of mind that it's less likely to break down and he'll still have a 110k car to sell for a decent amount at the end of the 3 years, as you pointed out.

Yes it costs more initially, but nowhere near double due to the age of the cars now.  It works out about £1500 more near me, to buy a 1.6 TDCi Mk7 Titanium at 60k than an equivalent at 120k...  I appreciate that gap may be bigger in Ireland.  Buy a model in a rarer colour or with a few nice options and it'll hold value better and be more easily saleable too...

I'm not sure where the suggestion of the E class came from but the Fiesta isn't a cheap car either...  If it's all about the money there are cheaper options in it's class!  I'd suggest the choice of Fiesta is based on looks...which again will be improved by a lower mileage model not being peppered with stone chips, door dings and bumper scuffs.

Now, back to the original question - assuming this is the later 8v engine, NOT the earlier 16v, starting at 100k I'd go with:

12k oil and filter change
18k fuel filter change
24k air & pollen filter change
Cambelt & waterpump change (unless already done)
All injectors (possibly more than once in 60k, common issue on this engine)
MAF sensor
Thermostat
EGR valve
DPF (cleaned of ash, if not replaced)
Glow plugs
Boost pipe(s)
Radiator/hose(s)
AC regas/condenser replacement
Coil springs
Shocks
ARB bushes
Wishbones
Track rod ends & alignment
Tyres (twice in 60k)
Brakes all round
Wiper Blades, bulbs, screenwash etc

Some of those things will of course also be needed on a lower mileage equivalent...driving generally isn't cheap unfortunately.

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Enough?  Is that your decision to make then? :laugh:  This is a forum to share opinions...you questioned mine so I elaborated on it.

Oh dear mate, it appears you made Mr Shepp spit his dummy out and quit the forum 🎉.

A brand new E-class will probably be more unreliable and more expensive to fix compared to a 5 grand fiesta lol.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Luke4efc said:

A brand new E-class will probably be more unreliable and more expensive to fix compared to a 5 grand fiesta lol.

Based on one of my friend's experiences with his Mercs, you're probably right there. He's on his third (or is it fourth?) Honda now, his Mrs is still driving the latest in a long line of Fiestas though, which maybe says something on the relative merits of a Merc and a Fiesta.😀

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club