Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Checking intake valves with borescope

mrmrva

Hi there, ordered myself a borescope camera and would like to check condition of intake valves, to see how much soot is in them.

I have 45k miles on odo

Not sure what would be the easiest route to do this so any advice appreciated

Taking off the inlet manifold would seem to be the most sensible way. 45000 miles does not seem to me to be a concerning mileage. What sort of failure are you hoping to prevent?

It's more a curiosity thing as I've read a lot about GDI engines and carbon buildup problems. Some say catch can is a way to go to prevent this, some disagree. I would like to see what do valves look like after this mileage.

I disagree and would point out that if the engine is not used for short distances only and is given a good run regularly then it will comfortably cover 150,000 miles.

I don't agree or disagree but want to check.

Carbon buildup is something all GDI engines are prone to so that is a fact, only question is how much does it build over time.

A bit of carbon isn't necessarily a bad thing. I've seen valves that have been pulled off 400k milers (that was running perfectly fine) and the only thing still sealing them was the ridiculous carbon build up on the mating surfaces.

Say you do find carbon build-up on the valves, what are you going to do about it?

You won't find alot on a 45k engine esp the 1.0 ecoboost. I've heard they don't carbon up like other GDI variants. 

I hope so, I did order cheap borescope from China, so once it arrives and I have time to check will post results here.

Inlet manifold will have to come off to see the inlet valves. Not a 5 min job. 

will need replacement gaskets too if manifold removed.

Yes, does not seem easily accessible. Wondering if cam could go through breather pipe

Capture.JPG

On 10/18/2020 at 2:53 PM, mrmrva said:

Yes, does not seem easily accessible. Wondering if cam could go through breather pipe

Capture.JPG

You are a smart chap thats exactly how I would try and look into the inlet runners. I am going to do this on my car one day too. 

• 6 months later...

I finally had a look at one of my intake runners yesterday with a borescope and it wasnt nice!

For reference my engine is on a PumaSpeed stage 3 map with hybrid turbo, turbo back exhaust and big intercooler and its covered 62000 miles.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/K2WFCeN2UiuhSNYV7

I have a few pics and a short 7 sec video above. 

The whole inside of the inlet manifold was coated with a film of oil and the back of the valves were covered with dried up crusty oil.

Think its getting near that time when I take the head off and have a clean up along with changing the timing belt. 

• Like 3

Thanks for sharing. Interesting to see.

• 2 months later...

Cheapest Aliexpress camera but enough to see carbon buildup

Original Castrol since day 1 except single time when Shell Helix Ultra for EcoBoost was used

Car has <80k km's

Image_2021-07-24 14_16_49_063.JPG

Image_2021-07-24 14_18_31_271.JPG

Image_2021-07-24 14_19_05_440.JPG

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club