Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2 stereo woes

Starsky365

Hi All,

I bought a 2006 mk2 to run around in for a while and the cd6000 stereo had an intermittent fault where all door Speakers would only work half the time and it was a lottery as to wether they’d come on or not when the ignition was switched on; they’d be fine until the next time I went to use the car. The tweeters in the pillar always work.

thinking if the door Speakers all worked sometimes the issue must be at the head unit so bought an aftermarket stereo with an iso connector plugged it in and bam... only the tweeters are working.

ive checked the only fuse I can see that has anything to do with the stereo in the passenger compartment and it’s fine... if it wasn’t the stereo wouldn’t work at all.

am I missing something somewhere?

2 hours ago, Starsky365 said:

thinking if the door speakers all worked sometimes the issue must be at the head unit

Dunno how you came to that conclusion lol. It'll most likely be a loose wire in the door loom somewhere or on the Speakers themselves.

1 hour ago, Luke4efc said:

Dunno how you came to that conclusion lol. It'll most likely be a loose wire in the door loom somewhere or on the speakers themselves.

Because all Speakers passed audio at the same time when it was working; I thought the chances that all 4 could have a cable fault at the same time to be pretty slim 

As you say you changed to an aftermarket stereo when doing that did you disconnect the minus battery terminal? If not do that then check it again. Was the connector compatible to work with the ford loom? 

doesn't sound like its your issue but Speakers dying is normal...  first car I ever heard of where this is a design feature.

on mine right rear went at 9 years, left rear went at 11 years.... no issues ever, no funny noises, no abuse, just stopped dead !  Swap for second hand ones no problem ever again.... I forget which, but the good ones and the dead ones look identical with one exception.   I think the silver anodised speaker Shell dies and the gold colour ones keep going

The colour probably identifies UK mkt stitch them up build quality... (other markets get faults fixed by the dirty cheating manufactures, but in the UK mugs keep giving away money they don't have, and it encourages scum to rip us off even more). 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 10/17/2020 at 12:03 PM, Starsky365 said:

Hi All,

I bought a 2006 mk2 to run around in for a while and the cd6000 stereo had an intermittent fault where all door speakers would only work half the time and it was a lottery as to wether they’d come on or not when the ignition was switched on; they’d be fine until the next time I went to use the car. The tweeters in the pillar always work.

thinking if the door speakers all worked sometimes the issue must be at the head unit so bought an aftermarket stereo with an iso connector plugged it in and bam... only the tweeters are working.

ive checked the only fuse I can see that has anything to do with the stereo in the passenger compartment and it’s fine... if it wasn’t the stereo wouldn’t work at all.

am I missing something somewhere?

i have the same issue did you find the answer ?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club