Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Different brand tyre on same axle

Arkhangelsk1989

Hello I had a puncture in my tyre and replaced just the punctured tyre with a Cooper tyre. The tyre is exactly the same size (195 45 r16) and has the same speed rating as the tyre on the other side. Will it make any difference or is it really dangerous? 

Thank you 

• Like 1

Not ideal, but not dangerous. It's only a 1.6 Fiesta at the end of the day so you probably won't be able to tell the difference lol.

If it was on the front, I'd probably swap the wheels with the rears so that the two matching tyres are on the front.

• Like 2

Cheers for the reply, the front drivers side tyre had a nail in it so I got it replaced. The passenger side is an Avon zv7 tyre which is only a few months old and the garage said that Avon and Cooper are the same company so there's no difference 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dezwez said:

all good then👍

Cheers. Just worried as loads of people say it's dangerous but then loads of people say it's absolutely fine so I didn't know what too believe 

tyre fitters would be libel if it was wrong so it will be ok 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Arkhangelsk1989 said:

said that Avon and Cooper are the same company so there's no difference 

Be careful with that. Bentley and Seat are the same company. They clearly don't make cars to the same quality and standard as each other though...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, dezwez said:

tyre fitters would be libel if it was wrong so it will be ok 

So it will be perfectly safe too drive with the 2 different brand tyres 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dezwez said:

I do as I do my own tyres 

You have different brand tyres on the same axle? 

• Like 1

yes on the backs all ways been ok with me

• Like 1

I am no expert on this but I'm always very wary of mixing tyre brands .

Many years ago I had a MKII Toyota MR2 which came with Continental tyres had 205's on the front and 225's on the rear (think the standard fitment was 195 front 205 rear)

My front offside tyre blew when I hit a large chunk of wood in the dark. 

I couldn't get hold of another Conti to match as I was told at the time they had stopped making them in that size. (this was before the Internet so couldn't search around for myself). I got a brand new Goodyear Eagle of the same size instead. My other good conti on the front was only about 4 months old so not worn.

It was lethal under braking in the wet, would pull quite strongly into the kerb and squirm around. About a week later I decided it was too dangerous and got another Goodyear for the front.It was fine after that under braking. Sadly the Goodyears were nowhere near as good as the conti's, lost a lot of front end grip overall.

• Like 1

Its radial and cross ply thats a no no

• Like 2

1 minute ago, st line x 140 driver said:

Its radial and cross ply thats a no no

👍

31 minutes ago, Arkhangelsk1989 said:

Avon and Cooper are the same company 

Yes, I believe Cooper bought Avon over 20 years ago.  I think they  have a biggish stake in Kumho tyres also. Cooper are the sole tyre supplier to the World Rallycross Championship I understand.

Like others I've mixed brands occasionally over the years on the Mrs's shopping car, usually another brand of the same manufacturer (e.g. Pirelli/Courier, Michelin/Kleber) usually on the rears. Wouldn't do it on a high performance car though.

Having different tyres on the same axle is not something I would even consider.   Maybe OK under normal driving but what about under emergency braking especially in the wet.

• Like 2

Cheers for all of the replies, think I will move the Avon to the back and gets a matching one for that and then get another cooper for the front. 

My car came with new but mismatched tyres on the front, both Nexen but different models so different tread patterns...  

I was sceptical but never did feel any difference, even in heavy rain or under hard braking.  'Luckily' one of them picked up an irrepairable puncture after a few months so I replaced it with one that matched the other side.  It settled my perfectionism even if it didn't make any difference on the road... :laugh:

I'd say some tyres will be noticeably different side to side, but if the tread pattern and compound are roughly the same they should be fine.

4 hours ago, st line x 140 driver said:

Its radial and cross ply that's a no no

Correct, but when was the last time a cross-ply tyre sold for a car?

1 hour ago, st line x 140 driver said:

still get them if you have a vintage car 

Avon even still do crossply slicks (not for road use😀)

Cheers for all of the replies. I think I will get matching set on each axle. I will put cooper on the front and Avon on the rear. Got it booked in next Friday. May aswell just get it done otherwise it will be at the back of my mind bugging me

• Like 1

At the end of the day its the tyres that are between you and the road. Personally i would never skimp on these as they are the difference between stopping when you need performance from them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, st line x 140 driver said:

At the end of the day its the tyres that are between you and the road. Personally i would never skimp on these as they are the difference between stopping when you need performance from them.

Good point. I will just get it sorted. Only cost £150 for 1 Cooper and 1 Avon tyre so I can have matching sets on each axle 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club