Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mountune Performance

IRED3MPTiiON

I own a Ford Focus ST225 and I am looking into the options of modifying my car. There are that many different companies and parts to modify cars I don't know were to start. Ford direct recommend Mountune performance in their parts & accessories book.

So I have looked at Mountune performance ST260 upgrade and Mountune cat back stainless exhaust system. See links

http://www.mountuneperformance.com/i...=139&Itemid=71

http://www.mountuneperformance.com/i...=140&Itemid=72

Also as my ST is a 2009 I have just under 2 years warranty left, speaking to Ford they say modyfing the car is a grey area with regards to it voiding the warranty unless the added performance part is the direct reason for the fault on the car.

Your thoughts anyone????

I would appreciate some reviews and advice regarding this.

Cheers

I own a Ford Focus ST225 and I am looking into the options of modifying my car. There are that many different companies and parts to modify cars I don't know were to start. Ford direct recommend Mountune performance in their parts & accessories book.

So I have looked at Mountune performance ST260 upgrade and Mountune cat back stainless exhaust system. See links

http://www.mountuneperformance.com/i...=139&Itemid=71

http://www.mountuneperformance.com/i...=140&Itemid=72

Also as my ST is a 2009 I have just under 2 years warranty left, speaking to Ford they say modyfing the car is a grey area with regards to it voiding the warranty unless the added performance part is the direct reason for the fault on the car.

Your thoughts anyone????

I would appreciate some reviews and advice regarding this.

Cheers

Mountune upgrades approved by Ford will not invalidate Ford warranty.

Kool, its as if ford servicing department are to scared to give me a answer incase anything goes wrong, hense telling me it is a grey area which is rubbish!!! Gotta be honest tho them Mountune upgrades seem epensive, imparticular Focus ST260 upgrade, sure it will be worth it :)

I'm 110% positive ive read somewhere the montune st is actually faster through the gears than the mighty RS how this is i have no idea but personally id wack the montune 260 kit on then stick the exhaust system on and go out and wind up a few RS owners :P

Nice ST by the way love the mk2 facelifts and the orange just finishes it of nicley!

Mike

I'm 110% positive ive read somewhere the montune st is actually faster through the gears than the mighty RS how this is i have no idea but personally id wack the montune 260 kit on then stick the exhaust system on and go out and wind up a few RS owners :P

Nice ST by the way love the mk2 facelifts and the orange just finishes it of nicley!

Mike

Is that not the stage two upgrade version from GGR? Or does Mountune offer a stage two as well? Either way, the RS was proven to be quicker around a track, rather than on paper 1/4 mile and drag races.

Is that not the stage two upgrade version from GGR? Or does Mountune offer a stage two as well? Either way, the RS was proven to be quicker around a track, rather than on paper 1/4 mile and drag races.

It was deffo montune but it was on another performance ford forum i think do that does stick out in my mind that it said it was quicker through the gears as in in 3rd accel to 70 for example.

This is the bumf of the montune webby about the 260 pack:

The upgrade will produce performance returns of 0-60mph in 5.9 seconds, a 0.6 second improvement over the standard ST, and 0-100mph in 14.1 seconds, 1.9 seconds faster than the standard model.

This upgrade can be fitted to any model year of Focus ST, new or used, and has a minimum 12 months/12,000-mile warranty without affecting the vehicle warranty.

I like how it sais any model of st id be tempted to take an st170 in and see what they say.

Mike

Thanks mate, how many pictures can you see?

I have done some research on the Mountune performance ST260 upgrade. It consists of a larger tailored high-performance alloy intercooler, a high flow air filter and a revised engine calibration for the potent 2.5-litre Duratec ST engine. :)

The performance upgrade therefore returns of 0-60mph in 5.9 seconds and 0-100mph in 14.1 seconds.... wow, it costs £1,120 inc vat seems pricey but genuine to say the least.

Then the cat back stainless steal exhaust priced at £490 which I actually thinks quite reasonable.

And yes looking into what you said the ST is faster than the RS. haha.

Appreciate the reply, this is a car forum for car enthusiasts yet people view but rarely reply.

What car you drive?

Karl

PS changed alloys over weekend from standard 18" silver alloys to gunmetal grey :)

Ha ha no worries mate, and yeah i noticed the alloys on the 09 plates onwards now they fit black alloys as standard you need to tell ford if you want silver which i think is absoutly smart a black st-3 with the leather and the black alloys/tints with a number plate K1 TT would do me nicley :P .

The prices do seem to be steap but i think its a case of you get what you pay for, My exhaust system only cost me 190 fitted but its not stainless steal and its only a cat-back by a company called sportex.

At the moment ive got a little mk1 1.6 3dr with all the things in my signature stuck to or bolted onto it, its only my first car though so im chuft to bits with it lol if i can get a job though after college ends im thinking about 2nd car a corsa turbo project for track use (i live not far from oulton park and my dad works there) seing as the trusty ford has only gone wrong once in 2yrs and even then it was a minor fault and fixed for 100 quid so theres not much point in selling it for £2.50.

Are u sure you want to be spending around the £1600 mark though on your st cant you make do with the standard 225bhp :P OR what about a dreamscience remap that will be as much as the cat-back from montune im guessing but im not sure about the ford warrenty still being ok after thats something youd need to ring ford about.

Mike

I dont know about that, a lot of the Focus ST3's I looked at had standard silver alloys on, which as you said does not match the car like black or gunmetal grey alloys, the alloys I got you rarely see on Focus's.

All Mountune parts come with extended warranty's which is good. I know the parts are expensive but i'm sure it will be worth it, once you start talking various modifications especially remapping it gets very technical too much or too little can seriously FU*K up the car. You are trying to push the car beyound limits straining the engine :0

I get around 23MPG driving how I want and that doesnt mean throttling the car everywhere but I do use the engine, so I aint complaining to much. Definatly think V-power helps!!!!!

Wait till you get some years no claims then you can buy a beast, im only 23 with three yrs no claims and no accidents so all good.

Karl

Ah yes - what Mountune do as a whole upgrade, a lot of other places offer in two stages.

Stage one is usually a re-map; Stage two is the uprated intercooler etc etc...

I dont know about that, a lot of the Focus ST3's I looked at had standard silver alloys on, which as you said does not match the car like black or gunmetal grey alloys, the alloys I got you rarely see on Focus's.

All Mountune parts come with extended warranty's which is good. I know the parts are expensive but i'm sure it will be worth it, once you start talking various modifications especially remapping it gets very technical too much or too little can seriously FU*K up the car. You are trying to push the car beyound limits straining the engine :0

I get around 23MPG driving how I want and that doesnt mean throttling the car everywhere but I do use the engine, so I aint complaining to much. Definatly think V-power helps!!!!!

Wait till you get some years no claims then you can buy a beast, im only 23 with three yrs no claims and no accidents so all good.

Karl

Ahh so yeah strengthning the engine and replacing things like intercoolers etc yeah yeah im with you now lol. Do you know if montune do actually map the engine though to work with the larger intercooler etc to get the full use out of the parts.

23mpg thats not to bad for a 2.5t im getting about 32-4 depending on how hard i drive. My insurance will be sky high on an st225 im nearly 19 with 3 points for speeding so dont think its worth getting my hopes up anytime soon. :(

You'll have to keep us posted as to how it all goes with the upgrades ive seen montunes on pistonheads before now and they are genuinally smart little hatches prefer them to the rs at least in my case look less chavy.

Mike

Mountune do not specificaly remap the whole engine but they do calibrate the engine in line with the upgrades with the larger inercooler and air filter (the more sensible choice). These Mountune performance upgrades have been put to the test on circuts, so there is positive results.

Your first three points on your License "VERY" liitle effect your your insurance!!!! See....

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/cheap-car-insurance-tricks

Dont get me wrong I will prob get a RS in 2yrs time, but then I think can I justify the approx. £8,000 more??? I paid £18,000 for mine. So what more do I get for the RS apart from better looks?

Karl

Mountune do not specificaly remap the whole engine but they do calibrate the engine in line with the upgrades with the larger inercooler and air filter (the more sensible choice). These Mountune performance upgrades have been put to the test on circuts, so there is positive results.

Your first three points on your License "VERY" liitle effect your your insurance!!!! See....

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/cheap-car-insurance-tricks

Dont get me wrong I will prob get a RS in 2yrs time, but then I think can I justify the approx. £8,000 more??? I paid £18,000 for mine. So what more do I get for the RS apart from better looks?

Karl

If it was me with my money id aviod an rs like plague unles it was a mk1 in which case id make a bad mess in my pants if i saw it mk2 wise id only ever have an st the rs just looks vulgar to me no question its abilities amaze me but its just to try hard with the looks for my liking and me being a man with a fat !Removed! and large sholders the seats might be abit on the tight side for me saying that you dont know till you sit in them.

The best insurance trick is multy car policy's i saved about 800 quid by going on a policy with my mum and dad's cars as well as mine so a grand total of 3 cars and 3 drivers with my parents on mine, me as the main driver etc was 900 odd quid and on my own renewal policy it was 1,700ish rip off!

Mike

lol, you defo dont want to sit in my leather recaro seats :0 new stiff heated leather seats!!! keeps you seated at high speeds tho.

Yeh I wanted to try the multie car policy with admiral who are very cheap for young drivers, but no one else in the household was up for it.

Good job on that one tho :)

You ever heard of santa pod??

Karl

lol, you defo dont want to sit in my leather recaro seats :0 new stiff heated leather seats!!! keeps you seated at high speeds tho.

Yeh I wanted to try the multie car policy with admiral who are very cheap for young drivers, but no one else in the household was up for it.

Good job on that one tho :)

You ever heard of santa pod??

Karl

I have its a 1/4 mile long drag strip would love to take the focus there and compare the times to a full on hardcore rs or an st like yours compared to my lowley 1.6.

My dad's mondeo st220 has the same seats at the st-3 focus's there ace really comfey and the heaters are amazing can cook an egg on the !Removed! bit just wish they were red leather not the black (the cars silver).

Mike

Mike

Sorry to disappoint you guys but.......that is definitely not the case! :rolleyes:

Sorry to disappoint you guys but.......that is definitely not the case! :rolleyes:

Interesting :) what are the fully loaded options for the RS?

Interesting :) what are the fully loaded options for the RS?

Theres 2 option packs on the rs lux pack 1 and lux pack 2 (fords brillaint no frills naming there) let me know if ive missed anything off i just read up on the ford website which is about as upto date as a mk1 caviler.

Lux pack 1:

rain sensors/auto lights

Climate control

parking sensors

tyre pressure sensors

key free

auto dimming rear view mirror

Lux pack 2:

lux pack 1 + sat-nav

You can also just specify certain things like a sony DAB radio...

http://passionford.com/forum/general-discussion/309760-new-evo-mag-mountune-focus-st-vs-focus-rs.html

Thats just one of many links nocking around various forum sites, review sites and the like i still dont know how its faster and its only by a nats whisker. In the real world the rs would probs be the faster car but apparently from timing loops etc the montune is ever so slightly faster.

Personally id only ever be 100% about it after driving and thrashing the two cars to death on b-roads and tracks etc. I'm still hunting around for the orignal article or articles that lead to this coming to light so until then or if any of us finds it i think its a case for hearing things down the grape vine.

Mike

Theres 2 option packs on the rs lux pack 1 and lux pack 2 (fords brillaint no frills naming there) let me know if ive missed anything off i just read up on the ford website which is about as upto date as a mk1 caviler.

Lux pack 1:

rain sensors/auto lights

Climate control

parking sensors

tyre pressure sensors

key free

auto dimming rear view mirror

Lux pack 2:

lux pack 1 + sat-nav

You can also just specify certain things like a sony DAB radio...

http://passionford.com/forum/general-discussion/309760-new-evo-mag-mountune-focus-st-vs-focus-rs.html

Thats just one of many links nocking around various forum sites, review sites and the like i still dont know how its faster and its only by a nats whisker. In the real world the rs would probs be the faster car but apparently from timing loops etc the montune is ever so slightly faster.

Personally id only ever be 100% about it after driving and thrashing the two cars to death on b-roads and tracks etc. I'm still hunting around for the orignal article or articles that lead to this coming to light so until then or if any of us finds it i think its a case for hearing things down the grape vine.

Mike

I'm gobsmacked that most of Pack 1 isn't standard :huh: The auto lights and wipers & dimming mirror are basic Titanium spec for one! Though I'm not surprised about the satnav being its own option - I have the 7" touch screen unit in my Titanium, and I've since found out it was an extremely expensive option on the MKII pre-facelift...

I'm gobsmacked that most of Pack 1 isn't standard :huh: The auto lights and wipers & dimming mirror are basic Titanium spec for one! Though I'm not surprised about the satnav being its own option - I have the 7" touch screen unit in my Titanium, and I've since found out it was an extremely expensive option on the MKII pre-facelift...

I know the mk1 rs focus standard spec is well .. !Removed! my lowley edge has more kit on than the rs and alot of them dont have the heated front screen which i think is a must.

The sat nav system i think is about the 2000 quid mark not sure though i remember browsing though the config part of ford doing a mondeo 2.5t titanium out of boredom and the sony sat nav was about 2k if it is even sony that is lol.

Mike

I know the mk1 rs focus standard spec is well .. !Removed! my lowley edge has more kit on than the rs and alot of them dont have the heated front screen which i think is a must.

The sat nav system i think is about the 2000 quid mark not sure though i remember browsing though the config part of ford doing a mondeo 2.5t titanium out of boredom and the sony sat nav was about 2k if it is even sony that is lol.

Mike

The new shape has a newer system (~£1200 iirc), but from what I can tell, nothing noteworthy that is any better or worse than the old unit. The one I have is the system that was available in the previous shape Mondeo - a lot of the ST220/ST TDCi had them - it's a Denso unit with a DVD disc reader in the boot/glove box. £2k indeed ... ! But it did integrate a lot of other features in the car too. Glad I didn't pay it though :)

The new shape has a newer system (~£1200 iirc), but from what I can tell, nothing noteworthy that is any better or worse than the old unit. The one I have is the system that was available in the previous shape Mondeo - a lot of the ST220/ST TDCi had them - it's a Denso unit with a DVD disc reader in the boot/glove box. £2k indeed ... ! But it did integrate a lot of other features in the car too. Glad I didn't pay it though :)

Thats the advantage of buying a used car! lol. Even still if it was my car buying it new id rather buy a faster one then spend silly figures on a sat nav system if it was my pennys.

Mike

Thats the advantage of buying a used car! lol. Even still if it was my car buying it new id rather buy a faster one then spend silly figures on a sat nav system if it was my pennys.

Mike

I guess it depends on what your requirements are. I got bored of the 'fast' thing quite quickly, when I realised that even a modest bike was quicker than most quick cars I'd had the pleasure of driving :lol: That, and I only seem to do 150 mile+ runs these days, so would be insane to run another thirsty motor.

Back to the RS though - wasn't the MKII RS run more limited than the MKI?

I guess it depends on what your requirements are. I got bored of the 'fast' thing quite quickly, when I realised that even a modest bike was quicker than most quick cars I'd had the pleasure of driving :lol: That, and I only seem to do 150 mile+ runs these days, so would be insane to run another thirsty motor.

Back to the RS though - wasn't the MKII RS run more limited than the MKI?

There were 2 phases on the mk1 but the differences were tiny just things like stiching on the seats and a few stickers and mapping and i THINK they were only between 02 plates to 53.

The mk2 seems to be avable for a longer period of time and i dont think ford will axe what is probs the most powerfull hot hatckback that you can currently buy if one of the most expensive lol. The rs500 is the ultimate fast focus though and there are only around 100 of them in the country all of which sold in minitues so they are still exclusive just not as much as the mk1's i dont think.

I agree in a strange way on the performance thing the little 1.6 in mine is enough for me and the kind of driving i do just get up speed and dont brake for the corners :P same effect as the faster beast's.

Mike