Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus mk2 1.8 petrol

TomRym

Hi

I'm thinking to change oil in transmission but i cant find any tutorial on mk2. I guess its not much different from other versions but does any did it and have some tips? And which oil can u recommend? Apparently motocraft is good but again I cant find specific one that should go in to transmission.

oil as long as its 5w 30 and fully synthetic it doesn't matter it just depends on your budget. Here is a guide on the exact engine. 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, wilto said:

He want to change the gearbox oil.

Oh yeh 😂 

• Haha 1

The 1.8 Duratec HE has the 5-speed Ford IB5 gearbox. This gearbox is considered to filled for life and does not have a drain plug.

Draining the oil on this type of gearbox requires to take a driveshaft out. Another option is to use a vacuum pump to get the old oil out of the gearbox.

Do not try to drain the gearbox by removing the plug below the filler/level plug. This is not a drain plug but a spring loaded plug of the internal gear selector mechanism. I have seen several times before that removing this plug to drain the gearbox oil resulted in disassembling the gearbox.

• Like 2

Yeh so according to JW above it's the same as my one on the 1.6 I had it can be accessed from the front plastic cover on the passenger side and the fill hole can be opened with and Allen key. You can get a tube down there and sook it all out. Do not remove the bottom bolt it is not a drain plug. 

Screenshot_20201019_104827.jpg

• Like 2

I see, that would explain why there are no tutorials how to do it. Much appreciated!

• Like 1

On 10/19/2020 at 7:07 AM, JW1982 said:

The 1.8 Duratec HE has the 5-speed Ford IB5 gearbox. This gearbox is considered to filled for life and does not have a drain plug.

You mention that it is a ib5 gearbox which i wasnt aware about, so i did more digging and apparently it does have a drain plug like showed on that movie:

As soon as I'll get my car back I'll have a look is it the same. Might be different because movie description says 1997-2007 and i have 2010.

11 minutes ago, TomRym said:

You mention that it is a ib5 gearbox which i wasnt aware about, so i did more digging and apparently it does have a drain plug like showed on that movie:

As soon as I'll get my car back I'll have a look is it the same. Might be different because movie description says 1997-2007 and i have 2010.

I've not looked at the Youtube clip but I suspect from looking at the thumbnail that it's from the US.  The US never got what we call the MK2 Focus, they got MK1 (with a slightly different front end to the EU model) and MK3 (in european terms).  So although it might "technically" have the same gearbox, it'll almost certainly be a different revision/version and frankly, the odds of @JW1982 being wrong on something like this are about the same as the odds on winning the lottery without buying a ticket.

*Edit - Just skimmed the Youtube vid and that looks like an MTX-75 box to me?!?*

On 10/19/2020 at 9:07 AM, JW1982 said:

Is 5-speed manual as IB5 also in Focus 2.0 DuratecHE ?
Mine is Estate/Wagon mk2.5, my 2008. As per Etis: Focus 2008-, 2.0L Duratec-HE (145PS) - MI4, Blazer Blue

Which Focus models MTX-75 been used ?

2 minutes ago, AR7530v6 said:

Is 5-speed manual as IB5 also in Focus 2.0 DuratecHE ?
Mine is Estate/Wagon mk2.5, my 2008. As per Etis: Focus 2008-, 2.0L Duratec-HE (145PS) - MI4, Blazer Blue

Which Focus models MTX-75 been used ?

I think it various between markets, if you input your vehicle VIN into https://7zap.com/ the information summary at the the top of page should tell you what you need to know.  I've attached a screengrab of my MK2 TDCi to illustrate.

image.thumb.png.11dad8eafb00bb5b1e9532c837b3ebc2.png

1 hour ago, TomRym said:

No the bottom bolt holds together the selector shaft parts. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FatHead1979 said:

I've not looked at the Youtube clip but I suspect from looking at the thumbnail that it's from the US.  The US never got what we call the MK2 Focus, they got MK1 (with a slightly different front end to the EU model) and MK3 (in european terms).  So although it might "technically" have the same gearbox, it'll almost certainly be a different revision/version and frankly, the odds of @JW1982 being wrong on something like this are about the same as the odds on winning the lottery without buying a ticket.

*Edit - Just skimmed the Youtube vid and that looks like an MTX-75 box to me?!?*

It definitely is not an IB5 gearbox in this Youtube vid..

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club