Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk8 starting problems help/advice

mitch84

Hi

My fiesta mk8 would not start tonight after finishing work, well it did eventually but after a good 5-10 minutes trying it on and off.

Electrics seemed ok, so don’t think it was the battery, as radio worked auto lights came e.g

When I pressed the start button it was just cranking over and over trying to start.

Its a Ford direct car and had it under a year.

What do guys think my next step should be, I’m worried it will happen again now at work!
Should I phone fords service and get a diagnostics? 

Thanks

Breakdown cover?

Any warranty left?

Get it checked to find out what it could have been as it may not go away.

warranty yes and assume breakdown cover with ford direct.

Im ringing fords service this morning.

cheers

4 hours ago, Mavroz said:

Breakdown cover?

Any warranty left?

Get it checked to find out what it could have been as it may not go away.

Phoned my local service, earliest they can book me in is late next week, just have to hope my car holds out until then🙁

Was hoping I could just drive up there this morning.

9 hours ago, mitch84 said:

Hi

My fiesta mk8 would not start tonight after finishing work, well it did eventually but after a good 5-10 minutes trying it on and off.

Electrics seemed ok, so don’t think it was the battery, as radio worked auto lights came e.g

When I pressed the start button it was just cranking over and over trying to start.

Its a Ford direct car and had it under a year.

What do guys think my next step should be, I’m worried it will happen again now at work!
Should I phone fords service and get a diagnostics? 

Thanks

Ive had this before with my mk8. Left it an hour after it would't start and when i came back to it, it started. It reset my battery management system which i think was my problem. Not has any problems since.

8 minutes ago, Matthew McGuinness said:

Ive had this before with my mk8. Left it an hour after it would't start and when i came back to it, it started. It reset my battery management system which i think was my problem. Not has any problems since.

Hi

Did the car reset the battery management or was that something you did, is that a case of disconnecting the battery?

As you say it's strange as I was on talking to ford assistance and after I finished the call, I tried it and it just started.

8 minutes ago, mitch84 said:

Hi

Did the car reset the battery management or was that something you did, is that a case of disconnecting the battery?

As you say it's strange as I was on talking to ford assistance and after I finished the call, I tried it and it just started.

It reset the battery management its self. I noticed because some of my settings where back to default and for like a month before my stop start didn't really work and I was getting info on the screen pretty much every time i opened the door to tell me to turn it on or the screen will go off to save battery. As soon as it started after the blip of not starting my stop start worked perfectly and i havent seen that message on the screen since. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Matthew McGuinness said:

It reset the battery management its self. I noticed because some of my settings where back to default and for like a month before my stop start didn't really work and I was getting info on the screen pretty much every time i opened the door to tell me to turn it on or the screen will go off to save battery. As soon as it started after the blip of not starting my stop start worked perfectly and i havent seen that message on the screen since. 

I see, tried my car this morning and it started fine, was running a little rough on idle at first, but maybe thats normal for this time of the year or its the supermarket fuel, think I will start filling up at Shell again.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mitch84 said:

I see, tried my car this morning and it started fine, was running a little rough on idle at first, but maybe thats normal for this time of the year or its the supermarket fuel, think I will start filling up at shell again.

I have had mine for just over a year now, and to be honest when I have used Shell fuel, it hasn't made a difference to anything (idle, mpg, or 'driving experience'), but always good to get a bit of premium fuel in there every once in a while.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2020 at 9:00 AM, Matthew McGuinness said:

Hello folks,

Am intrigued by this thread. My mk8 (tdci) has started without problem since I bought it in July. But in the past couple of weeks the stop-start has stopped working. Did a long trip last weekend which I thought might help, but has made no difference. Am wondering if it could be the battery management but if so,  is there a way to prompt the car to reset it?

Hello everyone

I took it to Ford garage today, since my initial problem its been fine. Anyway they could not find an issue, so no idea what caused it, hopefully doesn't happen again.

They did do a PCM update, does anyone know what this is?

Also the orange engine light next to the battery icon on the dash, I noticed it flash 3 or 4 times before going solid, that's the first time I have ever noticed that and that was since picking it up today from fords?

On 10/23/2020 at 9:17 PM, wordchild said:

Hello folks,

Am intrigued by this thread. My mk8 (tdci) has started without problem since I bought it in July. But in the past couple of weeks the stop-start has stopped working. Did a long trip last weekend which I thought might help, but has made no difference. Am wondering if it could be the battery management but if so,  is there a way to prompt the car to reset it?

As stated in many many threads on the site it is down to many many reasons. Outside ambient temperature, load on the battery, for example having blowers on or charging phone etc. Low battery levels, especially if heated screens are on as they use a lot of power.

Noticed mine hasn't been doing it since the cold has come and I've been using the heated screens. Going to put the car on charge just to top up the battery this weekend just to be safe but its very normal for it not to always work.

On 10/29/2020 at 3:45 PM, mitch84 said:

Hello everyone

I took it to Ford garage today, since my initial problem its been fine. Anyway they could not find an issue, so no idea what caused it, hopefully doesn't happen again.

They did do a PCM update, does anyone know what this is?

Also the orange engine light next to the battery icon on the dash, I noticed it flash 3 or 4 times before going solid, that's the first time I have ever noticed that and that was since picking it up today from fords?

Hi Tel,

PCM = powertrain control module - the engine management electronics in other words. I guess only the dealer could tell you exactly what the update included though? But I'd guess the orange engine management light flashed post-update - has it done that since?

• Thanks 1

On 10/29/2020 at 7:36 PM, Tom44 said:

As stated in many many threads on the site it is down to many many reasons. Outside ambient temperature, load on the battery, for example having blowers on or charging phone etc. Low battery levels, especially if heated screens are on as they use a lot of power.

Noticed mine hasn't been doing it since the cold has come and I've been using the heated screens. Going to put the car on charge just to top up the battery this weekend just to be safe but its very normal for it not to always work.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your comment. I do understand that the stop/start only works within a number of parameters. I prob should have been clearer in previous comment  - the thing is that it did work regularly until 2 or 3 weeks back, & since then it has never worked at all. There's been no obvious change in usage or weather to explain it - am in the south and it hasn't been cold here. As mentioned I did a long trip the other weekend (760 miles) and even after that it has never worked. I've used the heated rear screen a few times but never the front one. 

Was struck by Matthew's comment above as battery management seemed a plausible explanation, hence my wondering if there's a way to 'nudge' the car to reset it... or maybe mine needs a PCM update too...😣 

33 minutes ago, wordchild said:

Hi Tel,

PCM = powertrain control module - the engine management electronics in other words. I guess only the dealer could tell you exactly what the update included though? But I'd guess the orange engine management light flashed post-update - has it done that since?

Hi

It did it a few more times since but not been to my car today, it’s been fine while driving, so not sure it’s anything to worry about, if all going well I will mention it the next time I take car in for service.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club