Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will Montune Just Upgrade/map My Ecu?

Jason Tierney

11 members have voted

1. 1. Montune to offer standalond ECU Remap?

• Yay
    • Nay

Pretty much as the title goes, ive emailed them but wanted to open a thread about it as well, I think a standalond remap thats approved by ford would go down well, for thoese that dont have 1000 to pay out but want a bit more power than standard?

What do you guys think?

For instance, In a while Id like to get a bit more power without losing my ford warranty- and while If i saved up for the upgrade, I could pay for it- theres no way I can affrod the insurance on the 140ps option. (£1000 120ps vs 3000 for 140ps upgrade!)

Where as a remap of approx 10% on my insurance will only add £30(plus 25 for admin charge maybe)

Pretty much as the title goes, ive emailed them but wanted to open a thread about it as well, I think a standalond remap thats approved by ford would go down well, for thoese that dont have 1000 to pay out but want a bit more power than standard?

What do you guys think?

For instance, In a while Id like to get a bit more power without losing my ford warranty- and while If i saved up for the upgrade, I could pay for it- theres no way I can affrod the insurance on the 140ps option. (£1000 120ps vs 3000 for 140ps upgrade!)

Where as a remap of approx 10% on my insurance will only add £30(plus 25 for admin charge maybe)

Where have you got those figures from?

I'm sure you're insurance will increase more than 10% and 10% of £1000 = £100.

I meant 10% power increase. so from 118bhp + 10%.

And I got thoese figures(I.e The price increase) from my insurance company.

Do you reckon a remap alone would add 10% power? I personally don't. Thus, I'm convinced that it's not worth paying for at all - especially on a petrol engine. You need the other mods too in order to really benefit.

I meant 10% power increase. so from 118bhp + 10%.

And I got thoese figures(I.e The price increase) from my insurance company.

So you're only paying £300 insurance at the moment?

A simple remap wont get you an extra 10% in power alone. Also, i don't think Mountune will do a remap alone as i'm guessing the remap code they use will be for desgined for use with the different air filter and exhaust (which gain futher BHP).

Save up your money and get the full upgrade kit.

JT is saying that a remap which gives a 10% power increase will add £30 to his current insurance policy. He is currently paying £1000 for his insurance so the new figure will be £(1000 + 30 + 25) = £1055

I think you should enquire about the ECU update but the chances are Mountune will tell you to buy the whole kit! Worth a try though, i'm in the same situation with insurance etc

Im glad someone understands me! :)

I didnt think i explained it too badly. I am currently paying 1000 for insurance. After asking about a remap of up to 10% of the cars power would add £30 onto my premium.

Im aware the remap wont add 700 horsepower, just like the S badge on front of mine doesnt add 15bhp - I wasnt looking for alot - in fairness the montune upgrade its self doesnt offer alot, But I have read alot of good things about it so It would be great in a perfect world to have that. I just thought that as the 1.6 we have in our fiestas is the same 1.6( just with 5bhp more eeked out) as the 115bhp 1.6 ti-vct from the mk2 focus. And remaps from that car/engine have gained from the standard 115 hp to 127 hp.

Anyway Montune got back to me to advise they dont/wont do standalone remaps.

Ok so been messing about with the insurance quotes. non-standard manifold and exhaust and engine remap 0-10% adds about 130 onto my policy. but the montune upgrade its self(It has its own car model) is 3000.

I would still be insured if I advised them I was having an aftermarket full exhaust system and a remap. So, why do they do this. Insurance is a strange beast.

Callum! You work in insurance, would I still be covered by selecting seperate options rather than selecting the 140ps upgrade in the car model box.

• 1 month later...

Hi

I'm thinking the exact same thing!

Declaring the seperate items is cheap for me and expensive to declare the 140 upgrade! I want to add the mountune kit to my s1600 so does anybody know the best way to decalre this on inurance?

Ok so been messing about with the insurance quotes. non-standard manifold and exhaust and engine remap 0-10% adds about 130 onto my policy. but the montune upgrade its self(It has its own car model) is 3000.

I would still be insured if I advised them I was having an aftermarket full exhaust system and a remap. So, why do they do this. Insurance is a strange beast.

Callum! You work in insurance, would I still be covered by selecting seperate options rather than selecting the 140ps upgrade in the car model box.

Its because the montune upgrade has more than just the manifold exhaust and remap and will increase the price of the car.

Hi

I'm thinking the exact same thing!

Declaring the seperate items is cheap for me and expensive to declare the 140 upgrade! I want to add the mountune kit to my s1600 so does anybody know the best way to decalre this on inurance?

They may have it down as a s1600 upgrade 140 hp possibly.......

The Mountune Performance upgrade [...] consists of a high-flow air induction system' date=' a high performance exhaust including high-flow catalyst and tubular manifold, and re-calibration of Fords 1.6-litre Duratec Ti-VCT engine[/quote']

So aftermarket induction, airfilter, full exhaust system, manifold and remap

That tick box proberly includes the alloys and stripes etc a suppose? Rather than just the mechinical parts

i believe its the same as what mountune offer just alot cheaper

It's a couple of hundred quid cheaper but with Mountune you retain the Ford warranty and the residuals will be better due to it being an official Fiesta variant. The extra would probably pay for itself in the long run.

• 1 month later...

Hi i noticed you guys were talking about remaps. Just to point out a remap does not have to be declared to insurence because theres no way of them finding out you have had a remap (Or so ive been told) ...... Anyway, Im a member of fordmondeo.org and ive basically joined this site because they are organising a rolling road and remap day. Click here for more info http://fordmondeo.org/forum/showtopic.php?tid/839533/tp/1/

Thanks.

The Pumaspeed kit with sports cat should not affect your warranty as all the parts share the same product code as the mountune kit, in other words they are the same. Same K&N Panel Filter, Samco induction hose, Milltek exhaust(although the sharp eyed amongst you will know the Mountune kit tailpipes have Mountune stamped on them instead of Milltek) and a remap and they cannot tell if it's a Mountune remap or not, if there is any difference. Regards about the remap, Mountune say it only adds 5bhp more the rest is gained by the hardware. When I bought my ZS I asked about fitting the Mountune kit I was told not to bother, instead go to Pumaspeed and have their kit fitted as it wouldn't affect my warranty, that was straight from the Ford dealerships managers mouth.

The Pumaspeed kit with sports cat should not affect your warranty as all the parts share the same product code as the mountune kit, in other words they are the same. Same K&N Panel Filter, Samco induction hose, Milltek exhaust(although the sharp eyed amongst you will know the Mountune kit tailpipes have Mountune stamped on them instead of Milltek) and a remap and they cannot tell if it's a Mountune remap or not, if there is any difference. Regards about the remap, Mountune say it only adds 5bhp more the rest is gained by the hardware. When I bought my ZS I asked about fitting the Mountune kit I was told not to bother, instead go to Pumaspeed and have their kit fitted as it wouldn't affect my warranty, that was straight from the Ford dealerships managers mouth.

It's not the same, and it DOES void your warranty.

The ONLY upgrade parts that don't affect your warranty are from Mountune Performance. When the calibration is applied your vehicles details are updated in Ford's ETIS system which means when a dealer plugs their IDS into it they can see it has the official upgrade installed and thus doesn't affect your warranty.

Any other modifications, including Pumaspeed's offering which is similar - not the same...does not offer this, nor does it have the same calibration as the one used in the Mountune 140 kit. Don't be fooled by what any ill-informed dealers or tuners might tell you, the above is 100% fact.

A remap or calibration on its own will do very little... it was hard enough to get an additional 20PS from the engine within the confines of our remit and the cost to engineer and sign-off something that doesn't really add anything would be huge and relatively pointless.

Just as a side note: For those that are a little more power hungry you might just see an additional stage of tune to compliment the existing 140 kit in the not too distant future!

The ONLY upgrade parts that don't affect your warranty are from Mountune Performance. When the calibration is applied your vehicles details are updated in Ford's ETIS system which means when a dealer plugs their IDS into it they can see it has the official upgrade installed and thus doesn't affect your warranty.

Any other modifications, including Pumaspeed's offering which is similar - not the same...does not offer this, nor does it have the same calibration as the one used in the Mountune 140 kit. Don't be fooled by what any ill-informed dealers or tuners might tell you, the above is 100% fact.

A remap or calibration on its own will do very little... it was hard enough to get an additional 20PS from the engine within the confines of our remit and the cost to engineer and sign-off something that doesn't really add anything would be huge and relatively pointless.

Just as a side note: For those that are a little more power hungry you might just see an additional stage of tune to compliment the existing 140 kit in the not too distant future!

Any update on an upgrade to the 2009 1.6 TDCi engine? I remember you said a while ago this was a possibility.

Hi Dave, do you have any more info on what the extra upgrade would consist of, estimated power output and when it would be available?

Thanks

i would be great to see another power upgrade to go with the exterior package,will they be on show at ford fair

Hi i noticed you guys were talking about remaps. Just to point out a remap does not have to be declared to insurence because theres no way of them finding out you have had a remap (Or so ive been told) ...... Anyway, Im a member of fordmondeo.org and ive basically joined this site because they are organising a rolling road and remap day. Click here for more info http://fordmondeo.org/forum/showtopic.php?tid/839533/tp/1/

Thanks.

Since nobody has picked up on this I feel that I should.

You MUST TELL YOUR INSURANCE about a remap.

Say you crash and as part of the repairs the car is hooked up to the diagnostics machine thing. It will see that a non-stock calibration is present. One mention of this to the insurance and you'll be funding the repairs yourself.

Since nobody has picked up on this I feel that I should.

You MUST TELL YOUR INSURANCE about a remap.

Say you crash and as part of the repairs the car is hooked up to the diagnostics machine thing. It will see that a non-stock calibration is present. One mention of this to the insurance and you'll be funding the repairs yourself.

Good point when you insure the mountune upgraded car there is the option 140 upgrade listed and as dave has said when they upgeade thr ecu it goes onto fords ETIS system so the dealer can see stright away.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club