Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Delayed Acceleration

starfield

When on neutral and I press the gas there is a delay for the engine to rev (around or less than a second). This is very much audible. It becomes more noticeable when on first, second and lesser on third gear, foot off the clutch then press the gas. The car will not accelerate straight away but delays the acceleration and then suddenly there is a surge in acceleration, pushing you back in your seat.

When on neutral and I press the gas there is a delay for the engine to rev (around or less than a second). This is very much audible. It becomes more noticeable when on first, second and lesser on third gear, foot off the clutch then gently press the gas. The car will not accelerate straight away but delays the acceleration and then suddenly there is a surge in acceleration, pushing you back in your seat.

sounds like clutch slip but it should be checked out at a garage as a faulty maf can cause similar symptoms so can a leaking pipe in the engine bay

I do not think it could be a sliping clutch because it does it even on neutral

is there anyway that i can diagnose a faulty maf?

The leaking pipe is leaking what?

I do not think it could be a sliping clutch because it does it even on neutral

is there anyway that i can diagnose a faulty maf?

The leaking pipe is leaking what?

Leaking air,if it was the MAF surely you would get a engine management warning come up on your dash?

Leaking air,if it was the MAF surely you would get a engine management warning come up on your dash?

could be a pipe leaking air it could be a maf as they can go without throwing a dash light though not often blocked fuel filter leaking injector the list could go on and the only real way to diagnose it without needlessly replacing parts is to have ford hook it up to live diagnostics even a faulty sensor could cause these symptoms

I've noticed it in a few new cars. Is it not because of the fly-by-wire system? I drove a friends car with a throttle cable the other day and I was surprised at how quick the pedal force was transferred to the throttle on the engine. I assume with newer cars the delay may simply be the computers 'thinking' time.

Dave.

what is the TPS?

does my ford has the fly by wire? (56 reg)

throttle position sensor.

As your focus is newer, it will have a fly by wire. can you hear any hissing sounds under the bonnet? that would be a good indication of a leak.

i would like to add that there are no DTC codes when i run the dashboard diagnostics.

but will you get a DTC code though? what i am saying is: will you get a DTC code and not knowing what it is?

they can do a live feed test so they will run the car and monitor what doing what and when and where the fault is ext. my focus wouldn't run only DCT on standard diagnostic was running lean bank 1, when the did that they wiped the ecu memory deleting the code and the car wouldn't run, took it to a diagnostics center and for £80 they told me it was the fuel pump gods knows how they got it running but they did and on a rolling road worked out what it was. £80 seems alot but i could have spent 5 times that working through everything the would make it run lean

UPDATE:

By the way i just bought the car from a franchised dealer and the car is still under a 3 months warranty. (that is why i am being very fussy...)

Took the car to Dees of Croydon and they said that they have updated the control unit. The issue has not been resolved and the car just feels the same.

I've never checked mine specifically, but is a focus DBW or cable?

If its a cable, check its not frayed and flowing freely, also check for slack

i think it is DBW as i cannot see the cable and considering it is newer

I think i figured it out: there is nothing wrong with the car to start with. What I thought was wrong with the car was the drive by wire system on board. I have never driven a drive by wire vehicle before. I have been googling DBW extensively and there is always a delay or lag that is associated with the system whatever the make or model.

Thanks to everybody who pointed me in this particular direction

No problem. I knew it would be, it takes some getting used to!

• 10 years later...

Yeah, exactly my experience. I had been driving my trusty old 1998 'family' Mazda 323 for the last 14 years, old school car, excellent mechanics. 'On paper' only 76 bhp as opposed to the 'new' 1.6 Ford Focus at 113 bhp. Guess which one seems faster?

I am not 'knocking' the Ford, it's so quiet by comparison and a pleasure to drive, I don't (didn't) drive with a heavy foot but I knew how to find the power in the old car and it responded immediately if I had to put my foot down. The Ford Focus seems like it has a 'Homer Simpson moment' and a great big YAWN before it goes faster?

I am adjusting my driving style to try to make the car 'glide along the road'; no big breaking, no big accelerating just smooth driving but I find that I need to make greater adjustments, I have to be aggressive on the accelerator to make this 'yawny' car move smartly. Are there 'settings' that will allow a more responsive drive?

Pax

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club