Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Ecoboost Coolant Hose

Agreeable-plum

Hi,

We have a 2013 Ford Focus Ecoboost 1.0 which we had serviced a couple weeks ago at a non-ford garage nearby. They said that one of the coolant hoses was leaking slightly but I'd just paid £600 for the full service and a few bits & pieces so I couldn't afford another £170 to replace the coolant hose at the time. The car was driving fine before and since the service but when I got back home last night it died just down my road and then started again but with much less power than normal and then when I stopped at my house I could see it was smoking from the engine.

This morning I took a look and the coolant was way below the minimum level so I topped it up and started the engine which sounds a bit off but seems to idle ok. The coolant level stayed at around the same level but after a few mins the engine started to smoke. Here is a video of the smoke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpG40RQjzw4&feature=youtu.be

Apparently this is an issue which Ford know about and often covered by a goodwill program but I need the car and the nearest appt at a Ford garage is a long time away so I'd have to pay for the car to be tower to the garage and hire a car until its fixed which could be expensive. My local garage can do it much sooner and we can push the car there but obviously we'd couldn't make use of the Ford goodwill program. If it's just the coolant hose and it's £170 then I'll probably just get the local garage to do it but the engine is damaged as a result of overheating then I'd go with the Ford garage.

Is there any way for me to tell if it's just the coolant hose or something more serious?

43 minutes ago, Agreeable-plum said:

Hi,

We have a 2013 Ford Focus Ecoboost 1.0 which we had serviced a couple weeks ago at a non-ford garage nearby. They said that one of the coolant hoses was leaking slightly but I'd just paid £600 for the full service and a few bits & pieces so I couldn't afford another £170 to replace the coolant hose at the time. The car was driving fine before and since the service but when I got back home last night it died just down my road and then started again but with much less power than normal and then when I stopped at my house I could see it was smoking from the engine.

This morning I took a look and the coolant was way below the minimum level so I topped it up and started the engine which sounds a bit off but seems to idle ok. The coolant level stayed at around the same level but after a few mins the engine started to smoke. Here is a video of the smoke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpG40RQjzw4&feature=youtu.be

Apparently this is an issue which Ford know about and often covered by a goodwill program but I need the car and the nearest appt at a Ford garage is a long time away so I'd have to pay for the car to be tower to the garage and hire a car until its fixed which could be expensive. My local garage can do it much sooner and we can push the car there but obviously we'd couldn't make use of the Ford goodwill program. If it's just the coolant hose and it's £170 then I'll probably just get the local garage to do it but the engine is damaged as a result of overheating then I'd go with the Ford garage.

Is there any way for me to tell if it's just the coolant hose or something more serious?

I think the fix you need is to upgrade your degas pipes etc to the MK3.5.Search for EcoBoost engine failure relating to coolant on this site👍

• Like 1

Thanks - I called my local garage and they said they will just fit whatever parts Ford send them because otherwise it won't be covered by warranty. Do you know if Ford would supply the mk3.5 parts or would they just replace with the old parts even though they know there is an issue with them?

On 10/29/2020 at 2:45 PM, Agreeable-plum said:

Thanks - I called my local garage and they said they will just fit whatever parts Ford send them because otherwise it won't be covered by warranty. Do you know if Ford would supply the mk3.5 parts or would they just replace with the old parts even though they know there is an issue with them?

You need the upgrade unless you want a repeat performance or possibly worse.Don’t except anything less👍

• Like 2

£170 ?????.....I bought both MK3.5 hoses from Ford last year for £53 retail and it is a 15 minute job to change them. 👍

• Like 1