Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2004 Ford Focus 1.8 TDCI Dura-Torq fuel system.

mcbutler

Hello everyone,

Well ten days ago my faithful old 2004 focus with only 80 miles on the clock farted, rattled dumped diesel smoke and then died!

Had the car recovered, no fault codes at all.

Garage found the fuel filter was full of bits so it was changed and car started, I collected it and off I went.

Ten miles later at high revs climbing a hill it hapened again, i stopped and it kept running but when revved over 2k rpm it rattles, spits smoke and then dies.

I am trying to determine the fuel path from the engine to injector. As I understand it the low pressure pump is part of the injection pump, this draws fuel from the engine then pushes it through the fuel filter, this then return to the high pressure side of the pump, on to the common rail manifold and then injectors, is that correct?

Also if I disconnect the fuel filter inlet hose should I get fuel exiting the fuel filter inlet hose when I crank the engine?

LP pump, at the back of the HP pump, draws fuel from the tank. Than fuel pass through the filter, than LP than to HP pump, common rail, than injectors...leftovers back to the tank.

When replacing a fuel filter a rubber gasket (a new one from the box) is placed between fuel canister body and the new filter. Than you tighten the lid, reconnect the inlet pipe and using a priming pump remove the air from the fuel filter case. also it's important to make sure an o-ring is sitting firm on the fuel filter lid nose (that enters the filter). Looks like that a new gasket is placed wrong in your case (btw filter insert and the lid), in this case do not reuse the existing gasket since it's out of shape and functionality. Or you may have an air leak along the fuel pipe lines.

If you disconnect the inlet hose and crank the engine no fuel out....

17 hours ago, Ned_Mk2_1.8tdci said:

LP pump, at the back of the HP pump, draws fuel from the tank. Than fuel pass through the filter, than LP than to HP pump, common rail, than injectors...leftovers back to the tank.

When replacing a fuel filter a rubber gasket (a new one from the box) is placed between fuel canister body and the new filter. Than you tighten the lid, reconnect the inlet pipe and using a priming pump remove the air from the fuel filter case. also it's important to make sure an o-ring is sitting firm on the fuel filter lid nose (that enters the filter). Looks like that a new gasket is placed wrong in your case (btw filter insert and the lid), in this case do not reuse the existing gasket since it's out of shape and functionality. Or you may have an air leak along the fuel pipe lines.

If you disconnect the inlet hose and crank the engine no fuel out....

MK1 fuel filter is a sealed unit, also doesn’t require a priming pump👍

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club