Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anti freeze change

madman

Hi guys.

As winter is coming I asked that garage to anti freeze check with meter. He basically said it was just water with tiny amount antifreeze. 

Anyone got a guide or steps on how to do this car also currently at mo has k seal in it, I suppose it ok drain it.

Is it case of unscrew rad cap drain it,  fill it up run car with cap off for airlocks, job done or flush it.

Cheers guys

First drain coolant (I just remove lower radiator hose usually). Remember to remove the cap so it can drain.

Refit hose or install drain plug.

Fill expansion tank with fresh coolant till you hit the max mark. Start the car and let it idle a bit, you might find the level drop a bit. If the heater doesn't get hot the rev the car and hold it there for a bit. You should find the tank "burp" as the pump spins faster to clear the air lock. Job done.

Got drain plug on focus MK2 on rad after u remove the lower underbody Shield.

Read somewhere after coolant drain.  Fill car up with clean water start it up let it run to temperature, switch off wait for it cool and remove plug again and drain is that the flush. 

I got some that 10 year green stuff already mixed.  Focus takes about 6 litres

Need some help here thanks. 

It's it better buy concentrate or ready mixed anti freeze/coolant.  Why I ask this last night I got some Prestone anti freeze/coolant and says lasts 10 years or 300,000 miles and think it's green.  I have focus mark 2 and is think spec red stuff.

Currently car is full to max mark and I had it tested and it's basically water, hence need some coolant. 

Obviously can't get nothing in at mo being on Max. If I drain it focus it holds 6 litres does all 6 litres come out or is some water still left system. If they're is water left in system and I add this green Prestone ready mixed stuff will the mixture be to weak, or should I take back and buy red concentrate stuff. 

And after drain coolant system u fill it up with water for little flush thru would this be tap water or distilled water. 

Thanks guys

Doesn't matter whether it's ready mixed or concentrate as the process is the same.  If concentrate, I'd recommend mixing it in a clean bottle first rather than just pouring and guessing.  Old 5l screenwash bottle is ideal but a 2 litre drinks bottle will be fine, just need to fill it 3 times.

I'd stick with pink stuff personally as you'll never get all of the old out, some gets stuck in the heater matrix and engine block.  I wouldn't flush it as some plain water will get stuck in the system and bring the concentration down when you add the new stuff.  

Tbh you'd be best asking the garage how much they'd charge.  Coolant is a right pain to dispose of, you can't pour it down the drain or take it to the tip.  It'll only take a few minutes for a garage to drain and refill so cheap labour as well.

• Like 1

Thanks.

Been to some garages and quoted between 40 and some are 50 pound for coolant change and online mechanic site 80. 

This Prestone stuff is green and it can be used with any antifreeze I brought 6 bottle its on offer at Tesco 3 quid. 

As it lasts ten years 300,000 miles I know car won't last that long.  

If you want to keep some in your garage to top up, I use this stuff, can be mixed with ANY colour anti freeze you have installed in your system. Was half price in Tesco but just checked and the offer is now over, still, not overly expensive at full price!

prestone.thumb.jpeg.2a18db87c8fbb281ee4f1f5ecf8b79cc.jpeg

Just now, madman said:

Thanks.

Been to some garages and quoted between 40 and some are 50 pound for coolant change and online mechanic site 80. 

This Prestone stuff is green and it can be used with any antifreeze I brought 6 bottle its on offer at Tesco 3 quid. 

As it lasts ten years 300,000 miles I know car won't last that long.  

£50 for a coolant change and disposal seems like a decent price to me, wouldn't pay much more than that though.  Presumably that includes the coolant so only £30 if you're supplying your own?

The car may not last that long but it'll more than likely need a waterpump or radiator change at some point.

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

£50 for a coolant change and disposal seems like a decent price to me, wouldn't pay much more than that though.  Presumably that includes the coolant so only £30 if you're supplying your own?

Now you break it down like that, I guess my recent heater matrix repair (which included an anti freeze/coolant change) now looks positively great value at £180 LOL

My water pump did little leak drip and those horrible heater matrix pipes seal went twice. Kseal at moment has stopped it. 

Yeah that's the stuff in yellow bottle I got 6 bottles 18 quid, or maybe take back and get pink stuff. 

If green stuff goes in and if water pump or rad does go can coolant be changed easily even if it's different colour.  

This weekend is just drain it, fill it with Prestone or pink and job done,

Or drain, it flush, it fill it.

Thanks so much guys

Just now, StephenFord said:

Now you break it down like that, I guess my recent heater matrix repair (which included an anti freeze/coolant change) now looks positively great value at £180 LOL

Was there much left in yours to drain and dispose of then? :whistling:

Seriously though, the county council charge for disposing of hazardous waste (including anti-freeze) is a minimum of £45 per collection here...  So the only reasonable way to dispose of it is to take it to a local garage who'll probably charge a fiver or more.  Plus a garage ramp is level, whereas the car will be pointing upwards on one pair of axle stands on a driveway, meaning there'll be more old coolant left in the system.  Lastly, the garage should be familiar with bleeding and may even use a vacuum bleeder to ensure there are no airlocks.

Honestly, for the sake of half an hours labour, I'd pay to have it done. :biggrin: 

Decided to do it today,  I've drained it 5 of 6 litres came out.

The other litre in system still I guess. The 5 litres water is light brown but I have k.seal in it so that may change its colour.

Will this water go clear at all?. 

7 minutes ago, madman said:

Will this water go clear at all?. 

It may go clear with the addition of bleach, but DON'T do that!! It's a bit of a Trumpism LOL

• Haha 1

Nah wouldn't put that in it. 

I've drained it and water light brown with k seal in it I don't think it will ever go clean

You can use a dishwasher tablet (crumbled up!) in the cooling system for a few miles to clean it out.  They don't lather up like Fairy liquid or laundry detergent would.

That last litre will be mostly in the heater matrix, the hoses are high up so you can't get ever it out using a gravity drain alone.  You can force it our with air pressure.  Or flush it through with clean water from a garden hose.

However, if you're only worried about winter protection, you might as well just stick the Prestone in and ignore the colour lol.

• Like 1

Here's a question.....?

Car holds 6 litres water,. I drained it took 5 litres water out. I put Prestone in and took 4 litres

Why?

Did you run it and wait on the level dropping? 

Refilling/Bleeding The System

1. Fill the reservoir a couple inches below the bottom fill neck
2. Set the Climate control to Fan Speed 1, and the temp knob all the way to hot.
3. Start the engine and let it run.
4. Start filling the resevoir to the "Max" line. Watch the fluid level and keep filling it to "Max" as fluid enters the system. Listen for the fan to kick on. Make sure fluid is at max at this point.
5. Fasten the lid back on the resevoir

• Like 2

2 hours ago, madman said:

Here's a question.....?

Car holds 6 litres water,. I drained it took 5 litres water out. I put Prestone in and took 4 litres

Why?

There's a massive air lock in the system.  Needs bleeding as above.

Cheers guys.

Seems ok heater feels hot, focus temp gauge halfway,  had bonnet open fan not kicked in once yet. Had it running this afternoon with cap off heater on hot and blower 3 speed and holding revs at about 2500 revs for couple mins with cap off. Put about another half bottle in of green stuff tonight left on blower 1 heater temp full and idleing with cap off  Seems all good thanks guys. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Seriously though, the county council charge for disposing of hazardous waste (including anti-freeze) is a minimum of £45 per collection here...  So the only reasonable way to dispose of it is to take it to a local garage who'll probably charge a fiver or more.

I have done several coolant drain outs recently.

My local tip accepts used coolant in marked up containers without any fuss or bother.

Give them a try.

ScaniaPBman.

1 minute ago, ScaniaPBman said:

I have done several coolant drain outs recently.

My local tip accepts used coolant in marked up containers without any fuss or bother.

Give them a try.

ScaniaPBman.

Mine doesn't. :sad: 

They only accept engine oil (but not recyclable oil filters!).   When I first started doing car work about a decade ago I just dumped coolant/PAS fluid/brake fluid/gear oil etc all in the waste oil tanker but I have a bit more conscience these days...sadly! :laugh: 

Good to know some councils do accept it though!

Need some help guys.

Had car running today on drive way for 15-20 mins the heater is only warm, the temp gauge stayed on 60c on gauge the very first mark.where it starts and not moved,  The rev counter when first start up focus started 1250 then drops just below 1 about 750.

What's wrong 

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Is there an way to check thermostat on focus MK2. Temp gauge doest seem to move when idle.

I'm have forscan can that test it if that helps. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club