Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus mk4 start/stop function

Poremba

1 hour ago, pcaouolte said:

If they didn't restart the car for these reasons and it restarted later for one of the many other reasons listed then it could be moving with no-one inside it. That might be a bit dangerous!

The point is that engine doesn't need to restart at all after a driver's door open.  If I open my door while the SS is active, a dash warning appears for 'manual engine restart' and will not restart again without a clutch press.  No chance of the car running away on its own,  seems a much safer idea than Ford's!

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

I’m pretty sure there is a beep/bong as well ! 
What I’ve realised about these mk4 focus (changing up from a 2010 astra ) all the tech I’ve had to learn to use, I’ve questioned most of it , there’s always method behind the madness. S/S may be unpopular on here but I like it with auto hold too. Both can be controlled with light breaking ...on the automatic anyway. 

Next car I'm looking at will be DSG with auto hold and electronic handbrake... definitely going to take some getting used to after 10 years of manuals and a handbrake lever! :laugh:

I don't mind SS at all due to the type of driving I do.  I rarely do heavy traffic so it only cuts at traffic lighted crossings, level crossings and traffic lighted roundabouts where I'll be stopped for a while anyway.  Being manual though, I can stop the engine cutting just as the lights change by keeping the clutch down...will be annoying if I can't do the equivalent with an auto, but as far as I've read, they use the same system of a 'gentle' press on the brake not triggering the SS.

This is the 1st auto I’ve owned....not going back now..got just less than 2 years left with the stx . Ford get a lot of bad press , especially with this model but personally I’m pleased with mine. Seriously considered a merc gla before researching, 2/5 was the general reviewers consensus. Whereas the focus 4/5 by most reviewers. Btw my local VW dealership has closed , Fords hanging in there...for now. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

The point is that engine doesn't need to restart at all after a driver's door open. 

Much too simple. 😀

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Alex.S said:

Both can be controlled with light breaking

How do you control it with a broken light?

• Haha 4

I hate SS in an auto.  In the rare times it works for me it is either annoying or dangerous.  I'm just glad it can be controlled on the brake.

To get into my drive I have to go forward and then reverse in. SS will cut the engine and start it again in the second it takes for me to move the dial from D to R.  Utterly pointless.

One of the best features on the  MK4 is that unless you do lots of long journeys the ss doesn't work very often.😀

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

I only do short journeys...works 99% of the time. 

I suspect your in a minority.

8 hours ago, mjt said:

How do you control it with a broken light?

Took me a while to notice my own typo! 
For owners who don’t like the SS ...press the button..

5 minutes ago, Comares2001 said:

I suspect your in a minority.

So it seems.

Whilst downloading maps OTA it didn’t work often 

Dealer reset / recalibrated the battery / auto start stop - sorry don’t know technical term and mine now works again fine. Might be worth asking your dealer to do this.

On 11/11/2020 at 6:15 PM, Alex.S said:

Took me a while to notice my own typo! 
For owners who don’t like the SS ...press the button..

I'd only say that I shouldnt have to.  I should be able to globally disable it once and for all in Settings.  Same as colission avoidance.

On 11/15/2020 at 2:49 PM, Guy Heaton said:

I'd only say that I shouldnt have to.  I should be able to globally disable it once and for all in Settings.  Same as colission avoidance.

I guess with SS turned off it wouldn’t meet emission levels . 

8 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

I guess with SS turned off it wouldn’t meet emission levels . 

Exactly that.  It's not meant to be a choice.  Interesting that you can permanently disable collision avoidance though, I wonder if that would be considered in an insurance claim for a slow speed impact. 🤔

4 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Exactly that.  It's not meant to be a choice.  Interesting that you can permanently disable collision avoidance though, I wonder if that would be considered in an insurance claim for a slow speed impact. 🤔

A lot of today’s tech is potentially a future legal quagmire. Even the voice recognition stuff or hands free calls. For me it’s same as talking to a passenger or changing radio station. Depends how you look at it . 
Funnily enough I got a Completely unnecessary collision avoidance beep today. It’s been 8 months since last time. It’s meant to brake if need be?
Has anyone tested it with cardboard boxes ? 

• Like 2

On 11/15/2020 at 2:37 PM, SB active X estate said:

Dealer reset / recalibrated the battery / auto start stop - sorry don’t know technical term and mine now works again fine. Might be worth asking your dealer to do this.

BMS reset process.

1. Get in the car and do all from points 2 to 4 within 10 seconds. A second person reading the instructions out loud helps.
2. Switch headlights on. Turn on the ignition with the engine off (key in position II) or press stop/start button without pressing clutch pedal.
3. Turn rear fog light switch on and off 5 times.
4. Turn hazard light switch on and off 3 times.
5. If everything goes OK the battery light will flash 3 times on the dash within the next 15 seconds.
6. Turn headlights off and switch off the ignition.

21 hours ago, Alex.S said:

A lot of today’s tech is potentially a future legal quagmire. Even the voice recognition stuff or hands free calls. For me it’s same as talking to a passenger or changing radio station. Depends how you look at it . 
Funnily enough I got a Completely unnecessary collision avoidance beep today. It’s been 8 months since last time. It’s meant to brake if need be?
Has anyone tested it with cardboard boxes ? 

Mine bongs when a gnat flaps its wings a mile away.

It loves those staggered single lanes were either you give way or the other side does, depending.  So you are driving towards a stationary car until you do the dog leg.  Bongs every time, never once actually put the brakes on.  It bongs on a particular bend on my work route as it detects a house as a car.  It bongs when i go down a road with parked cars either side unless I'm doing 15 mph.

Utterly, completely pointless and I wish I could switch it off.    That's all I ask, a choice.  If someone else wants it that's great, just give me a choice.  Like the rear camera.  All I wanted was a rear camera.  Not park assist.  Seriously who ever actually uses park assist?

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

It loves those staggered single lanes were either you give way or the other side does, depending.  So you are driving towards a stationary car until you do the dog leg.  Bongs every time, never once actually put the brakes on.  It bongs on a particular bend on my work route as it detects a house as a car.  It bongs when i go down a road with parked cars either side unless I'm doing 15 mph.

Utterly, completely pointless and I wish I could switch it off.    That's all I ask, a choice.  If someone else wants it that's great, just give me a choice.  Like the rear camera.  All I wanted was a rear camera.  Not park assist.  Seriously who ever actually uses park assist?

Oh, I misread your earlier post!  Thought you'd permanently switched off collision assist!

On 11/16/2020 at 8:18 PM, PaterAnt said:

BMS reset process.

1. Get in the car and do all from points 2 to 4 within 10 seconds. A second person reading the instructions out loud helps.
2. Switch headlights on. Turn on the ignition with the engine off (key in position II) or press stop/start button without pressing clutch pedal.
3. Turn rear fog light switch on and off 5 times.
4. Turn hazard light switch on and off 3 times.
5. If everything goes OK the battery light will flash 3 times on the dash within the next 15 seconds.
6. Turn headlights off and switch off the ignition.

I have seen this done on youtube but always seems to be on MK3 Focus have you actually tried it on a MK4 Focus as it does not work on my 2019 MK4 Vignale

6 hours ago, Guy Heaton said:

I’m sure you’ve changed settings to low , maybe it’s somehow stuck on high sensitivity. Cause that ain’t normal. 

• Like 1

On 11/17/2020 at 11:41 PM, Alex.S said:

I’m sure you’ve changed settings to low , maybe it’s somehow stuck on high sensitivity. Cause that ain’t normal. 

Mines on the lowest setting , the other two are too sensitive, I nearly 💩'ed myself the first time it did it, on the way home from the dealers after handing over my old car, I think it was spooked by a shadow ( no, not Cliff Richard 🤣)

These things are not for drivers, they are to pave the way for driverless cars.

I get the noise and the red screen but will it brake for me if need be ? 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club