Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2006 Ford Focus Bonnet lock.

George. 1991

Hi.

Does anyone have a simple solution to open the bonnet up without using the key...?

I can no longer use my key to open the bonnet up.

Hope to hear from you guys soon.

Thank you.

If you want to maintain using your original key, you can do it fairly cheaply, this is what I did...

One word... Nice lol

Enjoyed the t-bar moment 😁

Hi Stephen.

Just a little update on my problem...

1. I now have a new plastic cross section and try it out inside the latch mech and the key barrel. My current key barrel is well used anyway.

2. My Dad has bought a new key barrel for me from eBay.

Just hope it will work out fine for me until it comes in the post. keeping my fingers crossed. 

George, if the 'key barrel' is the one that you can build yourself so you can use the original key, when you open the package it may seem a little daunting! There are about a million parts, but follow that YouTube video and you'll be fine. Work in plenty of space, no disturbance (like a young kitten that I had LOL),lay ALL the bits out carefully so everything is to hand (do NOT try and work from the packet of bits!) and with trial and error, you'll soon get through all the tumblers. All the more satisfying when done as it is fiddly! Best of luck...  (Oh, there is a bit in the video which the guy did wrong, and that was applying the eventual spring that holds it all together, but I'm sure you'll work it out!

• Like 1

dealers stock and sell a repair kit

if you have the bowden cable type of mechanism - don't bother trying anything its all mumbo jumbo - use the kit no problems ever again.. yes 45 quid is a rip off but the MOT boy trashing the bonnet trying to get it to pop will cost a lot more to fix

6 minutes ago, Botus said:

dealers stock and sell a repair kit

if you have the bowden cable type of mechanism - don't bother trying anything its all mumbo jumbo, use the kit no problems ever again.. yes 45 quid is a rip off but the MOT boy trashing the bonnet trying to get it to pop will cost a lot more to fix

Just curious. what costs £45? The kit (including new Bowden cable) to build up the lock tumbler is just over £20, this is the one I actually used when I repaired mine as illustrated on my previous post!

the whole kit I got genuine from ford was about £57 with a discount  !!!  

I'm sure it should sell for £25 and even more confident I could get some Chinese ***** not worth fittng for £18 on internet sites

Well, all I can say is that I'm delighted with the quality of the kit I got, feels heavy and rugged, straightforward to build, and I still have a 'one' key car...

Personally I'd spend the £50 doing a mk4 mondeo latch conversion then you never have to worry about it again.

15 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

Personally I'd spend the £50 doing a mk4 mondeo latch conversion then you never have to worry about it again.

sounds interesting got any info.....

putting it inside the car like a grown up would be a good idea - the agro of doing maintenance with the std joke is infuriating!!! not to mention the risk leaving the key to either get snapped off or stolen when you got to get some tools out of the garage, or wiping the rear screen at a garage forecourt (whilst checking the oil as well)

1 minute ago, Botus said:

sounds interesting got any info.....

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Botus said:

or wiping the rear screen at a garage forecourt (having done the oil)

How much mess are you making with an oil top up!? :unsure: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/19/2020 at 5:16 PM, StephenFord said:

George, if the 'key barrel' is the one that you can build yourself so you can use the original key, when you open the package it may seem a little daunting! There are about a million parts, but follow that YouTube video and you'll be fine. Work in plenty of space, no disturbance (like a young kitten that I had LOL),lay ALL the bits out carefully so everything is to hand (do NOT try and work from the packet of bits!) and with trial and error, you'll soon get through all the tumblers. All the more satisfying when done as it is fiddly! Best of luck...  (Oh, there is a bit in the video which the guy did wrong, and that was applying the eventual spring that holds it all together, but I'm sure you'll work it out!

Hi Stephen.

An other update.

Yeah thought about that when my new key barrel turned up earlier today in the post, my dad bought it for me anyway for just £24.95 from eBay. I decided to just fit the new key barrel system and use the key with it to open the bonnet and I have now solved my issue. Don't fancy messing with the key barrel pin slots thanks, sound like a pain in the *****!

I will keep my old barrel with me handy anyway as for spares. will it have any affect e.g. during a MOT? also my original key barrel somehow had 2 pins missing out of it after owning the hole car for nearly 10 years. hence replacing the small cross plastic bit, tried re-fitted it back into my car and the original key barrel no longer operate the latch properly!

jobs a gooden 😀

2 minutes ago, George. 1991 said:

Hi Stephen.

An other update.

Yeah thought about that when my new key barrel turned up earlier today in the post, my dad bought it for me anyway for just £24.95 from ebay. I decided to just fit the new key barrel system and use the key with it to open the bonnet and I have now solved my issue. Don't fancy messing with the key barrel pin slots thanks, sound like a pain in the *****!

I will keep my old barrel with me handy anyway as for spares. will it have any affect e.g. during a MOT? also my original key barrel somehow had 2 pins missing out of it after owning the hole car for nearly 10 years. hence replacing the small cross plastic bit, tried re-fitted it back into my car and the original key barrel no longer operate the latch properly!

jobs a gooden 😀

Shame you now have a 2 x key car, but still, at least you have a working bonnet lock. Your 'old' barrel will offer up very little in the way of spares. From memory, the barrel only has 8 out of 10 potential slots complete, that's the way I built the new one on mine. To be honest, it's a 'security' device that is overengineered anyway. Who the heck cares if someone can open the bonnet of a 15 year old car! At first, I was almost tempted just to bodge the whole thing and design access to have it opened with a long handled screwdriver!

Awful design, but glad you got it all sorted, oh, no issue whatsoever for future MOT's as long as they can open the bonnet and ensure your battery cradle hasn't rusted away LOL

• Like 1

I know 2 different keys. And yes SO stupid design!! 

I will have to get used to it for now. Just recently had an MOT done on my car, might be keeping the car for another year or just sell it to make some money out of it.

Nah my battery cradle is all good thanks lol  

I built the new barrel with no pins so technically any key or screwdriver will open the bonnet but the alarm will go off if the bonnet is lifted while armed.

Saves the hassle of knackering my old key with the force of the lock. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kevan9369 said:

I built the new barrel with no pins

So, technically you didn't 'build' anything LOL 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah I guess 😂. I had to put the lock assembly together and fit it, i still remember struggling to do it. eBay special came in about 1000 parts

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Kevan9369 said:

. Ebay special came in about 1000 parts

I know, all the more satisfying when you put it together, and your original key works the tumbler. 😁 Still, even with your 'blank' tumbler, it's not really a high security risk!

When I had replaced mines on the MK2 with the same I think having the separate key was better as you can have the engine running and open the bonnet unlike before. Otherwise it was open the bonnet first then back to starting it which was annoying. 

• Like 1

Just now, F0CUE said:

When I had replaced mines on the MK2 with the same I think having the separate key was better as you can have the engine running and open the bonnet unlike before. Otherwise it was open the bonnet first then back to starting it which was annoying. 

You know, that's really clever! Must admit, if mine goes again, I'll definitely consider replacing with a generic tumbler, and just storing the key behind front badge! 😀

Just now, F0CUE said:

Lol wouldn't leave the key behind the badge unless you want your engine stripped 😂 

OK, I'll tape it on the drivers foot well, you know, where every car manufacturer in the world puts their bonnet release lever! LOL

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club