Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Energy chat, the future of car propulsion

StephenFord

37 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

The only alternative to reducing vehicle numbers is to start bumping people off instead...

Now, isn't global warming meant to be doing that already??

15 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Now, isn't global warming meant to be doing that already??

No, that's Vladimir Putin!😀

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

The only alternative to reducing vehicle numbers is to start bumping people off instead...

It strikes me as very odd that the topic of overpopulation never even gets discussed at Cop 27 (or whatever we're up to now), likewise when shortages of housing, education, healthcare, etc, etc are mentioned.

Thomas Malthus raised the point at the end of the 18th century, but it seems to have gone quiet since then!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

It strikes me as very odd that the topic of overpopulation never even gets discussed...

I vividly remember being taught in primary school (in the 1960s) that the worlds population was 3 Billion, it is now almost 8 Billion - bound to make a difference in so many things but you're right, it appears our dirty petrol cars are the main issue, not the increase of 5 Billion folk in my lifetime LOL

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

I vividly remember being taught in primary school (in the 1960s) that the worlds population was 3 Billion, it is now almost 8 Billion - bound to make a difference in so many things but you're right, it appears our dirty petrol cars are the main issue, not the increase of 5 Billion folk in my lifetime LOL

I think the 3 billion figure was a guesstimate. Does China still have the law limiting families to one kid? They saw this overpopulation coming a long time before the rest of the planet. Obviously also gave us covid …. Every cloud 🧐 

1 minute ago, Alex.S said:

I think the 3 billion figure was a guesstimate... 

To be fair, the current figure of 8 Billion is also a 'guesstimate'...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

would still rather pay the money and sit in traffic (complaining about the traffic they're creating!)

But it really ISN'T me that creates the traffic congestion - it's everybody else.

When I drive home at midnight there's hardly any other cars on the road, but at peak times when I do the same journey, there's loads of them.  And I'm only driving one car in each case, so it must be all the OTHERS who are causing the traffic congestion.  QED.

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, alanfp said:

But it really ISN'T me that creates the traffic congestion - it's everybody else.

Ah, but to me you are part of "everybody else" so it is you!😀

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

To be fair, the current figure of 8 Billion is also a 'guesstimate'...

A tremendous change occurred with the industrial revolution: whereas it had taken all of human history until around 1800 for world population to reach one billion, the second billion was achieved in only 130 years (1930), the third billion in 30 years (1960), the fourth billion in 15 years (1974), and the fifth billion in only 13 years (1987).

• Like 1

On 11/10/2022 at 5:48 PM, YOG said:

A tremendous change occurred with the industrial revolution: whereas it had taken all of human history until around 1800 for world population to reach one billion, the second billion was achieved in only 130 years (1930), the third billion in 30 years (1960), the fourth billion in 15 years (1974), and the fifth billion in only 13 years (1987).

So what we really need is something like a virus or a bubonic plague that is cleverly developed in a laboratory that can wipe out all the Plebs, Peasants, Riff-Raff, BMW owners,and the general working class, and leave untouched the great world leaders and the millionaires !!!

I'm surprised that super powers aren't working on such a thing right now, perhaps using techniques like Gain of Function. If only they could figure out how to eliminate undesirable people and just leave the world to the elite few it would be a much better place.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, unofix said:

So what we really need is something like a virus or a bubonic plague that is cleverly developed in a laboratory that can wipe out all the Plebs, Peasants, Riff-Raff, and the general working class...

Is it possible to include BMW owners in that?? :laughing:

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Is it possible to include BMW owners in that??

Consider it done 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On our long running "told you so" theme, it seems that Rishi and Jeremy's latest wheeze to fill the "Black Hole" (always sounds like a sci-fi movie to me) is to introduce road tax for EVs.

• Like 2

Just now, Eric Bloodaxe said:

On our long running "told you so" theme, it seems that Rishi and Jeremy's latest wheeze to fill the "Black Hole" (always sounds like a sci-fi movie to me) is to introduce road tax for EVs.

Really?? No... say it isn't so. Who would have seen that coming?? :laughing:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

is to introduce road tax for EVs.

Golly gosh !!

I'm shocked that such a thing could be considered 🤣

I'm guessing on an EV it will have to be a 'flat' rate 🤣

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Really?? No... say it isn't so. Who would have seen that coming?? :laughing:

Joking aside we've all been well aware they will need to fill the tax gap left in fuel duty. We just don't know yet how they will do it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mjt said:

Joking aside we've all been well aware they will need to fill the tax gap left in fuel duty. We just don't know yet how they will do it.

Well, here's a guess. They'll introduce road tax as stated, and will also put a tax on electricity at all public charging stations, and work out a way to tax private chargers too...

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

What a shock, are these politicians wired up properly or are they just plugging for votes ?

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

and work out a way to tax private chargers too...

Like if your house had a "Smart" meter !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Quite! I decided to resist the constant attempts by my provider to install a smart meter when I discovered that would allow them to disconnect me remotely at the click of a mouse button.

Last week BBC Watchdog reported some companies have been breaking the rules by moving customers onto pre-payment tariffs without telling them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, unofix said:

Like if your house had a "Smart" meter !

My 30 year old home has one of those old fashioned electricity meters with the 'spinning' wheels. They wanted to upgrade me last year to a new LCD panel one. (Not  'smart'). I refused, and got me removed from their 'upgrade' list purely on the grounds that there is absolutely nothing wrong with my meter, and the LCD one will likely fail in a decade - what on earth is wrong with this world we live in with a voracious appetite to to replace things, throwing the old in the bin for no good reason??

(Oh, the new improved LCD screen is not backlit, and you'd need a magnifying glass to read it!)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, StephenFord said:

old fashioned electricity meters with the 'spinning' wheels.

Lol, "past life flashing by" time again! Used to buy thousands of those when I was in the industry. They're known as Ferranti disc type meters, even if not actually made by Ferranti. It became a generic term for disc type meters, in a similar way to "Hoover" for vacs.

The Ferranti company originally founded by Sebastian de Ferranti over 100 years ago still exists as the Denis Ferranti Group, headquartered in Bangor (Wales, not NI).

They were very reliable and all the old electricity boards used to have workshops to refurbish them when they reached the statutory recertification point (or - particularly prepayment ones - were broken into or vandalised) so could last indefinitely in theory.

The modern digital ones are of course cheaper and just get replaced when they fail. Hopefully valuable components still get reused - there are various recycling companies that do this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As fully expected, today's government statement confirmed that EV cars will be paying road tax from 2025. Folk would be totally naive to not expect additional tax to be introduced on the electricity that fuels them. Just like a true drug dealer, offering the 1st batch free, until you're hooked, and will then pay whatever the going rate is.

Over 20 years ago, a Labour government did exactly the same promoting the fuel of the future, diesel, stating it would save the planet, offering huge subsidies on new diesel cars, and the fuel then was virtually half the price of petrol. Well, you all know what happened after...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

just for you Stephen...........

I told you so !!! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club