Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Energy chat, the future of car propulsion

StephenFord
聽Share

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

Just like a true drug dealer, offering the 1st batch free, until you're hooked, and will then pay whatever the going rate is.

What with @unofix mentioning using drug dealers scales, and now this, I'm getting worried about how you guys seem to know so much about it!馃榾

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I'm getting worried about how you guys seem to know so much about it!

are you in the market to buy ? We can put you in touch with your local agent 馃槈 Strictly cash only, you understand 馃ぃ

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, unofix said:

...Strictly cash only, you understand 馃ぃ

Hey, I thought we'd agreed to also take crypto? LOL

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, unofix said:

are you in the market to buy ?

Thanks for the offer but I prefer to shop local if I can. I'm reliably informed that there is in fact a dealer operating in my village (which I thought was the very paragon of respectability) and all you need to do is turn up in the shopping centre car park very late at night, and he will make contact!

8 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Thanks for the offer but I prefer to shop local if I can. I'm reliably informed that there is in fact a dealer operating in my village (which I thought was the very paragon of respectability) and all you need to do is turn up in the shopping centre car park very late at night, and he will make contact!

Yep, his name is Bronco, and he's on our payroll - we take 60%聽:laughing:聽Mention unofix by name,and you'll get the good stuff!

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Yep, his name is Bronco

I guess he'll be supplying horse, then?馃榾

7 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I guess he'll be supplying horse, then?馃榾

Nay...

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, unofix said:

are you in the market to buy ? We can put you in touch with your local agent 馃槈 Strictly cash only, you understand 馃ぃ

Any way you! Shouldn't you be with me on the motorway by now you trouble maker!!

• Haha 2

Oh yes !!

Just remembered the AH. I do hope his car falls to bits 馃ぃ

2 minutes ago, unofix said:

Oh yes !!

Just remembered the AH. I do hope his car falls to bits 馃ぃ

Yeah, I see admin had to modify his comments. Not seem him since.聽

7 minutes ago, iantt said:

Yeah, I see admin had to modify his comments. Not seem him since.聽

Am I missing somethinbg?

32 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Am I missing somethinbg?

Yes, but on another thread. 馃ぃ馃ぃ

• 3 weeks later...

No gritters required on that hot section of motorway. Could have been stuck brakes on the transporter or one of the cars catching fire. Those damn british built electric cars again.聽

Screenshot_20221207-184903.png

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

I note with some amusement reports in the media to the effect that the British Parking Association are raising concerns about possible future collapses of multi storey car parks, due to the weight of battery electric cars. They are calling for structural inspections and strengthening where necessary.

The gist was that most parks were designed to standards based on typical cars of the mid 1970's, whereas BEVs are typically 50-100% heavier.

They mention by way of example a Tesla Model 3 weighing 2.2 tonnes versus a Cortina Mk 3 at 1.4 tonnes so more than 50% heavier. Afaik those are Gross Vehicle Weights, though, I think the unladen weight of the Model 3 is around 1.9 tonnes while the Cortina Mk 3 was under 1.0 tonnes unladen in some versions, so almost 100% difference on that basis.

Whatever, another example of the potential need for yet more infrastructure spending to accommodate the switch to EVs.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

The gist was that most parks were designed to standards based on typical cars of the mid 1970's, whereas BEVs are typically 50-100% heavier.

In the same way as the actual width of parking bays. The Cortina was 5.4ft wide, whilst a humongous SUV is often about 6.5ft, which is why they often suck up 2 x parking spaces!

• Like 2

It's not just 4x4 and SUVs there is an issue with all cars getting bigger , if you compare a 1960s mini with a 2022 mini the new ones are much larger, but our roads and parking space are the same size as in 1960. My first car in 1977/8 was a mini van, and later I had a Mk1 MR2 both I could get up our very tight drive into the garage, my current car a Ford Focus there is absolutely no chance, it's just too wide.

1960 mini L x W x H 3.05m x 1.41m x 1.35m

2022 mini L x W x H: 3.86m x 1.72m x 1.41 m

• Like 4

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

In the same way as the actual width of parking bays.聽

Yes, that factor was also reported in some of the articles I've seen. So any future multi storey parks will need to be built stronger and with less spaces per given floor area

Of course, the size (and weight) thing is not just confined to EVs these days. I was just reading the letters page in my Sunday paper in which a reader was taking them to task for referring to a Nissan Qashquai as a "little car" last week. He pointed out that the average driver weighs around 70kg, whereas the Qashquai is around 1400kg. So, for every 拢1 spent moving the driver, it costs 拢20 to move the car!馃榾

7 minutes ago, Mark-UK said:

It's not just 4x4 and SUVs there is an issue with all cars getting bigger

And, of course, the door mirrors are also a problem. I think the current MINI for example is about 1.93m wide over mirrors.

Like you, I have a pretty small garage and the final approach is narrow also. So with many cars now, I could drive in with the mirrors folded, but then couldn't unfold them to help reversing out. In some cases I can drive in but can't open the doors to get out of the car.

So our garage is only used now to accommodate my Mrs's Seat Mii, and even that is a bit tight as the mirrors are quite wide and don't fold.聽

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

So our garage is only used now to accommodate my Mrs's Seat Mii, and even that is a bit tight as the mirrors are quite wide and don't fold.聽

I'm curious, has 'building code' caught up yet so that all new internal/detached domestic garages are built to accommodate new sized cars along with a built in charge for EV?

1 hour ago, Mark-UK said:

It's not just 4x4 and SUVs there is an issue with all cars getting bigger , if you compare a 1960s mini with a 2022 mini the new ones are much larger, but our roads and parking space are the same size as in 1960. My first car in 1977/8 was a mini van, and later I had a Mk1 MR2 both I could get up our very tight drive into the garage, my current car a Ford Focus there is absolutely no chance, it's just too wide.

1960 mini L x W x H 3.05m x 1.41m x 1.35m

2022 mini L x W x H: 3.86m x 1.72m x 1.41 m

My first car was a minivan too . 'm' reg.聽

No garage newbuild or otherwise can accommodate even the smallest of new聽 cars. I just about managed to get my triumph vitesse in My garage . That was a very tight squeeze sliding out of the car through the passenger door.聽

I've had a Primera and a Focus in a new build garage obviously not at the same time and still had room for the wine rackings in both properties.聽

Our current house has had the garage converted to more living space by the previous owners so can't say whether the mk4 would fit.

It鈥檚 not right to ban the gasoline and diesel vehicles. I see an economic disaster on the horizon, for many people who don鈥檛 have the need for a lot of driving range and have the means to afford an electric vehicle that is fine for them.聽
many people are not able to afford a EV and would find it unsuitable for their purposes.

it strikes me that they are really more intending to restrict people from moving freely. Don鈥檛 anyone kid themselves that the powers that be won鈥檛 have the capability to limit the number of times you can recharge per week. It will be very easy to control your range well within an already very restricted radius of your home and workplace.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Scottman said:

It鈥檚 not right to ban the gasoline and diesel vehicles. I see an economic disaster on the horizon, for many people who don鈥檛 have the need for a lot of driving range and have the means to afford an electric vehicle that is fine for them.聽
many people are not able to afford a EV and would find it unsuitable for their purposes.

it strikes me that they are really more intending to restrict people from moving freely. Don鈥檛 anyone kid themselves that the powers that be won鈥檛 have the capability to limit the number of times you can recharge per week. It will be very easy to control your range well within an already very restricted radius of your home and workplace.

mmm... an interesting point of view. The bloke that started this thread should have thought of that聽:laughing:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club