Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Energy chat, the future of car propulsion

StephenFord

Just out today, "Electric cars cost MORE than petrol for long journeys admits RAC..."

I'm curious how long it will take our government to realise they have made a humongous pile of do-do over their EV car policy... With just over 350 weeks to go before total calamity, they need to wise up pretty soon. Though, with their sterling job over Covid lockdown, I have every confidence :laughing:

https://www.gbnews.uk/travel/electric-cars-cost-more-than-petrol-for-long-journeys-admits-rac/421256

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Just out today, "Electric cars cost MORE than petrol for long journeys admits RAC..."

Lol. Thought you'd jump on that one!😀 Story seems to be spreading like a rash through the media/press now - it was in yesterday's Daily Mail  and saw it in the i today.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

With just over 350 weeks to go before total calamity,

It's like being stranded in the middle of a railway track with an express train coming. You know it's going to hurt  but there's no one listening to your cries for help !

The UK needs at least 10 million additional charging points, that's including both public and home charging before 2032. So as Stephen has pointed out there are only 350 weeks to 'EV' day which means that we need to install approx 28,000 chargers per week to be ready.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, unofix said:

The UK needs at least 10 million additional charging points

They've just installed 2 at a filling station near me, so only 9,999,998 to go!😀

• Haha 3

I wonder at what point the Government will upgrade the "Grid" power cuts have been mentioned this year due to the demand so what's the plan regarding upgrading the Grid to cope.......oh, there isn't one 🙈

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Wino said:

I wonder at what point the Government ...

I'm actually waiting for the government to announce that they are extending the EV cut off to 2035, but they'll announce it in 2026 when all the car manufacturers will tell them, too late, ICE manufacture has now ceased :laughing:

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

but they'll announce it in 2026 when all the car manufacturers will tell them, too late, ICE manufacture has now ceased 

It's pretty much unstoppable now anyway, sadly. If what I've seen of Euro 7 proposals are adopted, that plus the GSR2 safety regs will make production of many ICE cars (particularly ones normal people can afford) completely uneconomic irrespective of the sales ban.

It's not as if much is being done to support public transport as an alternative, either. Informed on the local news yesterday that 80 bus routes in my area (North Yorkshire) are facing the chop. 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

the chop. 

Pork or Lamb...........decisions decisions 🤔

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Wino said:

Pork or Lamb...........decisions decisions 🤔

But this is a serious matter, David. One of the routes threatened is the Yorkshire Coastliner to Whitby which stops right outside my door. Without being able to use my Senior Pass to get there for nowt, it means I'll have to spend money on petrol to get to my favourite fish and chip place in Whitby!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Herewith an interview of Howard Cox, founder of FairFuelUK.  Agitation in the press seems to be mounting.  Apparently this is the year the decision needs to be reversed/delayed if we are to avoid an almighty ballsup in 2030.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Linds said:

Herewith an interview of Howard Cox, founder of FairFuelUK.  Agitation in the press seems to be mounting.  Apparently this is the year the decision needs to be reversed/delayed if we are to avoid an almighty ballsup in 2030.

I'm a huge fan of Howard Cox (and TalkTV), and get email updates from FairFuel UK. Howard is articulate & knowledgeable. He actually owns an EV but like many of us, is 100% against the government mandating the discontinuation of proper cars!

30 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

But this is a serious matter, David. One of the routes threatened is the Yorkshire Coastliner to Whitby which stops right outside my door. Without being able to use my Senior Pass to get there for nowt, it means I'll have to spend money on petrol to get to my favourite fish and chip PLAICE in Whitby!

Corrected the spelling mistake 😉

I feel your pain, can't you get it delivered ? 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Wino said:

Corrected the spelling mistake 😉

I'm more of a haddock man actually!

Talking plays on words, I do like the fishmonger we often see when up in the Dales - his stall is called "In Cod we trust".

9 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Talking plays on words, I do like the fishmonger we often see when up in the Dales - his stall is called "In Cod we trust".

We have something similar LOL

cod.jpg.e4be4e8f7ea8f22cb08b469c61c7620d.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Un official government policy is to reduce the number of car journeys by a massive amount. All journeys under 10 miles (ca. 16 km) should be either pedal or public transport. An increase in cycling and walking will also increase a nations' fitness levels, something governments have been chasing for years.

Make electric vehicles too expensive for the majority and make it too expensive to maintain a 2nd hand electric vehicle by needing to replace the batteries every 5/7 years, currently in the region of £6k and up. These prices will increase dramatically as the resources needed for the batteries is diminished.

Anyone thinking that electric vehicles will just be the replacement for the current way we drive is off with the fairies!

The infrastructure to maintain electric vehicles is a joke, majority are either are out of service, don't actually exist on the apps that promote the charging service or offer a non-compatible connection. Tesla, seeming to be the only service that actually maintains their charging network to a decent standard.

Charging points aren't being installed in garages at any decent rate, and the chemicals required for a battery pack are of limited supply, unless they develop a battery made of seawater and tears!!

Road maintenance and development has ground to a halt. The state of the roads is directly related to making travelling as stressful as possible and decrease the amount of journeys we all make. Hands up, whose had to replace a tyre/wheel in the last 12 months due to damage caused by poor road maintenance, i know of 3 personally. You would have thought the insurance industry would be trying to lobby the government to reduce the claims they keep getting!!! Seems to be all quiet on the insurance front!!

Better get used to cycling and public transport.

RANT OVER!!! Now, where are those bicycle clips...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, VFR800 said:

Un official government policy is to reduce the number of car journeys by a massive amount...

I'm afraid you are imbuing our government in employing an enormous conspiracy in having an intricate plan to decrease car journeys in the UK. That would involve massive planning, co-ordination between many different departments, negotiations with numerous private suppliers etc etc. The answer I fear is so much simpler. Incompetence! Governments can't plan/initiate any large scale projects. Their failure to do so has been demonstrated numerous times over decades (no matter what flavour government you have). 

Most recently, and under investigation, is the last 3 years of handling Covid where one prominent example is 'track & trace' which squandered £37 Billion on a system that not only never worked, but was never needed in the first place.(I'm leaving Scotch eggs, and mask wearing out of it LOL)

Nope, much as you may think that government is planning meticulously the destruction of personal transport in this country, I'm afraid it's all down to simple incompetence, which they are an absolute expert in... 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, VFR800 said:

Better get used to cycling and public transport.

Errr........

18 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Informed on the local news yesterday that 80 bus routes in my area (North Yorkshire) are facing the chop.

Looks like it'll have to be the bike then.....😀

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

Governments can't plan/initiate any large scale projects.

My Mrs used to train newly appointed or potential first line managers. One of her favourite phrases was "failing to plan is planning to fail".😀

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

My Mrs used to train newly appointed or potential first line managers. One of her favourite phrases was "failing to plan is planning to fail".😀

Yep, same ethos as 'Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst...' LOL

• Like 2

"Electric car makers put the brakes on UK production because many drivers think the vehicles are too expensive..." and the saga continues...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11621267/Electric-car-makers-brakes-UK-production-drivers-think-vehicles-expensive.html

3 hours ago, StephenFord said:

"Electric car makers put the brakes on UK production because many drivers think the vehicles are too expensive..." and the saga continues...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11621267/Electric-car-makers-brakes-UK-production-drivers-think-vehicles-expensive.html

I read an article the other day that it's now more expensive to run an electric car than an ICE variant......wether that's correct I dunno tbh.

3 minutes ago, Wino said:

I read an article the other day that it's now more expensive to run an electric car than an ICE variant......wether that's correct I dunno tbh.

Look to 1st post on this very page LOL :biggrin:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Wino said:

The EV supporters in the various articles mentioned still maintained it wasn't, provided you were fortunate enough to be able to do the bulk of your charging on a rapid charger at home with a favourable tariff. The more charging you need to do away from home (or workplace, if you can charge there), the more the advantage disappeared.

That's purely energy of course, they didn't factor in capital or leasing costs, or the opportunity cost of the extra money you spent on the EV, etc. We don't really know yet how depreciation will pan out long term, whether some of the horror stories we see about big bills for replacing things like inverters or batteries will be rare or common, etc, etc. 

in short, I think its a bit early to be making definitive statements either way and we should slow the pace of jumping into EVs with both feet until things are clearer. But as said earlier in the thread, it may already be too late...........

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

The EV supporters in the various articles mentioned still maintained it wasn't...

We also need to recognise that governments own figures state that 19% of car owners will not have access to any type of home charging (those that live in flats/apartments/no off street or on street access etc). With 37 Million cars that is potentially 7 Million cars reliant on 'public' charging. The whole thing is an entirely foreseeable disaster, no matter what the individual cost is...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

With 37 Million cars that is potentially 7 Million cars reliant on 'public' charging. The whole thing is an entirely foreseeable disaster, no matter what the individual cost is...

Quite so. Of course, science and technology do bring about changes not always forseen, and perhaps someone may come up with a 100kwh battery the size of a button cell that can be charged in 5 minutes to give 750 miles of range.

Excuse me, I think I just saw a unicorn walking past.....   

• Haha 2