Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Energy chat, the future of car propulsion

StephenFord

That the Elites would elevate and use an emotionally disturbed child as their shill and agitprop. I find ironic.She is a good little tool. Too bad that the causes she champions are fraudulent at least and a massive scam at most.

Polar bears aren’t starving. CO2 isn’t a poisonous gas and the earth isn’t on fire. I could say more. But, I’m hungry and am about to eat a sandwich made from cow fhart producers.

• Like 2

I have to say what happened during the pandemic has made me really cynical about this nett zero agenda. The similarities between what happened during Covid (i.e. the unprecedented general suppression policy)and the current Nett Zero dogma are startling, think about it :

We have a load of "experts", most of whom (certainly those on the Main Stream Media and those listened to by the government) are telling us how bad things could be (the implication being how bad things will be). 
Exactly the same as what happened during Covid.

Scientists are by their very nature over cautious.

The scientists are not really that bothered about the effects of their recommended policies on the economy, and even less bothered about the effects on people's personal freedoms.

We have a government saying "we will be led by the science" so they can abdicate responsibility for making any serious decisions (even though the science is not certain, particularly as to the long term effects of rising CO2 concentrations and indeed how much, if anything, we can do about it).

We have all of the MSM talking like climate change is a certainty and that Nett Zero is required with the implied assumption it will work. They also imply that anyone who disagrees with it is an unthinking crank.

All major political parties have more or less the same policy on Nett Zero, there is no option to vote against it.

They, the government and the MSM as well as the scientists, more or less ignore the massive cost (social as well as financial) of their nett zero policy. It's a case of whatever it costs, it does not matter, we will do it : TINA (there is no alternative).

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Justin Smith said:

All major political parties have more or less the same policy on Nett Zero, there is no option to vote against it.

For the 1st time in my life, I spoiled my vote last election for that very reason...

1115056390_spoiledvoteMay2022.thumb.jpg.fb24b527565573a2426b9ab69000f17f.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

For the 1st time in my life, I spoiled my vote last election for that very reason...

1115056390_spoiledvoteMay2022.thumb.jpg.fb24b527565573a2426b9ab69000f17f.jpg

Spoiling one's vote is a legitimate protest, more peopel shodul do so,

And, all election results, locally and nationally, should report how many spolit ballots there are in exactly the same way they report how many votes there are for all the other parties.

• Like 2

Nett Zero zealots are totally inconsistent anyway, either that or they're completely divorced from reality. A MASSIVE dose of pragmatism woudl do them a world of good. :

1 - The most environmentally friendly form of transport is the electrfied railway. So, far from protesting against HS2 they should be 'effing volunteering on it for free.

2 - The most reliable form of green energy is tidal power, but they're against it "because of the wading birds habitat".
I thought they said it was a climate emergency ? ! ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Science is never “settled “. Government is not a nimble beast. It’s slow to react and even slower to correct when it gets something wrong. 
The whole Net Zero theory really means “Zero” for the citizens and the “Net” goes to government and Elites. 
I am unaware of any Nation that has anywhere near the electrical generation capacity to deal with the number of plug in electric vehicles that they have mandated. The grid in America is barely able to handle the demand for air conditioners in July thru August as it is now! I see no discussion about how or when the grid is going to be updated to serve an electric vehicle fleet of even just 20 percent of the total! All the talk is about more charging stations, not system capacity. I will just hold onto my Fiesta’s.

• Thanks 4

5 hours ago, Justin Smith said:

Spoiling one's vote is a legitimate protest, more peopel shodul do so,

Yes, it would be a good idea imo. I've never failed to vote in any election since I was 18, but it's increasingly become a matter of "least worst option" so I may be following Stephen's example.

It would be better still if we had a "none of the above" option at the bottom, though on reflection "none of the above" might get in by a landslide!😃

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck always do quite well in American Elections through the write in” ballot !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Looks like part of Europe/EU are wanting to back-track on the total banning of petrol/ICE cars.

SIX EUROPEAN MEMBER STATES SET TO BACK-TRACK ON PETROL BAN!

https://www.visordown.com/news/industry/six-european-member-states-set-back-track-petrol-ban

EU plans for efuel cars to dodge 2035 combustion engine ban.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/sustainability/359841/eu-plans-efuel-cars-dodge-2035-combustion-engine-ban?amp

9 minutes ago, YOG said:

Looks like part of Europe/EU are wanting to back-track on the total banning of petrol/ICE cars.

Too little and much too late 🙁

Car manufactures around the world have already stopped developing new petrol and diesel cars. Many have already closed and decommissioned manufacturing plants. The skills needed to design develop and build petrol and diesel cars is already decreasing at quite an alarming rate.

By the time the idiots wake up and realise just what they've done it will be far too late to undo the damage.

On a plus side i expect my 2019 DIESEL Focus to be worth around £50,000 maybe more by 2030 👍 🎉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, unofix said:

Too little and much too late 🙁

Car manufactures around the world have already stopped developing new petrol and diesel cars. Many have already closed and decommissioned manufacturing plants. The skills needed to design develop and build petrol and diesel cars is already decreasing at quite an alarming rate.

By the time the idiots wake up and realise just what they've done it will be far too late to undo the damage.

On a plus side i expect my 2019 DIESEL Focus to be worth around £50,000 maybe more by 2030 👍 🎉

Our pact of publishing a joint, "I told you so...' is looking ever more likely! 😁

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, unofix said:

🙁

You seriously expect your focus to still be a runner in 7 years time? That's optimism for you 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

At the rate the elite idiots are shutting down electrical generation plants that actually supply reliable power, we will all be struggling to get half a charge into our tiny, limited range EV crapbox so we can do only the most critical errands. I don’t know how you fellows in the UK feel about it. But, it sounds like a dystopian nightmare to me.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Scottman said:

we will all be struggling to get half a charge into our tiny, limited range EV crapbox 

You'd be struggling anyway in most parts of the UK outside London and the South East. Lack of public chargers is the obvious issue, but even if you could find one the plethora of payment methods (RFID cards, apps, etc) is the next problem.

In 2019 the UK Government stated they "expect" all new public chargers to accept contactless payment by debit/credit card by 2020. Whenever I spot a new EV charger I have a look at the payment method out of curiosity (sad, I know) and It's now 2023 and apps/RFID still predominate.

The placement of these things is also odd. My nearest big council has had chargers installed in its Park and Ride sites, which seems sensible as cars will be left for long enough for a charge.

What I don't understand is putting them in "normal" filling stations. There are 2 fairly near me which have recently had chargers installed, but what do you do in a filling station with no other facilities for 40 minutes? The P & R and other car parks and  supermarkets/big shopping centres seem far more logical.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

You'd be struggling anyway in most parts of the UK outside London and the South East. Lack of public chargers is the obvious issue, but even if you could find one the plethora of payment methods (RFID cards, apps, etc) is the next problem.

In 2019 the UK Government stated they "expect" all new public chargers to accept contactless payment by debit/credit card by 2020. Whenever I spot a new EV charger I have a look at the payment method out of curiosity (sad, I know) and It's now 2023 and apps/RFID still predominate.

The placement of these things is also odd. My nearest big council has had chargers installed in its Park and Ride sites, which seems sensible as cars will be left for long enough for a charge.

What I don't understand is putting them in "normal" filling stations. There are 2 fairly near me which have recently had chargers installed, but what do you do in a filling station with no other facilities for 40 minutes? The P & R and other car parks and  supermarkets/big shopping centres seem far more logical.

Have you noticed too that when you fill up with petrol/diesel, you have a nice canopy over you to stop you getting soaked in the rain. Many EV chargers are just located in the open exposed to all elements 🤣 That'll be to immerse you in the natural elements!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, Scottman said:

I am unaware of any Nation that has anywhere near the electrical generation capacity to deal with the number of plug in electric vehicles that they have mandated. 

I am pretty certain I saw in the lead-in to this winter that the Swiss were warning electric vehicle drivers that they may find at times they are only allowed to use their vehicles for "essential journeys" (I'm sure this was the term used but cannot recall the definition).  Switzerland relies on hydro-electricity to a significant extent ... they were concerned that if it didn't snow enough this would give rise to substantial energy shortages.

I guess in our case if the wind doesn't blow we'll have to stay at home.  So this is progress!

8 minutes ago, Linds said:

I guess in our case if the wind doesn't blow we'll have to stay at home.  So this is progress!

I'm pretty sure that if you wear a mask, you'll be allowed to drive 🤣

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

Have you noticed too that when you fill up with petrol/diesel, you have a nice canopy over you to stop you getting soaked in the rain. Many EV chargers are just located in the open exposed to all elements 🤣

Funnily enough, one of the new installations I mentioned is exactly like that. Petrol/diesel pumps under a nice big canopy, bank of 5 chargers out in the rain. Hope they are fully waterproof.

• Haha 2

In Ann Arbor, where I work, the largest supermarket chain stores have Tesla superchargers and several non Tesla/ lower voltage public chargers. 
It’s quite interesting to see the cars waiting for charging availability. Six superchargers occupied and five or more waiting to connect! That’s just how I want to spend time! Waiting around forty minutes or more to get my turn to charge my car up! Or, I can walk a couple of blocks in the rain or snow to get on a bus. I guess that a stop and go crawl on public transit is an incremental improvement from sitting in a nearly depleted EV for an hour.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Funnily enough, one of the new installations I mentioned is exactly like that. Petrol/diesel pumps under a nice big canopy, bank of 5 chargers out in the rain. Hope they are fully waterproof

Nothing quite as exciting as plugging in 240vac with wet hands. :shocking:

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, Scottman said:

In Ann Arbor, where I work...

Cool! My uncle, pre retirement was a senior research scientist with GM, and I visited him many times over decades. I'm pretty sure the supermarket you speak of is Walmart?

Mejier. A west Michigan based grocery and general merchandise chain that is very popular in Michigan, Ohio and Indiana. I will post a few images of the chargers and the other cars waiting for their turn in this reply soon. Many people waiting is very common! And we are not anywhere near a majority of EV vehicles in the region!

• Like 2

On 3/23/2023 at 10:49 PM, Scottman said:

Mejier. A west Michigan based grocery and general merchandise chain that is very popular in Michigan..

I know it well! I still use a bottle of their branded optical cleaner for my glasses, of course it's been refilled 100s of time since original purchase, but it's a very handy size! 😁

IMG_20230329_083128_9.thumb.jpg.8253051d325c5dc4cc5352414909281c.jpg

13 hours ago, Scottman said:

That’s just how I want to spend time! Waiting around forty minutes or more to get my turn to charge my car up!

I can see the time coming where a bank of EV chargers will have an attendant and you can drop your keys with them to save you waiting in line for your turn. When your car is charged, they park it and text you it's ready. Hopefully, it should only add a couple of quid onto the bill for this sort of service.

Or for low milage drivers, how about a weekly service where someone picks up your car from home, takes it to a charger and returns it, once charged, later on in the day.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, mjt said:

Nothing quite as exciting as plugging in 240vac with wet hands. :shocking:

400v and DC more like, or even 800v dc

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club