Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Energy chat, the future of car propulsion

StephenFord

1 minute ago, Scottman said:

Biden just announced, by recorded video, that he is going to campaign for the Presidency again...

Yes, much better than that other youngster in the race, Trump LOL Honestly, out of a population of 350 million, amazing to think these 2 guys are the best in the race :biggrin:

Though to be fair, we have relatively young candidates for the top job, and age is no reflection on skill!

I nominate Homer J Simpson for President. At least he knows all about a nuclear power stations 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You couldn't make it up...LOL

I have only been made aware of this incident which happened last week. Eco nutters in the thought they were interrupting an F1 race, accidentally protested at a Formula E race in Germany! They may as well held a picket line outside a Tesla factory. 

Just shows how stupid these people are, and they are interested primarily in anarchy, rather than any concern over 'eco' issues.

Watch the morons here...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

You couldn't make it up...LOL

I have only been made aware of this incident which happened last week. Eco nutters in the thought they were interrupting an F1 race, accidentally protested at a Formula E race in Germany! They may as well held a picket line outside a Tesla factory. 

Just shows how stupid these people are, and they are interested primarily in anarchy, rather than any concern over 'eco' issues.

Watch the morons here...

They didn’t accidentally protest the race, they didn’t think it was F1 either, the group were interrupting a lot of events that weekend to get their point across to the German government, did it work? Doubt it. 

• Like 3

There was one over here interrupting a snooker game last week.  They know these things are broadcast live so they will be seen on TV.  It doesn't actually matter what the event is.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MarksST said:

...did it work? Doubt it. 

You're probably right, only the friends & family of the drivers watch Formula E! It's an atrocious sport which could easily be eclipsed if Dyson started their own vacuum cleaner racing series :biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Talking Americans…….

1BF1B1F7-1278-4FAA-B471-E09DE33E5F8E.png

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

Talking Americans…….

1BF1B1F7-1278-4FAA-B471-E09DE33E5F8E.png

I've had job cards like that in the past. Vibration at 85- 90mph. Ok, I shall need more than a tank of fuel to get to the local autobahn to test that out . 

• Haha 3

Vehicle fire - shopping center Belfast

This center has been opened 26 years, and interested to note that the 1st ever vehicle fire is an EV. It was parked in the underground car park, where there are no charging stations, so obviously some kind of catastrophic failure. Thankfully, no one hurt. 

1283326139_EVfire.thumb.jpg.a66704c5e1a2a561d365ad35977b155c.jpg

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

and interested to note that the 1st ever vehicle fire is an EV.

Just typical of an EV they always want to the first at everything 🤣

• Haha 3

Done 410 miles , With some free electric at accomodation it cost me £7.55 in total. And it didn't catch fire. Bonus!!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

Vehicle fire - shopping center Belfast

This center has been opened 26 years, and interested to note that the 1st ever vehicle fire is an EV. It was parked in the underground car park, where there are no charging stations, so obviously some kind of catastrophic failure. Thankfully, no one hurt. 

1283326139_EVfire.thumb.jpg.a66704c5e1a2a561d365ad35977b155c.jpg

In that report the type of car isn’t mentioned, it’s not mentioned in other reports either, any link to where it does say which car caught fire?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MarksST said:

In that report the type of car isn’t mentioned, it’s not mentioned in other reports either, any link to where it does say which car caught fire?

My partner works there, she was amongst the staff evacuated...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

My partner works there...

Oh ok, odd that there’s no mention of any details of the car, people are usually quick to get on to local news with details.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MarksST said:

Oh ok, odd that there’s no mention of any details of the car, people are usually quick to get on to local news with details.

Local news media will “filter out” all of the “mis information” and make an informed and approved report of what happened. 
a few years ago there was a guy from a certain region of the world that was practicing his jihad skills in a public recreational area  near Dearborn with a semi automatic weapon.The Detroit free press did an initial report and within twelve hours of the “altercation with police”, the story completely disappeared from the newspaper website! So, I wouldn’t be surprised if that car fire never happened at all.

must have been some kind of mass hysteria. Save the polar bears!

• Like 1

So it may not have been an ev. Or we would  have had another post saying the fire was still going a week later as you cant extinguish an ev battery. Or may have been an ev with an unrelated electrical fire like any other fuel type can have. Mate had a fire in his Audi diesel  that started in the fusebox . Nothing left of the car to put out by the time the fire brigade arrived. Damn diesel cars!!! 🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, iantt said:

So it may not have been an ev. Or we would  have had another post saying the fire was still going a week later as you cant extinguish an ev battery. Or may have been an ev with an unrelated electrical fire like any other fuel type can have. Mate had a fire in his Audi diesel  that started in the fusebox . Nothing left of the car to put out by the time the fire brigade arrived. Damn diesel cars!!! 🤣🤣

Yep, I watched a Golf GTD catch fire last month.  Was amazed how quickly it went from a little smoke to flames everywhere! :unsure:

But as this is the EV thread, we have to expect the confirmation bias to continue... :laugh: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

But as this is the EV thread, we have to expect the confirmation bias to continue... :laugh: 

Just out of interest , is there anyone on this forum apart from me who has actually road tested an ev ? Just curious? 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, iantt said:

Just out of interest , is there anyone on this forum apart from me who has actually road tested an ev ? Just curious? 

That's a good point. However, the driving experience isn't an issue for me. I know they're fast, instant access to torque, with unlimited gadgetry. I simply object to the ethos of EVs, in claiming to be green, the mass production of 1000Kg Lithium Ion batteries is not green. They're 30% heavier than ICE cars, so will impact our already poor roads, bridges, multi story car parks. And of course, they are powered by electric. We just don't have enough.

If consumers had a choice of what to buy in the future, I'd have no issue whatsoever with them, anyone that wanted an EV should be able to buy them, but to legislate that ICE cars should be legally banned from production is just wrong.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iantt said:

I've tried Toyota and Honda hybrids as you know. I'm assuming the experience is pretty similar as in both cases the latest versions are driven by the electric motor and the engine just tops the battery up as required.

I was intending to go to an EV event this month where you are supposed to be able to drive various EVs - until I found out you had to pay up to £50 to get in! This is a shame as it seems to me If you want to get people into EVs offering free drives in a range of vehicles would be a good way to do it.

So I'll probably do the odd dealer EV test drive in the next couple of years as I ponder where to go next. Increasingly looking as if pure ICE will not be an option, as more and more manufacturers look like giving up on them rather than meet EU 7 in 2025. Ford we already know about, VW are dropping the Golf, Skoda have now said they'll probably drop the latest  Fabia (which has only recently been launched) as too expensive to equip to meet the new regs, etc, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I've tried Toyota and Honda hybrids as you know. I'm assuming the experience is pretty similar as in both cases the latest versions are driven by the electric motor and the engine just tops the battery up as required.

I was intending to go to an EV event this month where you are supposed to be able to drive various EVs - until I found out you had to pay up to £50 to get in! This is a shame as it seems to me If you want to get people into EVs offering free drives in a range of vehicles would be a good way to do it.

So I'll probably do the odd dealer EV test drive in the next couple of years as I ponder where to go next. Increasingly looking as if pure ICE will not be an option, as more and more manufacturers look like giving up on them rather than meet EU 7 in 2025. Ford we already know about, VW are dropping the Golf, Skoda have now said they'll probably drop the latest  Fabia (which has only recently been launched) as too expensive to equip to meet the new regs, etc, etc.

Yeah, the two you have tried are very similar to full EV driving. 

I would agree with Stephen about the " green" credentials when manufacturing the battery's etc. Not as green as the car manufacturers were making out as we well know. But what manufacturer/ retailer tells the truth nowadays. 

There's so much miss information on both sides of the argument. The 1000kg battery in the EVs isn't exactly true, more like on average 450kg.some more some less.  My car is about 150kg heavier than a comparable focus. So I won't worry about going into to a multistorey. There far more heavier vehicles on the road than mine. See all the petrol and diesel SUVs that's so popular the last 10 years. So maybe ban those and heavy vans from the crumbling roads, bridges and multistoreys. 

As for not having enough electric, I'm no expert so relied on national grid to inform me as I guess there best placed to know what the current( no pun intended) state of electric supply and estimated projected needs will be in the future . National grid have done a myth busting article not long ago which makes interesting reading. As someone point out a little earlier in the thread, we as a nation are using less electricity than some years ago. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, iantt said:

is there anyone on this forum apart from me who has actually road tested an ev

Good question!  In my experience, everyone who says "I would never have an electric car" has never driven one. 

And I don't know of anyone who has owned or leased an electric or hybrid car and then gone back to having a purely ICE car. 

Our decision to buy a plug-in hybrid was based on

1) the economics of 3-4p per mile (in 2017) for 50% of our driving.  I do understand that the economics has since changed.

2) the sheer smoothness of the car, especially when stationary/moving off from rest.

3) knowing that in traffic jams, multi-storey car parks, 3-point turns outside the school gates etc.  we weren't polluting the local environment.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, alanfp said:

Good question!  In my experience, everyone who says "I would never have an electric car" has never driven one. 

Untrue, I would never have one, and it has nothing to do with the driving experience. See my post 3 up...

8 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Untrue, I would never have one, and it has nothing to do with the driving experience.

So you've driven one, then? 🙂

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club