Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Energy chat, the future of car propulsion

StephenFord

Argh the last thing I want is an airtight house.    Vents! 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

Doesn't exactly tie in with the Covid prevention advice, either.😀

• Like 1

13 hours ago, unofix said:

For those intrested in Electric Vehicle charging points take a look at this YouTube video. Its for North America but about 90% of it is true for the UK.

What a fascinating video! Interesting that apart from Tesla, there is a N American standard car 'plug' adopted by all manufacturers. I was under the assumption that in Europe, there was still arguments over which plug should be adopted and it was still a mish mash of designs? Also, that plug the AC unit uses to get it's electric supply, looks awfully like a UK 3 pin domestic plug! In addition, it answered my original question in that Tesla has designed their system to run up to 16 cars on just one outlet - crikey, I almost sound in favour of EV now - I'm not! LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guy Heaton said:

What we need are active vents...  Something to hold the warm in, and keep the draughts out, until the air quality drops (CO2, VOCs, humidity etc) when they open to let fresh air in and close again once it's back to suitable levels. :smile: 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

What we need are active vents...  Something to hold the warm in, and keep the draughts out, until the air quality drops (CO2, VOCs, humidity etc) when they open to let fresh air in and close again once it's back to suitable levels. :smile: 

Yep, kinda like the front grill of the new BMW M series LOL

1 minute ago, StephenFord said:

Yep, kinda like the front grill of the new BMW M series LOL

Or indeed the Focus that has had active grille shutters since 2010...it's not anything new really! :laugh:  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

There goes your chance of patenting that idea, someone has beaten you to it 😀 iC8000 Intelligent Control System (passivent.com)

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

. I was under the assumption that in Europe, there was still arguments over which plug should be adopted and it was still a mish mash of designs?

Yes, so was I. Certainly a lot of chargers around which seem to have multiple socket types but possibly that's to cope with older cars and they're now one standard (except Tesla)? Must do more research.

The other total nonsense with charging points is the payment systems - various apps needed to access different networks instead of just pay by card. That really is an area where the Government should lean on the industry to sort it out. It's certainly one of the barriers to EV take up IMO.

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

crikey, I almost sound in favour of EV now - I'm not! LOL

Lol, I find it fascinating to learn how things work and you can be interested in something without necessarily wanting it. I'm very interested in military (and other) history, for example,  but I certainly don't want any more wars!

• Like 1

Solar panel prices have been absolutely slashed over the last decade, if they continue this downward trend and electric prices continue to rise, it'll  be less than 25 years to pay for themselves, double glazing when if first started was never going to pay for itself in energy cost saving, now it's basically a standard part of any home.
So homes after 1995 have 80A fuse, but most home in the UK were built well before them, my 1960 bungalow has a 100A fuse, and I would guess so does every house on the estate.

There are some climate change sceptics on here, but with record heat in northern America, Canada and Siberia, record floods in Germany, China, Turkey, Costa Rica and Belgium this year, something has to be done NOW,  it's no good waiting for some future tech that may or may not arrive, action has to be taken now. I'm all for the ban on new ICE vehicles

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mark-UK said:

.. it's no good waiting for some future tech that may or may not arrive, action has to be taken now....

Well, I just put an empty can of beans into my recycling - every little helps, eh? 😁

• Haha 2

If every household in the UK put one bean can a week in to recycling  thats around 120 tons of recycled tin a year, so yes every bit helps.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Mark-UK said:

... I'm all for the ban on new ICE vehicles

Mark, the UK currently contributes 1.1% of global emissions. Even if every UK ICE car was stopped tomorrow, do you really think we'd have any effect on global warming?

Yes.  Yes we would.  In so many different fields the cumulative effect of many small changes can be clearly proven.

Case in point.   In the last few years we've really thought about our single plastic bag usage, so even the disposable bags I get I will reuse several times.   How many houses in Britain?  Not sure, say 40 million.  If we all used one less bag that's 40 million fewer bags thrown into landfill.  That's a lot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I went with 15 million household, but yes it all added up. UK bans ICE  and the EU and California , that's going to be A LOT of motors, Just the same with incandescent light bulbs, such a little thing, but when you change billions of little things you start to get a big effect.

51 minutes ago, Mark-UK said:

If every household in the UK put one bean can a week in to recycling  thats around 120 tons of recycled tin a year, so yes every bit helps.

I wonder how much water would be wasted rinsing them out so as not to contaminate the paper in the recycling bin...  :ermm:

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Mark-UK said:

... Just the same with incandescent light bulbs...

I have 37 of the little blighters in my house, all but one has now been replaced with an LED one.  I can't find an LED one for my desk mounted magnifying lens LOL

However, the appeal of using and paying for 7W instead of 100W was a great persuader. I didn't need a government mandate to do so! If 'battery' cars are so good, we wouldn't need a government ban on the previous version of transport to persuade us...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

I wonder how much water would be wasted rinsing them out so as not to contaminate the paper in the recycling bin...  :ermm:

But they are going in different bins, so not relevant.

3 minutes ago, Mark-UK said:

But they are going in different bins, so not relevant.

Not in my council area...  Paper, card, plastic and metal all in the same recycling bin. 

Everything is meant to be clean and dry before being put in the bin but my neighbours can't even be bothered to use the correct bin, let alone make sure things are clean for the recycling bin. :sad: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

However, the appeal of using and paying for 7W instead of 100W was a great persuader. I didn't need a government mandate to do so! If 'battery' cars are so good, we wouldn't need a government ban on the previous version of transport to persuade us...

But low energy bulbs, became cheap because governments mandated them, they had to mass produce them which lowered the costs.

I've not seen any full cost comparison between ICE and EV they mainly just talk about "fuel" costs, but not a total long term running cost, there's  zero road tax, and looking on Tesla site no servicing cost, just replace cabin air filter and brake fluid every 2 years, that's it, they even say due to regen brakes the pad are unlikely to wear out.

If this is going to be the same for say a full EV focus, the saving say over 10 years (that the minimum I keep a car) start to add up, that most be a few thousand there I bet, plus the cheaper "fuel" and depending where you live the charge for driving an ICE in town .

3 minutes ago, Mark-UK said:

I've not seen any full cost comparison between ICE and EV they mainly just talk about "fuel" costs, but not a total long term running cost, there's  zero road tax, and looking on Tesla site no servicing cost, just replace cabin air filter and brake fluid every 2 years, that's it, they even say due to regen brakes the pad are unlikely to wear out.

Bottom line is, if I am on a budget (which I am), with £1000 cash on the hip, I can go out and buy numerous ICE cars to get me around. With that kind of budget, I may never have access to a EV car. I am not arrogant enough to think I am uniquely fiscally challenged.

As usual, government policy veers itself towards the 'rich' in society, as their financial and moral compass has no other base except what their own experience has given them...

10 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Not in my council area...  Paper, card, plastic and metal all in the same recycling bin. 

Everything is meant to be clean and dry before being put in the bin but my neighbours can't even be bothered to use the correct bin, let alone make sure things are clean for the recycling bin. :sad: 

***** hell your council looks to be well behind the trend, I currently have 3 bins, paper, metal and plastic, and general waste. I don't have the garden waste one due that being £30 a year and I just take my grass cutting to the tip myself, they keep mooting about a small food waste bin, but it gets pushed back every time (won't effect me I'm to tight to throw food away )

Now I'm all for recycling, but will total agree that having multiple bins is a real pain especially if you live in a terrace of flat.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StephenFord said:

Bottom line is, if I am on a budget (which I am), with £1000 cash on the hip, I can go out and buy numerous ICE cars .....

Yes that's true today, but I'm 100% positive that secondhand EV will drop to the same sort of price in time, and forget all the crap about battery life and losing power, ICE engine lose power over time those horses always see to get away some how.

23 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

2 years ago I barely recycled anything, however, my local council then provided me with a proper tool to easily recycle. Now, nothing leaves my house if it is able to be recycled, I'm become quite obsessive LOL (The brown bin beside is for garden waste)

1512353115_recyclingbin.thumb.jpg.ade4507f674bb6b3bf855a67bf63b298.jpg

• Like 3

Oh I like your stackable bins, that's a great idea.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club