Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Energy chat, the future of car propulsion

StephenFord

I read it on the internet so must be true 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Alex.S said:

Any truth in it? I’m not sure if I’m onto E10 yet, tend to just grab the green hose but not the expensive one! 

Lol pretty sure you will be on E10 by now, it was introduced beginning of September. Couple of threads on the site on E10 running at the moment.

I'm on my third tankful and haven't noticed any difference in mpg as yet, some members say they have, though. As for performance, again nothing noticeable, you'd probably compensate by subconsciously using a bit more accelerator anyway, unless you already drive everywhere on full throttle. The Gov.uk website gives this official advice on mpg:

Fuel economy

Using E10 petrol can slightly reduce fuel economy (the number of miles you are able to drive on a gallon of fuel). You may see a reduction of around 1%, but it is unlikely to be noticeable in everyday driving.

Other factors – such as your driving style or driving with under-inflated tyres or a roof rack – have a much more significant impact on fuel economy than using E10 petrol.

• Like 1

What’s the price for petrol or diesel elsewhere in uk? I’m near Glasgow currently paying an eye watering  £1.40. !! 

• Like 1

146.9 for petrol and 147.9 diesel I’ve seen at some round here.

Bishop Auckland, County Durham - Diesel £134.8 (Yes that is .8)

Interesting to note, the current cheapest worldwide price for a liter of petrol is Venezuela, at only 1p/liter (yep, that's 1p!). So, you could fill up, and still have the price of a Mars bar from a £1 coin LOL

• Haha 1

Had 15yrs of filling up for free once a week. 

It's now been 2yrs of putting hand in pocket for fuel. Still goes through me now paying for the damn stuff ☹️

On holiday at the mo - paid 137.7p per litre for E10 the other day at a Gulf 24 hour unmanned pay at pump station in Wells next the Sea, Norfolk. 

I was in jersey last week and they pay £1.20 a litre petrol or diesel. 

10 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Interesting to note, the current cheapest worldwide price for a liter of petrol is Venezuela, at only 1p/liter (yep, that's 1p!). So, you could fill up, and still have the price of a Mars bar from a £1 coin LOL

Mars bar in Venezuela probably at £1.40 a bar though! 

Venezuela rum costs way less than coke a cola so a triple rum and coke cost less than a single rum and coke. For my livers sake I’m glad I don’t live there. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Alex.S said:

Venezuela rum costs way less than coke a cola so a triple rum and coke cost less than a single rum and coke. For my livers sake I’m glad I don’t live there. 

I hope that applies to Dark rum not that Bacardi rubbish either.

• Haha 1

Cop 26

The delegates will have access to a fleet of 200 battery cars. However, due to a lack of charging facilities, they are commissioning a quantity of diesel generators to juice them all. You gotta laugh... 🤣

• Haha 5

Apparently there will be an announcement this week of a further package of green measures, including annual targets for the sale of EVs. It will be interesting to see how that will work. Not sure how you can "fine" manufacturers for not selling something if people don't want to buy it. Don't necessarily believe these things, but in a poll published last week 70%+ of respondents stated they didn't intend to buy an EV before 2030.

3 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Cop 26

The delegates will have access to a fleet of 200 battery cars. However, due to a lack of charging facilities, they are commissioning a quantity of diesel generators to juice them all. You gotta laugh... 🤣

If they intend using recycled chip shop oil for the generators then I hope they realise its Glasgow - the place will stink of deep fried mars bars😁

On 10/19/2021 at 2:29 PM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Apparently there will be an announcement this week of a further package of green measures, including annual targets for the sale of EVs. It will be interesting to see how that will work. Not sure how you can "fine" manufacturers for not selling something if people don't want to buy it. Don't necessarily believe these things, but in a poll published last week 70%+ of respondents stated they didn't intend to buy an EV before 2030.

I read the anoucement, and tonight when I drove to Tesco I noted all the cars passing me. All were in the age range of 4- 10 years old. That's what most folk round here drive. There not going to afford a new or nearly new electric car any time soon.

Im not poor as such but I couldn't afford or justify spending so much on a PCP for  a new car electric or ice. 

• Like 2

Motability are leasing basic id3 for zero advance payment. The same car a year ago was about a grand. 

3 hours ago, iantt said:

All were in the age range of 4- 10 years old. That's what most folk round here drive. 

Same round me, Ian. There's always been a smattering of brand new "executive" cars - BMW, Audi, Merc, etc - largely company lease cars which used to be predominantly diesel but are now mainly hybrid or full EV with the odd Tesla now joining the mix.

Most cars though are in the older age range, a surprising number 10 years plus. There's a Toyota Avensis and a Honda Concerto which are well over 20 years old, a first generation Vauxhall Vectra and a Granada Scorpio which are still in regular use, to name just a few. Judging by the number of builders vans that are always around, most folk prefer to spend their money on home improvements rather than new cars. 

On EVs, a thing that I've banged on about before is the charger situation, particularly payment. We recently had a holiday in Norfolk so I needed a fill up while we were there and would have needed to charge an EV if I had one. I was pleasantly surprised to find a bank of chargers in Wells next the Sea where we were staying, but found the only payment method was to have some app I'd never heard of on your mobile. The other thing was as the chargers were in a car park, as they often are, you had to pay to park while you were using them!

I was able to fill up at a 24 hour pay at pump petrol station which accepted any card, payment for EV charging needs to be equally simple.

• Like 3

On 10/13/2021 at 12:58 AM, Alex.S said:

What’s the price for petrol or diesel elsewhere in uk? I’m near Glasgow currently paying an eye watering  £1.40. !! 

Good morning Alex.S!

I do not know anything about prices in UK or other countries in Europe, the only thing i know and makes me very very very angry is that here in Greece current fuel prices are so high in comparison with the lowest salaries or wages for the Greek citizens in Europe!!!!

For example, petrol's price per litre goes up to 1,78€ and diesel's price per litre up to 1,65!!!

And it rises and rises every single day with no stop at all!!!

It is such so frustrating!!!!

Greetings from expencive Greece!!!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, iantt said:

Im not poor as such but I couldn't afford or justify spending so much on a PCP for  a new car electric or ice. 

I suppose it's worth remembering that they're not saying we all must suddenly buy a new EV in 2030, just if we do decide to buy a new car from that point on it has to be zero emission.

Still not sure, btw, what date in 2030 they mean - January or December is a big difference. Anyone seen any clarification of that yet?

It's also worth remembering, that because of the reasons stated above, the value of used ICE cars will sky rocket for years after that date whilst people come to terms on how the government have screwed with their lives, and struggle to find the money for increased energy costs, new heating pumps, home insulation etc etc...

Though maybe by that stage, government may have invested in fracking, and more power stations when they realise that relying on sunshine, and wind blowing in the UK isn't the best policy.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

the value of used ICE cars will sky rocket for years after that date

Such a pessimist! Obviously by then we'll have EV's that give 1000 miles of range from a 30 second charge of a 1.5v duracell!

But seriously, it's all rather frustrating. I think I've mentioned before that when I joined the electricity supply industry over 50 years ago the industry had a very coherent plan for moving to nuclear, progressively transitioning along the way via cleaner coal technologies and gas, and bringing renewables into the mix as the technology emerged. 

If that had been allowed to happen we'd probably be a lot nearer net-zero than we are now.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

... I joined the electricity supply industry over 50 years ago the industry had a very coherent plan for moving to nuclear... 

I'm of an age when this was discussed on Tomorrows World, where the main issue was that nuclear would be so cheap to produce, it wouldn't be worth the admin in billing people for it LOL

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, StephenFord said:

nuclear would be so cheap to produce, it wouldn't be worth the admin in billing people for it LOL

I've been thinking I must be on that, supposed to be billed monthly but haven't been charged since May. Can't find out why, as usual "online chat isn't working at the moment - please phone" then the phone says "all our lines are busy - please use online chat". My online account shows that they are getting regular readings from the smart meter and I have a direct debit in place so if they don't want to take the money I'm not complaining. Probably they're all WFH on their Peleton bikes!😀

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club