Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Energy chat, the future of car propulsion

StephenFord

41 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I'm pretty certain there will be, but time restraints & financial restraints mean we're stuck with the best option 'at the moment', as with many things in life. 🤔

Again, good point but what we don't need is to overcommit to Betamax (using our favourite analogy) when VHS and DVD may be just around the corner. This is a hard question with no easy answers and I'm glad I'm not sitting an exam on it!😀

It seems very difficult to find a balanced view on hydrogen vs batteries, and I have a feeling that the answer will be use both for certain applications, rather than an either/or situation.

Bookmarked a couple of fairly balanced articles, though:

https://www.theengineer.co.uk/batteries-and-hydrogen-competing-npl/

https://www.energymagazine.com.au/why-hydrogen-is-the-better-battery/

• Like 1

Walking, cycling and public transport may be a good move if you live in urban areas. But some of us live essentially in the the sticks(rural areas of UK) Not in my lifetime have I been able to get a bus to work. Did once work at a garage for 18 months that was in walking/cycling distance but wasn't a viable job as pay was so low even taking into account no fuel costs. 

• Like 2

Was nice and nostalgic  to smell the aroma of carbon monoxide and oil burning today. Had an Aston Martin db6 in today choking us with its exhaust fumes. Happy days those were! Added bonus of headaches back then 😂😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, iantt said:

Not in my lifetime have I been able to get a bus to work. 

Yeah, I never worked anywhere I could get the bus either. Only really been able to do so since retiring. Used the train a lot for business trips to London, though.

Since our recent house move I've started to walk to work but only with weather permitting. Can't feel my hands or legs from the knees down today so sat on the warm canteen thawing out 🙄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wino said:

Since our recent house move I've started to walk to work but only with weather permitting. Can't feel my hands or legs from the knees down today so sat on the warm canteen thawing out 🙄

I'm sure you can buy a pair of Thinsulate gloves for about a quid lol.  

On that subject though, I switched from my 'light' jacket to a parka over the weekend (bought as a gift last winter).  I'd forgotten how much difference it makes, especially to wind chill on the chest.  Can't say my legs get cold while walking though, they're doing all the work!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, iantt said:

Walking, cycling and public transport may be a good move if you live in urban areas. But some of us live essentially in the the sticks(rural areas of UK) Not in my lifetime have I been able to get a bus to work. Did once work at a garage for 18 months that was in walking/cycling distance but wasn't a viable job as pay was so low even taking into account no fuel costs. 

Been there, done that...  Moved to suburbia 6 years ago and the novelty still hasn't worn off yet! :biggrin:  

Sounds like an EV would work for you though.  Especially if your employer fitted some chargers in the staff carpark, and used solar panels to help power them...  The gov't could offer some financial help for things like that. 

All this talk of cold knees brings to mind my first term at Grammar School in 1963. You still had to wear shorts for Year 1 and that winter was quite cold (global warming was yet to be invented😀). I lived about 6/7 miles from the school and on particularly bad days the school bus was cancelled, so we had to walk home through the snow in our shorts.

Didn't seem to have done us any harm, but I was pleased to move up to the second form the next year when you could wear long trousers! 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I lived about 6/7 miles from the school and on particularly bad days the school bus was cancelled, so we had to walk home through the snow in our shorts.

That is a long walk! I thought my primary school walk of a 4 mile round trip was long LOL Kids these days, they don't know they're born 🤣

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

I'm sure you can buy a pair of Thinsulate gloves for about a quid lol.  

On that subject though, I switched from my 'light' jacket to a parka over the weekend (bought as a gift last winter).  I'd forgotten how much difference it makes, especially to wind chill on the chest.  Can't say my legs get cold while walking though, they're doing all the work!

Lol Tom, I do have some gloves somewhere in a box. 

I think I misjudged the weather as walking in shorts, t- shirt and a lightweight breathable jacket wasn't one of me best decisions of late 🤔

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

That is a long walk! I thought my primary school walk of a 4 mile round trip was long LOL Kids these days, they don't know they're born 🤣

The school had a pretty big catchment area, so I was quite near compared to some! After year 1 I started going on my bike (not allowed when you were in the first form), so I could do after school activities. (The school special left promptly at close of lessons so it was bike or walk!) On days when I wasn't staying late I still used the bike and set myself a target of getting home before the bus overtook me. Usually I did (mind you, you should have seen the state of the school buses!). All this must be responsible for the amazing standard of fitness I enjoy today lol!😀

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Wino said:

I think I misjudged the weather as walking in shorts, t- shirt and a lightweight breathable jacket wasn't one of me best decisions of late 🤔

I've given up on shorts for this year I think! Beautiful sunny day here, but rather chilly - definitely feeling backendish!😀

Don't think I've worn shorts since about 2003! :laugh:  

2 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I lived about 6/7 miles from the school and on particularly bad days the school bus was cancelled, so we had to walk home through the snow in our shorts.

School dinners must have been more substantial back then!  I can't imagine an 8 mile walk on a Billy Bear sandwich, packet of Pom Bears & a Freddo.  The SunnyD was a decent source of energy though. :biggrin: 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

... The SunnyD was a decent source of energy though. :biggrin: 

You do know the plastic bottle that comes in is more nutritious than the bottle content, right? LOL 😁

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, StephenFord said:

You do know the plastic bottle that comes in is more nutritious than the bottle content, right? LOL 😁

Indeed...and with no plastic recycling back then, will still be perfectly preserved in a landfill somewhere. :sad: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

School dinners must have been more substantial back then! 

Oh yes! To this day I have a great liking for what the Mrs and I call "school puddings", ie something stodgy like jam roly poly served with lashings of custard. You need a good walk to burn that stuff off!😀

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I've given up on shorts for this year I think! Beautiful sunny day here, but rather chilly - definitely feeling backendish!😀

Too warm at work in the warehouse unfortunately. So shorts n T- shirt all year round.

5 hours ago, Wino said:

Too warm at work in the warehouse unfortunately. So shorts n T- shirt all year round.

Have you got any of those trousers with the zip off legs?  :biggrin:

Do you work with something hot out of interest?  I thought warehouses were generally pretty cold!

22 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Have you got any of those trousers with the zip off legs?  :biggrin:

Do you work with something hot out of interest?  I thought warehouses were generally pretty cold!

No....no trousers with zip off legs, it's not the chippendales 😄 although shorts do have to be knee length.

No nothing hot in this job. My previous work was working with hot asphalt 24/7 for the last 30yrs in all weathers but the amount of PPE was beyond a joke by the end.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Wino said:

Pretty much sums up the current ( no pun intended) situation with EV vehicles.....

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-10161697/Volvo-says-electric-car-making-emissions-70-HIGHER-petrol.html

Polestar (Volvo's associate company) said something similar a while back.

I don't get the comment in the article that Volvo's statement has been "challenged by experts". What Volvo (and Polestar) are saying is not exactly to their advantage as leading makers of EVs, so why would they get it wrong? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Polestar (Volvo's associate company) said something similar a while back.

But how could that be? It's the government mandating us all to buy these stupid cars, and they are never wrong. Just look at the way they promoted and subsidised diesel cars in the 90s, that all worked out so well.

Maybe I'm now of an age that has lived through too many 'government' c*ck ups to just blindly believe their vision of the future...

I also have a dollop of common sense which is rare in any member of the government.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

But how could that be? It's the government mandating us all to buy these stupid cars, and they are never wrong.

They are wrong about Heat Pumps too. Innocent people will find that out the hard way in the coming years. What is worse about that is that we are all subsidising them with our hard earned cash. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here in Greece our government announced yesterday that from 2030 diesel and petrol are about to stop!!!

But hey have not told us, are fuels going to extinct or just the fossil fuelled cars going to be replaced for ever with the EVs???

I am disputant to the EVs evolution because i like a lot fossil fuelled cars and i am not an ecologist at all !!!

Fossil fuelled cars are not so pollutant for the environment because of their continuous evolution (euro 6-7).

Elon Musk sales EVs for the very rich people in earth.

EVs are in general for the rich people!!!

These EVs (all the brands of them) are such so expensive that a lot of people (including me) would not be able to buy, so there becomes a great problem of people's commuting....

Some EV makers are going to be richer and richer every single day from now on, but a lot of the poor people in 8 years are going to be drivers with no vehicle at all!!!

I am so angry with those idiots!!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Alexis94040 said:

Here in Greece our government announced yesterday that from 2030 diesel and petrol are about to stop!!!

No doubt, they have planned the stopping of 'hybrid' cars too, which I just can't get my head round at all...

• Like 1