Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Energy chat, the future of car propulsion

StephenFord

13 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

The green generation will just have to decide what their priorities are. If we're talking "safety" features like lane departure that tries to steer you where you don't want to go and "security" features like keyless entry that gets your car stolen, many of us can well do without anyway!😀

Lol, no I meant the actual chassis design and the physical parts that increase occupant & pedestrian safety really.  

Security will always be a constant battle as well.  Whether keyed or keyless, crims won't stop trying to get around those systems.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Security will always be a constant battle as well.  Whether keyed or keyless, crims won't stop trying to get around those systems.

Are you sure? They won't get far in a battery car.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Whether keyed or keyless, crims won't stop trying to get around those systems.

Now, what if every battery car in the future had an embedded chip in the charging point which could be read by every charger? That way a stolen battery car could be blocked from being charged, or at the very least, the whereabouts reported to the authorities. Just a thought...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pcaouolte said:

Are you sure? They won't get far in a battery car.

Why not?  It's just software, there'll be ways to hack it.  The days of hotwiring died out 20 years ago!

3 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Now, what if every battery car in the future had an embedded chip in the charging point which could be read by every charger? That way a stolen battery car could be blocked from being charged, or at the very least, the whereabouts reported to the authorities. Just a thought...

Trackers should be standard nowadays imo...but people would complain that's against their privacy rights as they already do with FordPass etc. :rolleyes: 

Being able to block the charge port remotely does sound like a good idea though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Why not?  It's just software, there'll be ways to hack it.  The days of hotwiring died out 20 years ago!

Lol, I think Paul meant it would run out of range before they got to the end of the road?😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I see that one is a "restomod" that's been electrified - but If they did a production model EV like that rather than yet another 3 tonne SUV, it might get a few people a bit more interested in EVs.

4 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Lol, I think Paul meant it would run out of range before they got to the end of the road?😀

Ah, I did wonder!  Tbf I know plenty of people that live on the red light in ICE cars anyway though! :laugh:

On 11/23/2021 at 7:23 PM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Will also watch this one out of interest, but from what I've seen it's more concerned with how ethical EV makers supply chains are, rather than about the pros and cons of EVs themselves.

As suspected, the programme was about cobalt mining in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Not a pleasant watch. Tesla (the end user for a lot of this stuff) were apparently given the opportunity to respond but declined to comment.

The Guardian recently ran a similar story:

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2021/nov/08/cobalt-drc-miners-toil-for-30p-an-hour-to-fuel-electric-cars

17 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

As suspected, the programme was about cobalt mining in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Just got round to watching it, nice to see a local boy, reporter (Darragh Macintyre) on the job, his work on NI investigative show, 'Spotlight', has been excellent.

It does state the bleedin' obvious though, there is NO 'green car'! Cobalt mining is a horrendous industry, however, the 'lithium' that all these cars use in abundance isn't a joyful thing either. (The 'west' will probably end up invading Afghanistan in the future too to protect this now increasingly valuable resource)

But the thing is, yes, 'green activists' scream from the rafters that there is no pollutants from the tail pipe, but gloss over the enormous environmental harm collating the ingredients to get one of these atrocious machines on the road in the first place.

I can happily drive my 16 year old pile of cr*p for the rest of my days and still have a lower carbon footprint than the creation of a single new battery car.

I'll be dead by the time developed world governments wake up to the actual environmental harm they have caused the planet in human suffering, and actual devastation caused by over mining . Still, with every passing day, my mantra of, 'I told you so', sadly just gets stronger...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Just got round to watching it, nice to see a local boy reporter (Darragh Macintyre) on the job, his work on NI investigative show, 'Spotlight', has been excellent.

It does state the bleedin' obvious though, there is NO 'green car'! Cobalt mining is a horrendous industry, however, the 'lithium' that all these cars use in abundance isn't a joyful thing either. (The 'west' will probably end up invading Afghanistan in the future too to protect this now valuable resource)

But the thing is, yes, 'green activists' scream from the rafters that there is no pollutants from the tail pipe, but gloss over the enormous environmental harm collating the ingredients to get one of these atrocious machines on the road in the first place.

I can happily drive my 16 year old pile of cr*p for the rest of my days and still have a lower carbon footprint than the creation of a single new battery car.

I'll be dead by the time developed world governments wake up to the actual environmental harm they have caused the planet in human suffering, and actual devastation caused by over mining . Still, with every passing day, my mantra of, 'I told you so', sadly just gets stronger...

The West had their chance and overlooked the “lithium”opportunity:it’s all about China now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, williamweb said:

The West had their chance and overlooked the “lithium”opportunity:it’s all about China now.

Indeed, and I just loved India's response to COP26, where they stated, 'You give us a $Trillion, and we'll think about doing some 'green' environmental measures...'

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

'I told you so', sadly just gets stronger...

ditto !!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A heads up for diesel owners…….brace yourselves…E9979BD9-4DB1-4C73-BBA8-89284C5804D3.thumb.png.da9e9e6a7315812403a0a9692c322b5d.png

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Alex.S said:

A heads up for diesel owners…….brace yourselves…E9979BD9-4DB1-4C73-BBA8-89284C5804D3.thumb.png.da9e9e6a7315812403a0a9692c322b5d.png

To be relaunched as Kynect so all the old jokes will have to be re-written!

Now this should be the future of electric cars😂😂😂😂😂

sddefault.jpg

• Haha 2

Actually, this is the future for all electric cars, when we run out of the raw resources needed to make/replace the batteries

horse.png

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Carl123 said:

Actually, this is the future for all electric cars, when we run out of the raw resources needed to make/replace the batteries

horse.png

😂😂😂, Seen that image some time ago. There's another one with a bus. 

Who knew how many chips are in new cars these days, explains why Ford have brought out afaik a trim called ‘design’ with hardly any toys. Hyundai..here I come..

New cars can require up to 1400 computer chips to manage various systems, ranging from electric windows to infotainment screens and active driver safety systems.

seems hard to believe! I’d have guessed 3 or 4 !!! 

9 hours ago, Alex.S said:

seems hard to believe! I’d have guessed 3 or 4 !!! 

Now, that was a very lo ball guess LOL I opened up a central heating timer recently and could see 8 in that very basic instrument!

9 hours ago, Alex.S said:

Who knew how many chips are in new cars these days, explains why Ford have brought out afaik a trim called ‘design’ with hardly any toys. Hyundai..here I come..

I'm considering replacing my Mondeo for a Hyundai. 

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Not sure how his insurance company would deal with that claim! 

2 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

Not sure how his insurance company would deal with that claim! 

Oh the irony, all that carbon saved from driving that thing for years, wiped out in an instant with a volatile carbon rich explosion. Still, shows what Tesla owners of the future should be doing with their cars LOL

• Like 1