Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Energy chat, the future of car propulsion

StephenFord

4 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Well, a £Billion here, a £Billion there, sooner or later it starts to add up to real money!

Yeah, the windfall tax might raise enough to cover the storage costs of the surplus PPE mountain!😀

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Yeah, the windfall tax might raise enough to cover the storage costs of the surplus PPE mountain!😀

I'm in 2 minds about this. In March 2020, I'm not sure we would have whinged at government for having a mountain of PPE...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

I'm in 2 minds about this. In March 2020, I'm not sure we would have whinged at government for having a mountain of PPE...

Don't be too hasty, the majority of the PPE wasn't even fit for purpose, lol 

• Like 1

I'm in 2 minds about this.In March 2020, I'm not sure we would have whinged at government for having a mountain of PPE...

Yes, I'm a bit like that at the moment about these sorts of issues, probably in more than 2 minds sometimes!

What does grate with me is how various people got themselves onto a "VIP suppliers list", just by having an "in" via various politicians/officials. In many cases these people had no background in what they were supplying and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the stuff that turned out to be unfit for purpose came via that route.

It's good to see though, that at least some of the usable stuff is going to places that have a need for it, such as Ukraine, rather than ending up in incinerators, etc.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wino said:

Don't be too hasty, the majority of the PPE wasn't even fit for purpose, lol 

Considering the differences in worldwide certified PPE standards, and the tolerances of 1000s of manufactures, the NHS ended up accepting massive donations of masks etc made by FaceBook communities who used old T/Shirts! 'fit for purpose' had a very limited meaning...

Just read an article from the us , motorists having a moan about the cost of gas( petrol) I feel  for them now having to pay 93p a litre. To be fair I remember paying 32p a litre a few years ago in Orlando.   😭😭

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, iantt said:

Just read an article from the us , motorists having a moan about the cost of gas( petrol) I feel  for them now having to pay 93p a litre. 😭😭

Just wait till 2035 when Sleepy Biden's law comes into force where they ban new petrol car sales. Charging about 300 Million vehicles may have it's own issues 🤣

1 minute ago, StephenFord said:

Just wait till 2035 when Sleepy Biden's law comes into force where they ban new petrol car sales. Charging about 300 Million vehicles may have it's own issues 🤣

Never happen. 

Just now, iantt said:

Never happen. 

I know - they have guns!! LOL

Just now, StephenFord said:

I know - they have guns!! LOL

Yep, and that's why you don't stare at motorists as you drive past. Keep lookin ahead and don't make eye contact. 

• Like 1

Can't help but feel the thing causing the problem is the recent haste to implement an ICE ban (which ought to be labelled a fossil fuel ban imo - nothing wrong with the IC engine, it's what you run it on that causes problems).

I wasn't too uncomfortable with the original proposed date of 2040 or so, which would have given time for a few more eggs to be laid and placed in different baskets.

Interesting article in this week's Autocar  (for those who read the mags in the supermarket while their partners get on with the shopping) highlighting the effect of electrification, parts shortages and raw material costs on car pricing, and leasing costs in particular.

The head man at Stellantis has even rated rising prices as an issue that could destabilise society by pricing people out of cars, especially EVs,  and restricting freedom of movement.

Well, I guess he might say that, and others might say the question could be addressed by better and cheaper public transport, but food for thought nevertheless.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Can't help but feel the thing causing the problem is the recent haste to implement an ICE ban...

Last year I posted on this very thread, 'I told you so...' on predicting when the whole battery car issue goes t*ts up. I have it bookmarked so I can produce it once again at the appropriate time, which with every passing week seems to get closer 🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Last year I posted on this very thread, 'I told you so...' on predicting when the whole battery car issue goes t*ts up. I have it bookmarked so I can produce it once again at the appropriate time, which with every passing week seems to get closer 🤣

Just say it now, you know you want to. 

• Haha 2

'I told you so...'

Because I fear the real ***** will hit the fan after I'm gone. So I'm going to pay for a centre page spread in the national press for 2040 saying "i told you so"

Of course Putin may make the whole concern of electric anything irrelevant if he pushes the button. No wait ... think it will be OK, Sleepy Joe is going to sort it all out 🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, unofix said:

... Sleepy Joe is going to sort it all out 🤣

Many will know that the big red button on the presidential desk when Trump was there, was to instantly command his butler to arrive in with a Diet Coke. I believe that Biden has had it converted to a nice mug of Horlicks, though he now drinks so much, he falls asleep all the time, accidentally nudging the button again - it's a dreadful circle 😅

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, unofix said:

Because I fear the real ***** will hit the fan after I'm gone. So I'm going to pay for a centre page spread in the national press for 2040 saying "i told you so"

Of course Putin may make the whole concern of electric anything irrelevant if he pushes the button. No wait ... think it will be OK, Sleepy Joe is going to sort it all out 🤣

By 2040 I will be going back to being a baby again. Dribbling, pooing my pants and unable to do anything my self. 

7 minutes ago, iantt said:

By 2040 I will be going back to being a baby again

The correct medical term I believe is the 'Biden' syndrome 😉

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Reading the other day that Ford and Volvo are among 27 companies that have signed a petition calling on the EU to ban the sale of new ICE cars from 2035.

My immediate thoughts were : "Turkeys voting for Xmas" followed  by "Hang on, I thought they'd banned them already from that date".

Reading further though, it seems that although the EU (and UK, for that matter) have proposed  the measure, no-one has passed any actual legislation.

It seems the companies are trying to prod the legislators into coming up with some clarity on the issue, and get a grip on the massive increase in charging infrastructure required.

Similarly, governments have talked of quotas of EVs to be sold by 2025, but not said what the quotas will be or what the penalties will be for not hitting them. Again, the industry (and Carlos Tavares of Stellantis has been very prominent on this) are in effect saying "we can build the cars, but we can't force people to buy them and they won't do that unless they are confident in the charging infrastructure".

Edited by Eric Bloodaxe
Missed out ICE in the first para!😀
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes ,charging infrastructure improvement. But what about the cost to buy. Still far to high for average Joe to buy new or second hand. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Reading the other day that Ford and Volvo are among 27 companies that have signed a petition calling on the EU to ban the sale of new ICE cars from 2035.

I look forward to when they agree a quota rather than a total ban - I have my 'bookmark' post all ready to go, the "I told you so" one...🤣

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, StephenFord said:

And ? 

28 minutes ago, iantt said:

Still far to high for average Joe to buy new or second hand. 

Absolutely. I don't really see the manufacturers talking much about cutting the price of EVs though. I've seen quite a few top motor industry people making noises about chasing  profitability over volume, and prioritising vehicles with a high transaction price during chip, etc, shortages.

Looks as if motoring may be going back to being something only for the better off and the rest of us can get on the bus/bike/shank's pony!

I suppose there might be a bit of chicken and egg in this. They might sell more if prices come down, but to bring prices down they need to achieve economies of scale by selling more! 

• Like 1

I’ve been researching (watching YouTube) for a possible ev replacement for the focus. Hyundai kona in particular. The high spec one ‘ultimate’ is £38k.  But with the same battery and cheaper trim the premium at £32k.
thing is the infrastructure isn’t really there but if u are lucky enough to have a charger at home , 300 miles + , depending on your tariff, £5 - £15 for a full charge. I currently get about 390 miles , a full tank these days is what about £90 .. I predict the price of electricity will go thru the roof , financially hurting everybody ev owner or not . News up here today is oil rig workers possibly striking , the whole sector is screwed . 

1 hour ago, Alex.S said:

I’ve been researching (watching YouTube) for a possible ev replacement for the focus. Hyundai kona in particular. The high spec one ‘ultimate’ is £38k.  But with the same battery and cheaper trim the premium at £32k.
thing is the infrastructure isn’t really there but if u are lucky enough to have a charger at home , 300 miles + , depending on your tariff, £5 - £15 for a full charge. I currently get about 390 miles , a full tank these days is what about £90 .. I predict the price of electricity will go thru the roof , financially hurting everybody ev owner or not . News up here today is oil rig workers possibly striking , the whole sector is screwed . 

Kona is one of the few cars that has decent mileage (64kwh) between charges. Even the 39kwh isn't too bad depending on your daily drive to work and back. I'm fortunate I do round trip of 29mls a day so electric car would suit my needs day to day. Probably only need to charge one evening a week. Even a plug in  hybrid would work for me but would need to connect every evening to get full advantage of cheaper fuel costs. Then petrol used any time I need to go further afield than 35 miles. 

What is stopping me is the cost to buy new or used. Still to expensive even thou I would save over £1000 a year in fuel costs at current fuel costs/electric rates. 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club